Just upgraded to a new 5 GPU rig

brunner

n00b
I recently upgraded my 280 GTX sli setup to two 295 GTXs. I also got a Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-express soundcard so that my middle PCI-express slot is free. With the free middle slot, I used a 8800 GTX as a Physx accelerator.

The rest of my specs are: Q6600 at 3.2, 6gb DDR2 800 on a 680I, and a 24" monitor. I chose to upgrade my graphics subsystem because Kyle had mentioned that most games are still GPU limited. So far, I've to agree with him. My 280 GTX SLI setup was pretty nice already but even 2 280s weren't quite fast enough to allow me to turn on 8xAA or use super-sampling transparency AA at 1920x1200 in more graphically demanding games. Farcry 2 is now smooth at 1920x1200 w/8X AA + SS transparency AA w/ultra settings whereas it wasn't even playable with the same settings before.

I think I also got lucky with the two 295s that I got. My previous EVGA 280 SSCs were only capable of running at 670 (core), 1404 (shader), 2400 (ram). So far, I'm running my 295s completely stable at 670, 1458, 2450s. I think I can squeeze some more out of the shader clocks so in some ways each of my 295's GPUs is faster than the old 280s. Although the memory bandwidth and, obviously, memory capacity are still lesser than the 280s, this doesn't seem to be noticeable at 1920x1200. The only game which the lesser ram makes a difference is GTA4, where I have to use medium texture settings. I can however max out almost everything else in GTA4 and still be able to run at 30-40fps. I know for sure that my 2 280s weren't capable of doing so.

With regards to using the 8800 as a PHYSX accelerator, that might seem like overkill but it actually does bring a nice performance increase. Nvidia's drivers are still kinda dumb with PHYSX configuration so it isn't possible to use 1 GPU for Physx and 3 GPUS for SLI. One reason why I chose a 295 Quad-SLI setup over a 280 Triple-SLI setup is so that I can use the middle slot for a dedicated Physx accelerator. I'm surprised none of the major hardware sites have tried something like this yet.

The performance with a quad-sli + a 5th GPU as a physx accelerator is simply amazing. In cryostasis, I get 58fps w/max settings at 1920x1200. Without the 8800 GTX, it's about 10 fps. The same performance differences are seen in UT3 and Mirror's Edge. Without the 8800 GTX, the minimum framerate sometimes dips to 40 or high 30s, whereas the minimum is only about low 50s with a 8800 GTX.

So in conclusion, for those that have a similar CPU/Mobo or 280 GTX sli system as me, I think it's worthwhile to consider upgrading to a 5 GPU setup instead of an I7 system if games are your main concern.

I would love to see Hardocp run similar tests with their more extensive tools and measuring methods. Please make it happen, Kyle!

When you are not using it for gaming are you going to fold on that? you would have to disable SLI and have VGA dummy cables though....

also PICS!!!!:D

When you are not using it for gaming are you going to fold on that? you would have to disable SLI and have VGA dummy cables though....

also PICS!!!!:D

Nah, I've never done any folding.

I'm not sure if you guys want to see my RIG. The cables are a mess since I'm just using an Antec mid tower. I just stuff everything inside and close the case. Here are some pics of what it looks like in the OS.

As you can see, it is possible to use 5 GPUs simultaneously!

sys1.jpg

sys2.jpg

Cool. Nice machine man. I wouldn't have gone the GTX 295 path personally, but nice rig none the less.

Man!!! that's KILLER! i think soon you might need to upgrade or oc that quad core more just to keep up with those 5 gpu's

What kind of temps are you getting with everything crammed together in there. Everyone keeps telling me to get 2 295s but i'm going 3 285 due to the 30" resolution.

I understand the desire to have a PhysX accelerator, but isn't an 8800GTX in this role a bit of overkill? Can't a cooler GPU do the job just as well?

I understand the desire to have a PhysX accelerator, but isn't an 8800GTX in this role a bit of overkill? Can't a cooler GPU do the job just as well?
um isnt his gpu setup also overkill? for the price of one of those 295 cards I would have upgraded to i7 cpu, motherboard and ddr3. theres no doubt that most of the performance of that second 295 is going right down the crapper with his current cpu. not to mention that even one gtx295 can run out of memory in some situations so a second one will do nothing in those cases.

um isnt his gpu setup also overkill? for the price of one of those 295 cards I would have upgraded to i7 cpu, motherboard and ddr3. theres no doubt that most of the performance of that second 295 is going right down the crapper with his current cpu. not to mention that even one gtx295 can run out of memory in some situations so a second one will do nothing in those cases.

