TV Tuner question

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok..this may be a stupid question but I will ask it anyway.

I have never had cable and was recently (today) introduced to the world of a TV tuner. I purchased a ATI TV Wonder 650 Dual Tuner from Fryes. It is just about the most awesome thing ever, since now I can record TV shows to my computer (which most everyone with cable has done forever).

Here is the question:

Can I install two of the same tuner to be able to record two shows that are running at the same time? Is that possible? I realize I would have to have two antenna's.

Most likely, yes. Depends on the software you're using. There are also hybrid cards that can take 1 antenna as input, and allow tuning of 2 channels at once (ie: Hauppage 2250).

you bought a dual tuner so you already should be able to record 2 shows at once, just split the cable connection to both ports...

I looked and that doesnt look like splitting the signal will work for this. This is directly from the ATI site:
Key Features:

1. Two built-in tuners offering combo tuning for:
* Over-the-air Digital TV / HDTV1 (ATSC)
* Over-the-air / Cable Analog TV (NTSC)
* Clear-QAM (unscrambled) Digital HD Cable2

To me that means I could watch/record Cable and Digital TV but not two Digital TV signals

While not using ATI hardware, I have set up a SageTV system for a customer with 4 x Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 that works perfectly. As long as your recording software supports your multiple tuners, you will be fine.

I am currently using Windows Media Center as I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit. The included software was ATI Catalyst Media Center. Anyone know if it supports multiple tuners off the top of their head?

Your 650 is a hybrid card - you can only use one tuner at a time.

Vista Ultimate supports up to 2 tuners per type (NTSC, ATSC) pre-tvpack, and up to 4 per type (NTSC, ATSC, Clear QAM) with tvpack. Your 650 should count as 1 of each, so you can still install another card. If you just want to record 2 ATSC stations at once, it would likely be cheaper to return the 650 and get a card like the 2250 which can tune 2 different channels using 1 input on a single card, rather than pay for 2 seperate cards + 2 antennas.

it would likely be cheaper to return the 650 and get a card like the 2250 which can tune 2 different channels using 1 input on a single card, rather than pay for 2 seperate cards + 2 antennas.

What brand is that card?

Thanks!

I think for now I will keep the ATI 650, however I was planning on building an HTPC and as a result of knowing I can connect at max four tuners with vista, I added two of these to my list as well as a motherboard capable of handling them. Again much appreciated as once the HTPC is done I should be able to record all the shows I want (since I dont have cable being able to record four shows at once may seem insane, however March Madness is just around the corner :p)

Back