Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

variant

Gawd
After chatting with representatives over at Dell and confirming the 2209WA was in fact an e-IPS panel, I went ahead and ordered it. I don't have too much experience with LCD monitors, so I may not be able to write a good review on it. I do know that the viewing angles of the Samsung 226BW TN lcd monitor I had bugged me.

I also found out from the Dell reprsentatives that the monitor has an 83% color gamut.

Looks like a good panel.
Are you sure that the Rep was sure that this isn't a TN panel?

Looks like a good panel.
Are you sure that the Rep was sure that this isn't a TN panel?

He was positive and I believe him considering the 178 viewing angles. I was more worried that this was a VA panel.

I also found out from the Dell reprsentatives that the monitor has an 83% color gamut.

This is probably in relation to the Lab color space, not NTSC, which would make it a sRGB monitor. For some reason Dell thinks a higher percentage is more impressive, so that's the one they use for marketing.

I also found out it is 16.7 million colors. It has a 3000:1 dynamic contrast and a 1000:1 normal contrast. 300 cd/m2 brightness. 5 or 6ms response time, it seems to differ depending on which website it is. Either the American panels are superior to the European panels, or there is a crossed wire somewhere.

This is probably in relation to the Lab color space, not NTSC, which would make it a sRGB monitor. For some reason Dell thinks a higher percentage is more impressive, so that's the one they use for marketing.

Isn't using CIE1976 standard when talking about monitors?

Looking at the response time and the color gamut makes me thing the person I mentioned in another thread was right, that the new e-IPS panel sacrifices color gamut for response times.

I also found out it is 16.7 million colors. It has a 3000:1 dynamic contrast and a 1000:1 normal contrast. 300 cd/m2 brightness. 5 or 6ms response time, it seems to differ depending on which website it is. Either the American panels are superior to the European panels, or there is a crossed wire somewhere.

Isn't using CIE1976 standard when talking about monitors?

Looking at the response time and the color gamut makes me thing the person I mentioned in another thread was right, that the new e-IPS panel sacrifices color gamut for response times.

Oops, I meant CIE1976, not Lab. And Dell is the only manufacturer I have seen to use anything but % NTSC in marketing literature.

Since the monitor only has a single DVI and VGA port, I am trying to decide which I want my Xbox 360 on and which my PC. Any suggestions? I have heard that the 360 through HDMI has a greater input lag than through the VGA cable.

Oops, I meant CIE1976, not Lab. And Dell is the only manufacturer I have seen to use anything but % NTSC in marketing literature.

I am not overly familiar with color spaces, but just from what I have read, NTSC appears to be inferior to the CIE1976 standard. So isn't it the other monitor manufactures using NTSC as a way to bloat their listed gamut percentage? I recently read an article on why companies should quit using NTSC to measure due to its inability to appropriately measure color output in modern technology.

http://xs135.xs.to/xs135/09045/colors446.png

Edit, clearer image:

http://xs435.xs.to/xs435/09045/colors2867.png

I haven't seen a difference in lag with Xbox between VGA and HDMI. If someone has seen that, it would be due to the monitor/TV. Either would work just fine because it has a native 1680x1050 mode built in. It automatically puts the black bars top and bottom to simulate a 16:9 image on a 16:10 monitor at 1680x1050.

If you want to use PC and 360 at the same time, I'd advise using VGA for the 360 and DVI for PC.

Since the monitor only has a single DVI and VGA port, I am trying to decide which I want my Xbox 360 on and which my PC. Any suggestions? I have heard that the 360 through HDMI has a greater input lag than through the VGA cable.

I am not overly familiar with color spaces, but just from what I have read, NTSC appears to be inferior to the CIE1976 standard. So isn't it the other monitor manufactures using NTSC as a way to bloat their listed gamut percentage? I recently read an article on why companies should quit using NTSC to measure due to its inability to appropriately measure color output in modern technology.

Edit, clearer image:

Edit, clearer image:

Get a 2 way DVI switch box.

I'm interested to see how the backlight bleed is on this monitor, when someone get theirs, please share :)

Edit, clearer image:

Hmm. I don't really know the specifications either, but the 2408WFP is listed as 102% NTSC and 110% CIE1976, and their sRGB monitors are listed as 83% CIE1976.

Just ordered one tonight as a replacement to my old 2007WFP. This is just after I got a used 2407WFP-HC on eBay, and learned about the ghosting issues. So hopefully it works out...

Get a 2 way DVI switch box.

I have yet to see a good DVI switch box.I think I would rather run the 360 in VGA.

I'm interested to see how the backlight bleed is on this monitor, when someone get theirs, please share :)

Me too.