It all depends on the game. A Q6600 at 3.2GHz isn't exactly slow, either.

um isnt his gpu setup also overkill? for the price of one of those 295 cards I would have upgraded to i7 cpu, motherboard and ddr3.

The point that I'm making with this thread is that more GPU power was a better upgrade for me than a CPU/MOBO upgrade. All my framerates have increased along with substantially improved image quality. I typically ran games with 4xAA + Multisampling Transparency AA. Now I use 8x or 16x AA + Supersamling Transparency AA and I still get higher framerates than before.

Mooninites ftw.

OP: Id imagine your pretty heavily bottlenecked by your CPU. You should consider a move to x58/i7 in the near future.

At 1920x1200, most games are still GPU bottlenecked though. All I have to do is turn on Supersampling Transparencies and the framerate would automatically drop. Even with 4 heavily overclocked 295 GPUs, there is a substantial framerate hit with 16x AA or Supersampling Transparencies.

What kind of temps are you getting with everything crammed together in there. Everyone keeps telling me to get 2 295s but i'm going 3 285 due to the 30" resolution.

The 2 295 GTXes are surprisingly cooler and quieter than my 280 GTXes. I've never noticed load temps go beyond 85 degrees even when the fans are just going at 60% or so. My 280 GTXEs used to run their fans at much higher speeds once the temps get around 80 or so. I live in LA where it's still 70 degrees this time of the year so the temps are really good.

Man!!! that's KILLER! i think soon you might need to upgrade or oc that quad core more just to keep up with those 5 gpu's

lol I don't know if 2 quad xeons would be able to keep up with those things :eek:

crazy setup, get any benchmarks?

It all depends on the game. A Q6600 at 3.2GHz isn't exactly slow, either.
it is when youre pushing FOUR high end gpus. the i7 architecture will allow those four gpus to really stretch their legs. well except in cases where he runs out of video memory.

At 1920x1200, most games are still GPU bottlenecked though. All I have to do is turn on Supersampling Transparencies and the framerate would automatically drop. Even with 4 heavily overclocked 295 GPUs, there is a substantial framerate hit with 16x AA or Supersampling Transparencies.

IIRC i7 helped multi GPU setups quite a bit. Since multi GPU isnt really worth it til 1920x1200, i figured id mention it since youve got quite a few in there.

to the OP.

BRAVO!

That, my friend, is THE [H]ardest graphics setup i have ever heard of!

**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**

you definately have a SERIOUS desire for incredible graphics.
I find my gtx260 with and 8800gt as a physx card does just fine on my 24"
I don't feel it all that necessary to turn on all those highend extras, but don't let me stop you.
If i had the money, i'd do it just because. But if i were you, i'd look hard at a core i7 with 12GB setup in tri SLI (that is assuming money is no object, which it appears it is not)

I bid you good luck in your quest for graphics supremacy!
I shudder to think what you would do if you had a 30" screen. Surely that would not be enough :p

Sorry to go off topic but what exactly is folding? Well I know what it is but how do I get started on that. I don't have a setup like this but I can surely help. Thanks and btw nice setup and I agree with thos i7 recommendations.

Wow!

Incredible set up! How about some pics?

I don't care about clutter... I just want an action shot!

Thanks for posting! Very cool!

Holy hell....monster system ftw.

I gotta get away from this thread before it starts giving me ideas.

Damn thats a monster rig, op.

Makes me think that I should bring out my 8800 Ultra and use it as a physics card alongside my heavily overclocked GTX 280 SC.

it is when youre pushing FOUR high end gpus. the i7 architecture will allow those four gpus to really stretch their legs. well except in cases where he runs out of video memory.

agreed, you'll get a boost with an i7, the Quads often leave the cards hungry for more because it can't dish out the data fast enough.

That box alone would make you a small god in the folding world.

Come visit!

Nah, I've never done any folding.

Well man, its a great time to start. With your setup you would be a heavy hitter on literally the best folding team in the world (that's not hyperbole, we have the highest points and points per day). Drop by the Distributed Computing Sub Forum and just say hi. We can answer any questions you might have.

Brunner, this is tremendous information. I'm planning to upgrade my sig rig to Core i7 w/ 2 x eVGA GTX295's. I didn't know what I was going to do with my eVGA 8800GTX, but you have just solved that problem for me.

I too would like to see pics. Don't worry about the cable mess, my current sig rig is a currently a HUGE wiring mess right now as well :)

Whew. Nice setup man. What kind of temps are you seeing with all those GPUs in there?

pics or shins

option b:

Start folding so we can see your output. Remember team 33.

Back