Windows 7 users.... 64 or 32 which are you using?

I am using

• Windows 7 64

Votes: 72 85.7%
  • Windows 7 32

Votes: 12 14.3%

• Total voters
I have to use x64...but then again theres really no downside to it either

64 bit. If you have a machine that can handle it (meaning primarily a 64 bit capable CPU which almost all of them are nowadays there's no reason not to, for the most part. Windows 7 x64 just improves on Vista x64 even more in terms of compatibility, so all those folks still trying to run old 16 bit code, get VirtualBox and have a blast... :D

64-bit.

After going to Vista Ultimate 64-bit I will never go back to a 32-bit main rig.

WOW I'm glad 64bit has taken off,I'm not so worried about lack of support for 64bit anymore.Do you think they should of made windows 7 64 bit only?

BTW how much ram are you guys using I have 4Gb's but I never installed windows 7 (64bit) yet.

Also does anyone know if Google chrome works in windows 7 64,I was using an earlier beta and it didn't for some reason.

RAM usage is lower, that's all that matters, how much lower = irrelevant, exact amounts = irrelevant. Really, people need to stop bringing up RAM as a point of comparison or contention with Vista and Windows 7... just a suggestion. :D And iirc, Google issued an update for Chrome to work in Win7 x64, but that might have been about something else, check for updates obviously, or install a clean brand new version of Chrome outright.

bigdogchris: It's a beta OS, by RTM it'll be more compatible overall...

RAM usage is lower, that's all that matters, how much lower = irrelevant, exact amounts = irrelevant. Really, people need to stop bringing up RAM as a point of comparison or contention with Vista and Windows 7... just a suggestion. :D And iirc, Google issued an update for Chrome to work in Win7 x64, but that might have been about something else, check for updates obviously, or install a clean brand new version of Chrome outright.

bigdogchris: It's a beta OS, by RTM it'll be more compatible overall...
I always thought you need 4Gb's of ram to utilize 64bit operating systems?

Unless your hardware doesnt support 64bit then for the love of god dont use the 32bit version. If you use 32bit then you might as well use FAT32 as well for drives under 32gbs since that makes just as much sense.

x64 all the way. Been using Vista x64 since release and won't ever go back to x86 for anything.

x64. Went back to x86 for a week because that was the only 7000 build available for a while, but jumped on the x64 as soon as it was released. What a difference!

x64 all the way,,

i was amazed when installing W7 it got the screen resolution correct before it finished configuring, about time too microsoft!!!!!!

liking it alot

I'm using 32bit on my laptop, since I'm only using 2gb of memory, and its footprint looked smaller than the 64bit edition. But on the my desktops, 64bit all the way, really just for the large memory support.

32bit here..I wanted to use 64 but I could not for the life of me get a driver for my network adapter. Using nForce3 mobo. Does anyone have a x64 driver that will work?

I am using 32 bit because I am using Windows 7 on an old crusty Athlon XP that does not support 64bit. It also only has 1GB of memory. With no programs running, it uses 378MB of RAM sitting at the desktop, that is just as good as XP SP3.

However, when I get my C2D laptop on Win7 it will be 64 bit as I have 4GB of RAM.

I downloaded x86 and installed it first. A day later I reformatted and installed x64.

Back