Intel responds to Phenom II with pricecuts

http://www.hardware.fr/news/10062/baisse-quad-intel-18.html

img0025000nt7.gif

Now let's hope AMD will respond to intel again. :)

I think they now compete with core i7 920.
According to some reviews (not kyle's review obviously) those two are quite close.

What you think and what the truth is seem to be two very different things. The i7s have better IPC than the Core2s and the Core2s have better IPC than the PIIs. Therefore, the PIIs don't really compete with the i7. It's a rather simple calculation to make.

I don't have anything against either company but I'm not going to ignore the facts.

$67 for the E5200 is pretty sweet for people on a very low budget.

Thats nice, but it would be great if they also cut their Core i7 CPU's as well, that isn't going to happen unless if AMD brings out a killer CPU, but at least they cut their Q9xxx CPU's which is great.

And then do these price cuts go into effect? They certainly haven't been implemented yet.

I'm in for a Q9650 if/when these cuts happen.

And then do these price cuts go into effect? They certainly haven't been implemented yet.

I'm in for a Q9650 if/when these cuts happen.

Article says next week, but it will take time to trickle down the chain.

decisions, decisions, decisions..i just bought first part for my 2009 upgrade plan...which is Gigabyte X58, so i'm bound to i7...920 then OC to 3.33..any advices for third party air cooler?

That's a very nice drop on the Q9650, but with my Q6600 still doing 3ghz on stock volts I really can't justify the "upgrade."

Poor AMD

M-M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Why was this nessessary? Seems like it needs to be removed.

I would say the PII doesn't really compete with the i7 also. So far the only review I read where the PII was praised was at Anand, but he/they ALWAYS praise an AMD product it seems.

That's what I've been waiting for... Q9650, come to daddy :)
Who wants a free E6600? :)

Nice price on the Q9550. That surely trounces the Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition. Especially for less money. If these prices are accurate, then AMD will be in the same position they were in with Phenom.

The Q6600 is EOL, get the last ones while you can...

I already have three. :D

That's a very nice drop on the Q9650, but with my Q6600 still doing 3ghz on stock volts I really can't justify the "upgrade."

Poor AMD

If I had the money and if the i7 wouldn't be such a performance boost over the 45nm quads for what I do, I'd definitely justify the upgrade.

What's going on with the Q9300?
The Q9550 is going to be the same price.

decisions, decisions, decisions..i just bought first part for my 2009 upgrade plan...which is Gigabyte X58, so i'm bound to i7...920 then OC to 3.33..any advices for third party air cooler?

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. That's the best option for air cooling right now.

I guess if the only reviews you look at are the ones made by kyle, I understand why you would say such a thing.
I think you misspelled your name. Bonkers is spelled B-o-n-k-e-r-s not b-a-n-a-n-a.

PII is a decent match for the Q8300. But its not price competiting with the Q9400 and Q9550, faster an with more cache. Decent upgrade for those with AM2/AM2+ sockets. Not gonna sway people to AMD building new machines or on s775.

+1 to this.

Even though my Q6600 OC's well, the Q9650 will be a decent upgrade without breaking the bank on an i7 rig.

I am now in quite a situation. This is a great price point for the Q9650. Now I'm not sure if my rig should be i7 based or should I go for the Q9650? My main priority is gaming. I'm building my new machine in prep for Empire Total War. If I go Q9650 my overall cost for this build would drop a couple hundred bucks..... hmmmmmm

What's going on with the Q9300?
The Q9300 and Q6600 are now EOL.
I guess if the only reviews you look at are the ones made by kyle, I understand why you would say such a thing.
Show me a review where the Phenom II 940 equals or outperforms the i7 920 and I'll believe you when you say that the Phenom II competes with the 920. Otherwise, go away.

That Q9650 is looking quite tasty... can't wait for my tax return.

I am now in quite a situation. This is a great price point for the Q9650. Now I'm not sure if my rig should be i7 based or should I go for the Q9650? My main priority is gaming. I'm building my new machine in prep for Empire Total War. If I go Q9650 my overall cost for this build would drop a couple hundred bucks..... hmmmmmm

i though rts's are more cpu dependent. wouldn't it benefit from 8 threads?

The Q9300 and Q6600 are now EOL.

Show me a review where the Phenom II 940 equals or outperforms the i7 920 and I'll believe you when you say that the Phenom II competes with the 920. Otherwise, go away.

Better yet, MissBanana should show us a review where it matches the Q9550 or Q6600 clock for clock.

Hey guys, I heard the alarms going off, I came as quickly as I could.
So who's the person that dared to compare the Phenom II to the Core i7?

Guess ill be picking up a Q9650 if my q9550 rma does not go through.

67 bucks for a e5200? Amd is in some serious trouble, on the other hand, $67 bucks for 3.8-4.0ghz. :cool:

Man, I was all set on the Q9550, but now that the 9650 is where the 9550 used to be I'm all torn up inside again. Save some money on the 9550 I was going to get anyway, or get extra performance for the money I had already mentally spent. Arrrggh.

Intel is really sticking it to AMD with these cuts.

Back