Best value low profile PCI-e video card

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
I bought a Dell Vostro 220s Slim Tower to use as an HTPC. I bought it relatively stripped so I can add a video card to it myself rather than something overpriced and underperforming that they sell. Given that this computer can only accept a low profile video card, what would you say is the "best value" PCI-e video card currently available?

I'd like to not pay more than $50 or so. It must have DVI or preferably HDMI (that somehow passes audio as well) so that I can feed it directly to my A/V receiver, which then connects to my HDTV. I want it to support smooth 1080p playback for if/when I install a Blu-ray drive on the PC. It may do some light gaming, but that's not a priority. I guess I'd need HDCP support.

A quick look on Newegg's Web site shows these 15 LP PCI-e video cards, most of which are a no-name brand (Jaton). TIA.

Thanks for the links, guys. That ATI 4550 seems like the better value of the 2. Yes, I'll have to find out why that guy can't get HDMI 1.3 (7.1) working properly. I "only" have 5.1 speakers, so it may not really be an issue, unless I do get another pair of speakers as rear surround.

FWIW, on my main system (AMD Athlon X2 4200+), I'm still rocking the 6800 GT card I bought from Summer 2005. :eek: So any of these cards, I imagine, will be better than that.

looks like you already bought, but this low profile 9600gt with HDMI just came out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187060

Thanks for the update; no, I haven't bought a video card yet. No reviews, so you're right, it just came out. It is about twice my budget, but I understand it's a much more potent video card than the ATI 4550. I wonder how much more power it'll consume on my 24x7 running HTPC and how much louder it will be.

^ Also, I assume (hope?) that the 250 W PSU that come w/ my Dell PC can safely support a 9600 GT video card like that.

^ That ATI 4350 I linked is a great deal at $26 after MIR w/ free shipping. The only problem is it's OOS! :mad:

Back