cpu cooling mod for sugo

BadONE

n00b
Everyone owning a Sugo Silverstone SG01 knows about the problem to find a good cpu cooler for this case. A cpu cooler for this case cannot be higher than about 82 mm, because the power supply is placed directly over the cpu.
Since I purchased a core 2 quad recently I was not too happy with the cooling performance of my old cooler the NT-06 from Silverstone. In Prime95 I got easily around 80 C° degrees here so I looked for something different.
There is the NT-06 Evolution from Silverstone, which is similar to the old NT-06 Nitrogen, but has 5 heat pipes instead of 3. After purchasing one I discovered, that this cooler has very bad build quality, even the base plate appeared to be more convex than even, a very disappointing experience. A replacement cooler had the same problems, so I finally gave up on these coolers.
So I decided to mod one of the best cpu coolers available: The Noctua NH-C12P modded to fit into the Sugo Silverstone.

This cooler has a very impressive build quality:
Cooler_before.jpg

After the grinding work:
Cooler_after.jpg

Cooler_after2.jpg

Cooler_after3.jpg

The original Corsair fan was replaced by the Noctua fan, which is very quiet and spins up to 1300 rpm and was connected to the cpu fan header of the mainboard:
Fan_in_corsair.jpg

Everything in place, fresh air coming through the holes of the acryl window to the cooler, with the fins being positioned ideally, parallel to the incoming air:
Cooler_installed.jpg

The very satisfying result, temperatures dropped about 15-20 °C:
Prime.jpg

You will however lose the Corsair warranty, if you replace the original fan of the power supply. But IMO the PS will not take any damage, the hotter air coming from the cpu is compensated by the increased airflow.

I was going to ask about clearance for taller ram modules but that last pic says it all...

well done!

I was going to ask about clearance for taller ram modules but that last pic says it all...

well done!

Thank you! I never exspected the difference to be so huge, so I'm pleasently surprised by the great performance of this cooler, but the Noctus NH-C12P is considered to be the best TopBlow cooler available.

Okay, let me see if i understand this correctly. You took the Noctua NH-C12P, which is 113mm tall and ground the top fins down till it was about 82mm in height overall? Impressive. Did you grind or change anything else on the Noctua? Also about how long did it take you to grind it down? And what grit sanding paper? I'd be curious if this would work in a SG03. Might be a fun mod to try. :)

Okay, let me see if i understand this correctly. You took the Noctua NH-C12P, which is 113mm tall and ground the top fins down till it was about 82mm in height overall? Impressive. Did you grind or change anything else on the Noctua? Also about how long did it take you to grind it down? And what grit sanding paper? I'd be curious if this would work in a SG03. Might be a fun mod to try. :)

No, the heatsink itself is only 90 mm in height, 113 mm is with the fan (supposed to be on top) installed, so about 8 mm have to come off from the top, it is not that hard to do. You should use a belt sander or similar (about 180-240 grit sanding material), doing it without a machine would be cumbersome, i'm guessing, but still possible.
Grinding direction should be parallel to the fins, even though the fins are rather stiff and quite hard to bend.
Nothing else has to be changed with the cooler, it will fit perfectly into a Sugo SG01 or SG02, SG03, SG04 ..

Okay with the fan its 113mm. I was wondering how that was done going from 113mm to 82mm. LOL If I build another SG03 I just may try that Noctua heatsink mod. This could be a big help for people wanting to use a quad cpu in a Sugo case.

What would it take you to do another one (assuming you have the belt sander at your disposal)?

I have an SG-03 and this same cooler, but I didn't have the balls to grind it down. Your thread has inspired me to give it a shot with my dremel this weekend. It might be a little uneven but I think it will be worth it. Nice work!

that is an awesome mod! maybe I will look into doing this in my SG02 (Coming in the mail!!!!!!!!)

Hey,

I'm really tempted to do this mod for a i5 upgrade I'm planning, for SG02. However, the C12P is $70... quite expensive. I also saw the Scythe Zipang 2, which looks similar but slightly shorter w/o the fan. Does anyone know how the two compare? I can't seem to find any reviews comparing both.

Thanks!

Hey,

I'm really tempted to do this mod for a i5 upgrade I'm planning, for SG02. However, the C12P is $70... quite expensive. I also saw the Scythe Zipang 2, which looks similar but slightly shorter w/o the fan. Does anyone know how the two compare? I can't seem to find any reviews comparing both.

Thanks!

bump?
I'm also looking at the Corsair H50, but that costs a lot too. Anyone tried C12P, Zipang, or H50 in SG01/02 can share info?

Don't think anyone has tried putting a H50 in a SG1 or SG02 yet. Just the SG03 and Lian-Li v351 so far is all I have seen. I'm going with a H50 in my SG03 rebuild next month.

Back