noise solution of gigabyte 4670/4650 with no fan control (without void the warranty)

hmhef

n00b
i registered my account becasue i want to share this with others, as i saw people complaing about the noise problem of some gigabyte cards on newegg
the solution is very simple and costs about $1

the problem is that the card has a fan that is connected using a dual cable, and have no speed control or monitoring what so ever

this way will not void ur warranty if u did it right, cuz all what we will do is reversible

all u need:
- gigabyte card 4670/4650 that is loud enough to the level that u can enjoy mp3 on mid/low sound levels
- motherboard with a free 4-pin fan connector (may work with 3-pin, but with 4-pin u can control it using speedfan)
- an intel stock fan, that comes normally with core 2 duo processors, and can be found on ebay
- a screw drivers, that is a bit small but strong

here is the card:

gigabyte4670-1.png

focusing on the heat sink / fan area

gigabyte4670-3.png

1- unscrew the 3 screws that are holding the fan to the sink
2- unscrew the copper colord part, because u need the edges under it to hold the fan, and to allow more direct air flow to the sink
3- remove the fan of the sink (from intel's stock fan/sink) , it should have 2 clip-ons , those should be put in the 'X's in the above image, the fan should be holding nicely and string to the sharp edges of the sink
4- enable fan warning in the bios, that will make the MB make a beep noise if the fan isnt working, or the cable got disconnected or something

Done!

after its done:
- idle temp = 40c
- 98% load temp = 70c
- using speedfan u can control the intel's fan, at default it always run at 1500~1600 rpm, which is relatively quiet, the fan full speed is around 2200rpm, which is still not that loud compared to the orignall fan
- u can decrease the fan speed to 1000rpm without loosing alot of efficiency in the heat dissipation

other thoughts:
- the card i have is :
GIGABYTE GV-R467D3-512I Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3
- should also work with :
GIGABYTE R465OC-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2
and probably alot of cards that have the same fan+sink design
- the sink/thermal paste that are used are ridiculous, but playing with them void the warranty

Back