Coil Squeal During Folding

So I just finished building the new rig yesterday and everything seems fine boots up no driver issues yada yada but when i get into the crysis menu it makes an odd squealing sound
its not too bad and ends once in the game
Now with a powerful system i dont want anything to go to waste so i downloaded f@h gpu and cpu clients booted up the gpu one first (working for this team of course :p) and what do you know the same squeal except it never goes away during the whole work unit
Now not content with odd sounds in my computer i researched what this could be and found that its not an uncommon problem with the 260gtx and not essential however while snooping around in the case with a paper towel roll :p i discovered that not only is it coming from the gpu (most definitely is) but also the psu. So i boot up the computer with my old seasonic 550 and hear the same noise from psu and gpu again
now is there a chance that it is echoing along the lines (I can hear it through the speakers if I turn them up) or are both at fault here?
I really want to fix this problem if it is the psu (not too expensive to worry about voiding warranty, but I also dont want to void it if I don't have to)
What does [H]ard think?

So I just finished building the new rig yesterday and everything seems fine boots up no driver issues yada yada but when i get into the crysis menu it makes an odd squealing sound
its not too bad and ends once in the game
Now with a powerful system i dont want anything to go to waste so i downloaded f@h gpu and cpu clients booted up the gpu one first (working for this team of course :p) and what do you know the same squeal except it never goes away during the whole work unit
Now not content with odd sounds in my computer i researched what this could be and found that its not an uncommon problem with the 260gtx and not essential however while snooping around in the case with a paper towel roll :p i discovered that not only is it coming from the gpu (most definitely is) but also the psu. So i boot up the computer with my old seasonic 550 and hear the same noise from psu and gpu again
now is there a chance that it is echoing along the lines (I can hear it through the speakers if I turn them up) or are both at fault here?
I really want to fix this problem if it is the psu (not too expensive to worry about voiding warranty, but I also dont want to void it if I don't have to)
What does [H]ard think?

First and foremost, the noise while annoying, does not represent any harm to your computer or video cards.

What I have found as well as others is the problem seems to stem from some really out of spec capacitors on the GPU.

You have a few options. RMA the PSU which is unlikely to solve the problem. RMA the video card and hope for some luck. Switch to a non Seasonic built PSU or, if you are knowledgeable about the insides of PSUs and are confidant you won't ZAP yourself, open the PSU find the offending coil and dampen it with a few blobs of silicone..Usual note, not responsible for anything etc etc.

You did describe another issue, whine in your speakers. Every case of this I have come across involved a sound card in an old style PCI slot. It's a low voltage issue best addressed with a newer PCIE sound card.

Yes, legacy hardware keeps happening faster and faster:)

Should I be worried if its not a pci sound card then?
because I am using onboard sound so maybe the mobo is the source of all the problems?
also I used the evga e-leet utility and my 12v line is about 12.18 so maybe that would be a cause of the noise on the gpu?

750TX Corsair doesn't squeal, and is one of the few CWT's in Corsair's lineup. If it's enough for you to be bothered by it, I'd upgrade. Don't waste your money/time RMAing, because I made that mistake with the 620HX. The RMA unit i received also squealed, and now just serves as a backup PSU sitting in its box.

*and yes the 650TX is a Seasonic, not a CWT.

I had a 9800GTX+ and Corsair TX650 PSU that had the notorious squeal. Taking the advice from Mav451, I replaced the PSU under RMA with a TX750.

The squeal has been significantly reduced (although not totally eliminated) to an acceptable level and I'm now able to live with it.

Thanks Mav451 for your post.

Cheers,

MarkT

Back