Need to set up blu-ray to do 120hz?

I'm a little hazy on this, so I apologize in advance if I mess this up. The blu-ray drive is internal on my computer

I was watching a blu-ray last night on my Samsung 61A750 which is 120hz/1080p, so I set the computer to display in 1920x1080. I don't see any options to change to 120hz in any menus, windows or cyber dvd. Do I need to enable this, or should the TV do it automatically?

The 120hz display takes an typical input and displays it at 120hz. You don't need to do anything but set it on your display, not sure if you will notice a difference though.

I have the LN46A650 and I was playing around with the same thing last night.

I cannot get my computer to send a 120hz signal across the HDMI cable (or at all for that matter - could be vid card related), but once the TV receives the signal it upconverts it to 120Hz. If you go into the picture options you will see an option for Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz. This will set your TV to scale the signal it receives (source by source setting) up to 120Hz. There are 5 options: High Med Low Demo Off, I usually keep mine on med for PC and low for TV.

My friend with a degree in TV production hates the way it looks. I think it looks better and he just needs to get used to it.

Sometimes things look out of place 3D and action can be slightly "jerky" according to him. Maybe I am use to it, or maybe he needs to get use to it. I think the jury is out on the benefits from 120hz as far as media goes. I think its a definite bonus in video games and I like the smoothing out (re: inserting additional frames) of normal TV and video content

You have to remember that those televisions do NOT take in an input of 120Hz, they display the current input and use the output of 120Hz. If you really want to know how it works you can check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine .

Input -------------- Output/Display
xxx Hz --------------> 120Hz

That makes sense when you are talking about Television/DVD/DB input.

But the fact that a PC can change the refresh rate, shouldnt we be able to send 120hz signal to the TV? I would believe that a computer can generate 120 hz content better than a TV would upscale 60hz content to 120 hz. Is HDMI bandwidth limited to not be able to carry it?

one of the legitimate uses for 120hz was supposed to be 5:5 pulldown(?) on 24p video, its possibly you need to provide a 24p input for it to be optimal.

From wiki

Maximum resolution over single link at 24-bit/px 2560×1600p75
Maximum resolution over single link at 30-bit/px 2560×1600p60
Maximum resolution over single link at 36-bit/px 1920x1200p75
Maximum resolution over single link at 48-bit/px 1920×1200p60

Not sure what pixel bit depth a monitor is.

That's why you want to use 1080p24 when you're setting up your graphics settings.

24Hz x 5 = 120Hz
The HDTV does the conversion.

Nvidia:
nvidia_1080p24.png

ATI:
ATI_1080p24.png

w1retap:

Thanks! I have it set to 24p, but the TV actually shows it running at 1920x1080 at 24hz.... should it say that?...

The tv states what the incoming signal is, so yes it should say that. just go into picture options and make sure the automotion plus 120hz feature is turned on if you want it.

Back