I will definitely give my impression.

Hmm. I don't really know the specifications either, but the 2408WFP is listed as 102% NTSC and 110% CIE1976, and their sRGB monitors are listed as 83% CIE1976.

The spec sheet of the 2408WFP says it has the 110% CIE1976 gamut with TrueColor Technology. It also does not have 102% NTSC according to its spec sheet, it has 102% CIE1931 rating.

Anytime you add a connector between the monitor and device, quality is degraded. It is even worse for switch boxes.

Just called them today, and they sold it to me for $209 shipped! With that kind of deal I could not pass it up.

Just called them today, and they sold it to me for $209 shipped! With that kind of deal I could not pass it up.

That was most likely the S2209W.

Just a note, you cannot order the 2209WA through Home, only through Small & Medium Business.

Nope, bought it through Dell Small Business. Says 2209WA in the order, and should ship 1/30... The guy said you have to call to get that deal though.

Nope, bought it through Dell Small Business. Says 2209WA in the order, and should ship 1/30... The guy said you have to call to get that deal though.

Good deal :) Now we await your photos and review when the Dell arrives @ your home ;)

That's interesting. I just called Dell tonight and they said there is no such deal for this specific monitor. The price online is the price you pay when you call in.

Who was your sales rep? I'ld like to know because if you indeed got that deal on that monitor I need to get a serious price adjustment before mine ships out.

Don't know who the sales rep was... I just called and asked if the monitor was an IPS, then said I would do some research and call back. Then he said if I bought it that he would offer it for $209 shipped. I was shocked that the price could be lowered that much. I ended up calling customer support to verify that he sold me the right monitor, and sure enough he did. I think they have some kind of commission for number of sales, and the person you get makes the difference.

Don't know who the sales rep was... I just called and asked if the monitor was an IPS, then said I would do some research and call back. Then he said if I bought it that he would offer it for $209 shipped. I was shocked that the price could be lowered that much. I ended up calling customer support to verify that he sold me the right monitor, and sure enough he did. I think they have some kind of commission for number of sales, and the person you get makes the difference.

Lucky!!!! Makes me wish I had $210 to burn so I could continuously call until I got a taker :p
Can't wait to get your guys' opinions on the display!

You were right jfox8!

I called Dell again this morning and spoke to a person named Marcus Jones who sold me the monitor for $200 plus tax. Sweet deal!!! If your interested in this monitor at that price ask for Marcus. He'll hook you up!

You were right jfox8!

I called Dell again this morning and spoke to a person named Marcus Jones who sold me the monitor for $200 plus tax. Sweet deal!!! If your interested in this monitor at that price ask for Marcus. He'll hook you up!

Don't know who the sales rep was... I just called and asked if the monitor was an IPS, then said I would do some research and call back. Then he said if I bought it that he would offer it for $209 shipped..... the difference.

are you both calling to the small business department?

Basically yes, I navigated to the Dell Small bussiness section where you can view the monitor and called the number right up top.

Take note though, not all of those sales people know what they are doing. I got one sales guy last night that had no idea what I was talking about.

If you do call, Just ask for Marcus like I stated in my previous post.

Basically yes, I navigated to the Dell Small bussiness section where you can view the monitor and called the number right up top.

Take note though, not all of those sales people know what they are doing. I got one sales guy last night that had no idea what I was talking about.

If you do call, Just ask for Marcus like I stated in my previous post.

Thanks! You just saved me enough to get a calibration kit

Marcus has been very helpful too!

I hate you all :( Anyone want to be amazing and send $200 my way? :D
Can't believe that monitors like this are being bought for a couple hundred bucks.
:impatiently awaiting reviews:

ugh... so tempting... though I think Marcus is done for the day :(
I'm eagerly awaiting reviews as well

No, it says it should be delivered on the 2nd at the earliest. I'll be sure to write up a review when I get mine.

some supposedly have already online... but there are no real reviews
cnet reviews I take with a grain of salt considering they've praised every single Dell item there is...
I may just order one tomorrow and if I don't like it, sell it... or if someone who has already received theirs would actually post up a real review, that'd save a lot of people the trouble.. :(

Ahh... I see.
I need to pay more attention, I just followed the link.
EDIT: That was for the non awesome version.
EDIT EDIT: That's a NICE monitor, that'd be really good with my laptops.

lol A = Grade A, Awesomeness, Fxxxxxx A, etc
Actually the A stands for angle
WA = wide angle

But i sure do hope it is as good as the review claimed... need to compare it to my sp2309w TN panel with a much a higher rez, love to see what i can get with eIPS over TN other than the viewing angle

Back