Lovin' the new striped array

mryerse

2[H]4U
Bought two WD6401AALS and set to raid 0 on ICH9. I'm very happy with this. Big boost from a 7200.10. These drives sound more like rain drops than grinding on the old one.

I changed the sata setting in the bios (Intel DX38BT) from ide to raid and windows wouldn't boot on the non-raid drive anymore. I guess you have to reload the OS to the new raid array when you change that setting. Any way around that for the future?

HOW DARE YOU... making such happy comments and not posting a benchmark of any kind to let us be envious... shame on you, shame on you. :D

Post 'em... like an HDTach and HDTune run for read speeds...

Heh, okay. Maybe tonight. Since I've already copied about 100gb to the array, won't that cause the benchmark results to suffer a bit? As I recall, hard drives perform better when they are empty.

Here's read speeds. It said I need to "remove all partitions" to perform a write test. Is this speed what I should expect with this hardware?

stripe_read.jpg

Ah, the perfect example of the advantages of "Short Stroking."

Thanks for the pics.

Don

looks good, i want to do that as well. did you happen to get the 500 gb model or the 640?

This is after installing a bunch of windows updates, MS office, and enabling Volume write-back cache. My wife opened FF while I was taking a leak so there may be a little unwanted IO in there, but not much.
striped_read3.jpg

Back