Bizarre issue with Gigabyte X58-UD4P board - Memory there, but not seen by Windows.

SymptomsReagent

Limp Gawd
I have the Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 rated @ 1.65v and I have un-plugged the memory and re-seated the memory.

Here's what CPU-Z says:
30jsgnd.jpg

I have all the BIOS settings correct for the memory using the "Xtreme Memory Profile" or "X.M.P" setting in the BIOS.

I'm using the latest F5 BIOS from Gigabyte's website.

At this point.... I'm a bit stumped and going to be hitting the sack for some rest.

Thanks for the help guys.

Aaron

LOL :D
The screenshot above shows that you have 3GB memory at 2x798=1596 MHz... so better you read some info about DDR next time.

I'm not sure I understand, do you have more then 3gig in your system? I also see what Seb1 did......

No...

I have 3x1GB Corsair sticks in my system. Each of them shows up under the memory profile under Slots #1 / #3 / #5 as it is told to run Tri-channel DDR3 on the x58 boards.

See pic:
25pimps.png

LOL :D
The screenshot above shows that you have 3GB memory at 2x798=1596 MHz... so better you read some info about DDR next time.

Yes, CPU-Z shows 3Gb @ 1600, just like he said.

Now look at the sidebar where vista says he only has 2Gb.

That's what the author is worried about.

I'm sorry but I can't help you here.

Did you try slots 2/4/6?

Guys i'm thinking this might be a board issue.

I reseated all the RAM a couple of times now and varying times the system will boot up and POST and show 2GB or sometimes 1GB.

What is strange about this is that the BIOS shows all channels A B C with the correct settings. I'm thinking of contacting Gigabyte about this since it seems to be something wrong with the board itself.

I would load the memory into the other slots 2 / 4 / 6 if I could however my Thermaltake CPU cool blocks the #2 position from trying that.

I might be completely off track, but if I’m correct, the manual specifically says that if you’re using 3 memory sticks, that they should be in 2, 4, 6, and not 1, 3, 5. This might explain the issue you’re having.

Edit : I was completely off track : When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.

What bios version are you on? I know the UD3R required a bios update for compatibility issues with some ram. Perhaps the UD4P is the same?

I'm on F5 which is the latest BIOS Gigabyte has for the board. Honestly it's not that big of a deal breaker for me now that I've got my system all setup. I'll just wait for an update to see what happens.

I know for a fact that the BIOS see's all memory banks because I tested with only one in at a time and it said :
A Channel : 8 - 8 - 8 - 24
B Channel N/A - N/A - N/A - N/A
C Channel N/A- N/A- N/A - N/A

I've moved all the sticks around and they all work and have been tested, for some reason though when the system POST's it's only seeing either 1GB or 2GB even though in BIOS I can see them and in CPU-Z it shows I'm running in Triple Channel and see's the RAM just fine.

I’ve just received the exact same board and CPU, but with different memory (G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ) and when my setup is complete I’ll let you know if it’s the same on my end. Hopefully, it will end up being a non issue.

BTW, how is the board? Any other issues so far? Mine is sitting in its box, waiting for my Trade Up video card from BFG. :(

Oh it's great!! Love the layout and placements of things. SATA sideways towards the front of the case makes for great cable management. Older BIOS is really slow so I'd get the newest regardless as it's at least 10x faster.

Not withstanding my issue, I love it!

It looks like we are making a mountain at a mole hill.

30jsgnd.jpg

I'd stop trusting some probably outdated sidebar gadget and worry only about what CPU-Z and Windows itself are telling you. What does task manager say? What does the system properties say?

Alright... so after reading that... here's what I see.. (mind you this is on Windows 7 but it was similar on Vista.)
52awc2.png

Color me confused.... what the F is that all about then?

Ok, you've got some kind of problem if task manager shows only 2048MB of RAM.

This is very interesting. My friend and I have almost identical systems. X2 6000+, Abit Fatal1ty AN9-32X, 4x1GB DDR2-6400 (two different name brands and I just recently upgraded to 4x2GB). He's running Vista x86 and I'm on XP x64.

He reported getting a lot of BSODs, and that taking the last stick out seemed to help. Just like SymptomsReagent, Vista is showing 3GB in some places (seems correct based on 32-bit limit or 3x1GB), while other screens show around 2GB, possibly even the exact same 2045MB that SymptomsReagent shows. My friend stated that he watched the memory usage (I'm not sure of his actual technique), and that once it went over the 2GB, it would crash.

