ST31000340AS - certified repaired - Are they sure?

PurduEE

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's the story - sometime in October, I order an ST31000340AS from ZZF. Drive comes and fails just after the two week return period that ZZF offers. I return said drive to Seagate and receive a "certified repaired" ST31000340AS. That drive failed yesterday and I am again returning to Seagate.

Is there any hope that this drive will be more reliable than my previous "certified" drive?

I'm like $40 in the hole on returns for a drive that was only $100. Apart from that, this drive died and took my WHS backup database with it (which is apparently not backed up - kind of glaring hole in WHS as a backup). Seems to me if I have another failure, spending another $20 on a return would be throwing good money after bad.

Anyone have a good experience with a repaired hard drive from Seagate?

Should I just utilize this drive as a $140 paper weight?

I have several refurb drives from Seagate and they are just fine.

That said, I have seen refurbs die off the bat as well as well as new drives. Key lesson learned, run some intensive tests on the drive before you put it into mainstream use if you can.

There is a good chance that you're drive had SD15 firmware, I've had 2 of them die too, if you had data on there and had that firmware Seagate is offering free data recovery.

Usually I found these drives to be fairly reliable except this latest debacle with the fw

There is a good chance that you're drive had SD15 firmware, I've had 2 of them die too, if you had data on there and had that firmware Seagate is offering free data recovery.

Usually I found these drives to be fairly reliable except this latest debacle with the fw

No lost data, just the aggravation of having to shut down my ESXi server, and pull the drive.

It was the SD15 firmware - however, the failure didn't seem to have anything to do with firmware. More of a spin-up, clunk, spin-up, clunk, spin-up, clunk, ad nauseum.

Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Back