Newegg: BFG 9800GX2 back in stock!!! + some additional questions

capreppy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2009
BFG 9800GX2

These are back in stock and I am about to pull the trigger on 6 of these for two boxen per my post in Tobit the Famer's thread.

A couple of questions for all of you:
- Can a Corsair 850X handle these
- Am planning to put inside this case so that I can throw them inside my Rack Cabinet. I am planning to add 2x120mm fans up front and an additional 2x80mm fans in the rear. I'll ask for advice on the fans later. I don't think fitment is an issue, but will I encounter heat issues. I'm not entirely sure I will be OC'ing these and may (for the time being) just keep them at Stock Clocks). At least until I have some more down time to muck around with them.
- I've tried to keep up, but frankly my time and my short term memory are at all time lows :( Which OS WinXP or Vista or Ubuntu 8.04?

I will be running these boxes with a Q6600 (unless I can squeeze and an additional $400 to go with a Core i7 and an eVGA X58 MoBo for each boxen)

Last question: Will this UPS be able to handle two the above boxen? I am trying to keep everything in the rack cabinet as my wife has indicated her approval is conditional. She doesn't want boxes strewn all over my office (which a hurricane as hit since I've been working from home A LOT!!!)

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: Forgot the damn link (over anxious and my short term memory)
Edit2: Well I just tried to put 6 on my order form and it didn't work. I can't even put 2 on there as there are insufficien quantities. They say maximum of 99 per order, but you can't even order 2 :(
Edit3: Chat with newegg customer service has confirmed that these are already out of stock!!!!!! :mad:

Well the funds are available and as soon as a 9800GX2 shows up, then I'll pull the trigger, but my questions still apply if anyone would help me getting them answered.

Figures, they return to stock 2 weeks before I get paid. Bastards!

Good case, the 9800GX2 card pull most of the air through the ends, so the internal fans will help.

The PSU will handle it. You will be running with ~30% breathing room. If your good with that go for it. (I'm running with 20% headroom on my 750TX in Origami Master, but tight for me)

I know nothing about UPS so I have no opinion.

Run windows XP. It will be the easiest to get set up and will not fight you running 6 GPU clients.

I considering using the Corsar HX1000 because it's modular (clean up the cable mess) and gives me some additional room. In addition, I just found out the TX850 only natively has 4 x 6+2 PCIE where the HX1000 has 6 x 6+2 PCIE native.

I considering using the Corsar HX1000 because it's modular (clean up the cable mess) and gives me some additional room. In addition, I just found out the TX850 only natively has 4 x 6+2 PCIE where the HX1000 has 6 x 6+2 PCIE native.

the 750 only has 4X 6+2 pins

I used the 6+2 pins to fill out the 8 pin jacks on the cards and then used 2 adapters to make up the rest of the 6 pin plugs I needed.

It's all on one rail, it doesn't really matter as long as you don't fry the rail.

Sorry capreppy, but I got the BFG 9800GX2 from Newegg. I say "the" because I added it to my cart and then tried to increase the quantity, but it wouldn't let me. I don't know if they had only one in stock, or if I was just the last person to buy. As soon as I ordered the product page went back to "auto notify".

Well hopefully you'll allow it to fold during off hours :)

I was ready to pull the trigger on 6, but by the time I figured out they only had one, well it was just a little too late :(

I'll continue to wait it out, but I'm starting to think that the GTX285 (not the 295) might be an ok solution for me. Yes it does cost more, but I'm space limited and being able to get 6 GTX285's in two boxes may be worth it. I'll wait a couple of weeks to see how pricing pans out.

The card will be in a new rig dedicated (mostly) to folding. I want to free up my current desktop and its 8800GTS for everyday work, and I've been having crashes possibly due to the latest CUDA beta drivers.

I ordered the rest of the parts (K9A2, Phenom II, 4GB) from Newegg last night. I'm only getting a 750W power supply for now, but I'll get a second one as soon as I can find more GX2s. I have an old full tower case with enough room for two PSUs.

Back