His system has had problems from the start. Shortly after installing, it entered an infinite loop of BSODs - first on a ReadyBoost DLL, then a DirectX DLL on the next boot, then back to ReadyBoost the next time, and so on. I went to do a repair on it, and it couldn't see the hard drive due to a missing driver. I copied to the driver to my USB stick, but it still didn't work. We gave up on the repair, but it booted just fine when I left my USB stick plugged in. That USB stick had never been plugged in to the PC before, and Vista seemed to keep on working just fine after removing it. However, the behavior and resolution completely baffle me, and always make me wonder. I'm not sure if he's done a complete reinstall since then or not.

At least in my friend's case, I haven't completely ruled out a screwed up Vista install as the problem. It's a little reassuring to see someone else with the same weird memory problem, though it doesn't really help either person much.

Nope didn't install using Pre-SP1 media.

I really think this is a board issue that is going to have to be addressed with an update. I'm running a beta BIOS now F6c and it's still an issue.

I'm probably going to contact Gigabyte here in the next day or so and talk to them and see if they have any suggestions.

The problem is the board see's all 3GB's only posts w/ 1-2GB available at random and then says that the other 1GB is reserved for hardware.

Not sure what's up with that.

Anyways--- we'll see what happens.

I've just put together a new system and I've got a strange problem, spec below:

Core i7 920*
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P*
Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D (3x1GB 1600Mhz)*
4870x2
Be-Quiet Dark Power Pro 850w

*Denotes New Bit

The problem is a bit strange, basically I'm getting mixed messages as to how much RAM the system is actually able to detect. During POST & BIOS is states the RAM as being 1024MB as does windows when looking at Task Manager which only shows Physical Memory as 1021MB but under System in Control Panel it shows 3.00 GB.

Any ideas as to what might be happening?

I posted the above in the Intel section, basically I'm suffering this odd issue too.

I posted the above in the Intel section, basically I'm suffering this odd issue too.

Hey Hula,

So I did some more digging... it *may* be that there are bent pins on the mobo connector causing the memory not to show up.

If that's the case, then it's I guess the people who are experiencing this, will have to RMA their system boards, What a PITA though if that's the case.

I'm still hoping though it's simply a BIOS issue but boy is it starting to drive me nuts. :(

Bent pins, is that from Gigabyte tech support? Also MOBO connector on the ram slots??
Are your boards from the same LOT#? Might help narrow it down.

good luck finding problem..... I am getting this board in a week also.....

Hmmmmm

Hey Hula,

So I did some more digging... it *may* be that there are bent pins on the mobo connector causing the memory not to show up.

If that's the case, then it's I guess the people who are experiencing this, will have to RMA their system boards, What a PITA though if that's the case.

I'm still hoping though it's simply a BIOS issue but boy is it starting to drive me nuts. :(

I don't think that can be right. Not at all. Bent pins would prevent the RAM from being seen at all. So he'd see 2GB everywhere. Not just in Taskmanager and some side bar monitoring program while CPU-Z sees 3GB.

I suspect this is just an issue that'll be fixed via a BIOS update, it is afterall the first place that shows the missing RAM during POST and in the Standard settings in the BIOS.

Has anyone contacted Gigabyte and asked if your specific Memory is on their supported memory list?

Like Hula thinks, might just be a bios update fix.....

Corsair Dominator is supported I already know that from looking at their supported memory. I'm still holding out for a simple BIOS update though.

The more and more I think of it, the more it has to be a BIOS issue as rebooting the machine will trigger 1GB / 2GB to show at post and then 2GB or 3GB to be seen by Windows.

Hopefully they'll get this sorted out here in the next couple of months.

I'm in contact with Gigabyte at the moment but since all this stuff is new if it doesn't get sorted quick I'll just send it back and get a different motherboard.

I have the same board on XP. 3x1Gb of corsair ram (not the dominator, the 1333 ram). Task manager and cpu-z both show 3Gb of ram.

Two things that concern me are cpu-z show my memory in slots 1,2, and 3 even though I have them in slots 2.4.6. cpu-z reports triple channel though so I'm not sure it's a problem.

The second thing I noticed after digging around was that in system information (accessories, system tools, system information) total physical memory shows as 2,048 MB, and available physical memory shows as 2.51 Gb??

I'm on BIOS version F2.

Alright, email sent to Gigabyte. Told them it existed during F2 bios and even during F6c BIOS. Only solution acceptable to me is either a BIOS update that fixes it or upgrade to a higher board.

Keep you guys posted.

yeah I found something similar with a bent pin socket on the XS forums as well but that just seems wrong....

newest BIOS is F6c anyways which I'm running and I have the issue. I think I'm going to get online with them and tell them I'm having the issue as well.

Well I've tried:

Original
F5
F6a
F6c

Really don't want the hassle of pulling everything apart.

Dude I'm in the same boat. I've got my Core i7 rocking @ 3.8 now and I'm using the 2GB's that I've got quite well but talk about a PITA to tear it down, RMA it, get another board, go through the same song and dance.

Back