Quick Samsung LN37A530 review.

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
I picked up the TV recently which I think was good for the price ($699.99 CDN). I don't use it as my main monitor(too small text from my couch). But it is attached to my computer for games/movies via HDMI 2 (the PC specified input), and it is 1080p. I am not doing an extensive review, just hitting the major important categories for using this with a PC. Here are the panel details from Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...isions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN37A530P1FXZA#

Some quick measurements (setup with minimum back light max contrast).

Power Consumption : 98 watts.
Brightness: 203 cd/m2
Black: 0.126 cd/m2
Contrast: 1600

Colored Text
, is often a problem using HD-TV for a monitor, not here, if you label the input as a PC, it turns off more image processing, and is in theory even cleaner, but looks duller for movies/games. This picture is NOT so labeled, and it is still pixel perfect IMO:

SamText.jpg

Input Lag was only compared against my NEC 2490 which I characterized here. In comparison it is almost Identical to my NEC, occasionally the NEC is ahead, the Samsung is never ahead. So the NEC is a touch faster, but essentially better than I expected for the Samsung VA screened TV some of which are terrible. I tested only the input your are supposed to use for PC (HDMI 2), but I did test labeling the input as Blu Ray (more image controls) and PC (less processing and less control). To my surprise there was no difference in input lag, which contradicts what I read previously, that the less processed PC mode was faster. I didn't see that, so I am running with more processing available. Here is sample shot. Often these were identical for a three measurments and sometimes one was ahead on the NEC like here. I would say it is probable somewhere around 30-40ms input lag, which is about as good as it gets for HDTVs.
SamLag.jpg

Viewing angle issues
: off angle contrast fall off common on VA panels. While I would consider a show stopper in monitor where I sit close, sitting centered on watching TV doesn't cause any issue, you can move around and your distance makes the angles small, unlike a monitor when you sit close and moving your head two inches can have an effect. But still it is disappointing when watching TV as I tend to walk around and do other things while watching TV. Then it gets very washed out, losing contrast and colors. Here are some examples but I find it looks worse in real life than these images when I walk around when watching TV. This is a sit in the viewing cone only type screen. Examples:

SamAngle.jpg
SamAngleB.jpg

Another Example (space game screen shot, dark color washout):
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5535/SamSpace.jpg
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6640/SamSpaceB.jpg

Another Example (Canyon image, showing color loss):
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9150/samcanyonxc6.jpg
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/3937/samcanyonbcc2.jpg

Impressions/Conclusions:

It can be down right luscious looking when watching from the sweet spot (dead center, same height as screen). I watched some HD content I had seen before and gained a new appreciation for the material. Computer images/game screens looked beautiful. While not really important to the discussion as a computer display OTA HD TV is AMAZING and beats most HD Video downloads. I haven't done any gaming yet. I just looked at wallpaper and game screen shots. They are beautiful looking and input lag is actually very good for TV so it should be wonderful gaming on this.

Use as a monitor only has the issue of getting the viewing distance correct. 37" is too big to sit close to IMO, but I find 7-8 feet to my couch too far. 4-5 feet is probably the right distance. At that distance, text will be sharp and clean even if you don't use strict low processing PC mode, you can still set "Just Scan" to get one to one pixels and turn off edge enhancement and turn down sharpness. Samsung has their act together on using their TV's with PCs. No issue.

Controls and customization is plentiful. With both convention TV Color/Tint/bright/contras/black/sharpness controls plus full RGB control and several color temerature settings, skin tone settings. Etc... So many controls it is hard to come up with a strategy to arrive where you want to be, but you wont lack for controls.

Cons:
Viewing angle: Contrast poor as soon as I stand up. Or walk off axis. Not a good choice for viewing if seating is really spread out or a couple of people sitting really close. The Panasonics with vastly superior viewing angles are probably a better choice.

Black level. Black level are the Achilles heel of LCD, and while it is better than my NEC monitor but with the viewing angles issue it looks inferior unless you are dead center. I also notice it more since I use it to watch movies in dark or near dark and the "black bars" on movies in the dark are not black (as with most LCDs). I can't wait for OLED...

edit: Added after 6months:
Glossy Bezel Argh I hate the glossy bezel. It is super annoying. So glad I didn't get a glossy screen. I never imagined how annoying the glossy bezel would be, since it isn't actually the screen, but it is very distracting mirror to every source of light including surfaces hit by light. But it seems all TVs have glossy bezels. But I would definitely look for a small bezel at least next time. This one is big and glossy. Ideal would be small and matte.

Last edited:
Ok. That is done, as indicated, nothing as comprehensive as my NEC review, but the basics are all there. Questions?

Nice mini-review. I was at my Office depot today and saw the 32" Sony XBR6 and the Samsung LN32A550. Samsung is cheaper, but I think the Sony looked better, at least with the Blu-Ray previews they were showing (OMG They were using HD on their TV's!). I'm not so sure the Sony would do well as a PC Monitor though... which is probably the only reason I would get one for quite a while.

Back