LG W2486L LED BLU

So there is no way that a display with 2ms response time could possibly be IPS? :(

What kind of turn around are we talking about from CES to full production and to the market?

How do they get the huge contrast ratios?
Note the phrase "Dynamic contrast ratio".

The idea behind the word "Dynamic" is to fluff the already exagerrated "contrast" ratio, pardon the layman's explanation but think of it as bullshit on top of bullshit ;)

You almost can't rely on contrast measurements anymore, unless you're comparing different technologies against one another such as CRT vs Plasma vs LCD vs DLP, or products from within the same mfr product line.

Note the phrase "Dynamic contrast ratio".

The idea behind the word "Dynamic" is to fluff the already exagerrated "contrast" ratio, pardon the layman's explanation but think of it as bullshit on top of bullshit ;)

No, your explanation of "dynamic contrast ratio" or any spect CR more that 1300:1 for LCD monitors "as bullshit on top of bullshit" is the most accurate and gives the precise idea of what it is.
Congratulations.
I would suggest that consumers community pays zero attention to the products advertised this way.
Let trick players go out of business.

1000000:1 contrast suggests local dimming, in which case, there is at least some truth to the contrast ratio, unlike the dynamic contrast we see today.

LED backlit TN? What's the bloody point? :)
What's wrong with an LED TN? If it improves colors and backlight uniformity, the only drawback would be viewing angles, which I would gladly sacrifice for response time.

I see narrow viewing angles and shifting colors as a far bigger problem than response time in current monitors. I bet most wouldn't notice any difference between 2ms and 5ms.

Who makes the Apple 24" LED panel? It seems to be S-PVA or IPS.

ugh, i'd rather get the samsung p2370L

this thing looks fugly ugly

ugh, it also looks really ugly. when is the effing samsung xl2370 coming out?

Local dimming is expensive to implement especially for a large number of zones.
Blooming is an issue when the number of zones is limited.
In the case that this display features local dimming, do not expect a large of number of zones...

Well this monitor is finally out on Newegg, here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005134

A bit expensive for a 24" TN panel. I would like to know how much better it looks than a standard TN.

You're basically paying extra for being on the cutting edge with LED backlight. It would assume there may be better backlight uniformity, but that's about it.

No real change to colors. From what I've read, I believe LED backlight can push color gamut up to 140% which florescent backlight is incapable of.

saw this live at frys today. it is NICE. i would have purchased it except it was the display model and tax. amazon has it for 349 shipped. you will not be disappointed. it was really, really NICE!!!!!

Well the sad part is...

I wish they stop selling monitors with 16:9 aspect ration, and labeling them PC monitors , when PC is 16:10

16:9 is a TV ratio, I rather have 16:10 that's more friendly with my Games!

Well the sad part is...

I wish they stop selling monitors with 16:9 aspect ration, and labeling them PC monitors , when PC is 16:10

16:9 is a TV ratio, I rather have 16:10 that's more friendly with my Games!

How did you feel about 4:3? That was a TV aspect ratio too.:rolleyes:

And generally, if an engine supports 16:10 it'll do 16:9.

Well it has more to do with what resolutions game developers offer for a game. There is difference between 16:9 TV resolutions and 16:10 PC monitor resolutions. A 16:10 res on gets squeezed a bit on 16:9 monitor. And a 16:9 res gets stretched on a 16:10

I've seen games that have control bars at the side or bottom that are missing part of the bar (controls) on a 16:9 monitor. What would solve the darn problems is just for Hollywood and Tech companies just agree on ONE aspect ratio, as in drop one or the other!

I plan on purchasing this monitor when its in stock at retailers, but I kind of bummed that LG has left it with no height adjustment.

Well it has more to do with what resolutions game developers offer for a game. There is difference between 16:9 TV resolutions and 16:10 PC monitor resolutions. A 16:10 res on gets squeezed a bit on 16:9 monitor. And a 16:9 res gets stretched on a 16:10

I've seen games that have control bars at the side or bottom that are missing part of the bar (controls) on a 16:9 monitor. What would solve the darn problems is just for Hollywood and Tech companies just agree on ONE aspect ratio, as in drop one or the other!

I plan on purchasing this monitor when its in stock at retailers, but I kind of bummed that LG has left it with no height adjustment.

Depends on the scaling your monitor or graphics card supports. 16:10 content is simply shown pillar boxed on my 2343bwx, and 16:9 was letterboxed on my 2005FPW, but either could be set to stretch.

What games are doing that to you? It seems like an ini hack or some console parameters would be able to fix it.

Hollywood and Tech companies are beginning to agree on a ratio, and it's 16:9, much to the chagrin of quite a few around here. I welcome standardization and would like to point out verticle resolution is quite easily fixed with higher resolution panels like the 2343bwx, SP2309W, and new Acers. 16:9 doesn't have to mean 1920x1080. ;)

Back