GTA IV leaks video memory even with patch 1.0.2.0?

MechGeek

Limp Gawd
Title says it all. I can play for 5-10 minutes and then it crashes to desktop with the dreaded "Out of video memory, please reboot system" message. I have 1GB video RAM and even let it auto-configure my settings to ridiculously low values and it still crashes to desktop. I'm running the 181.22 drivers.

Googling seemed to suggest a problem with my GTX285 and its new drivers, but it could also be that I'm running Win7 x64 beta. But all the newer titles run just fine on it, barring a Vista or XP compatibility setting here and there.

Has anyone got GTA IV working on Win7 x64 with a GTX285 video card?

Lower your settings to medium on texture so it dont use more than 600Mb/60% vram. Thats how i did it before patch2 on Vista X64 and GTX280 to avoid the RESC10 error that was produced due to the leakage of memory pre patch2.

Just to answer the thread title question of "GTA IV leaks video memory even with patch 1.0.2.0?". Yes, it still has leaks. I don't believe rockstar has even acknowledged this as an issue officially.

Can't help you with the Win 7 x64 + GTX 285 issue sorry.

Have you tried closing Social Club? There were some thoughts that the memory leak might be a problem with the Social Club program.

There are most likely several things causing the vid memory leak.

In my case I have a very reproducable "Out of video memory" error when I hit the ESC key to check the map after an hour or so playing. Something triggers when I try to access the menu that makes the game crash.

I still havent bothered filing a support ticket with R* as they will just give the usual shitty commandlines for me to try and not actually fix their damn game.

I had the crash on ESC key problem too... it'd just crash if I hit it after 2 minutes of play. If I didn't hit ESC, it wouldn't crash for five whole minutes. :rolleyes:

I installed on an XP x64 partition and played for about an hour with view distance at 30 and all other sliders at max. No hiccups at all... no microstuttering, no video memory leaks (or if there are, they're slow ones)

So Win7 and/or the 181.22 Vista x64 drivers are exacerbating the problems with R*'s shitty code.

Try keeping the video memory usage low in the settings, atleast below 512mb if yours is 1gb and see if that works.

Drop your settings, throw in a 2 or 4 gb flash drive and readyboost it and see if it helps.

I just installed the latest nVidia drivers and they are not helping either. It made it worse, should I revert to the older drivers?

Good news!

The new 182.06 nVidia drivers are said to fix the "out of video memory" error with GTA 4

Quote from release notes:

Single-GPU Resolved Issues and Changes
• GeForce 200 Series: Left 4 Dead– hitching occurs during gameplay. [493506]
• Grand Theft Auto IV–the game crashes due to an ʺOut of Video Memoryʺ
issue. [478542]

Yeah, 182.06 dosen't help at all. I think that this issue needs to be adressed with a patch. It happens with my GTX280 as well. I had to lower settings. It happens after about an hour of playing and the framerate slowly drops before that happens.

@MechGeek- How could you see microstuttering with a single gpu? Hell I have used crossfire and sli and have never seen it, regular stuttering from shoddy driver sure, but not micro stuttering. Sorry had to vent, I hate that term.

Yeah, 182.06 dosen't help at all. I think that this issue needs to be adressed with a patch. It happens with my GTX280 as well. I had to lower settings. It happens after about an hour of playing and the framerate slowly drops before that happens.

Man, that friggin sucks.. I still havent had time to test it out myself.

Sorry if I got peoples hopes up :p

Man, that friggin sucks.. I still havent had time to test it out myself.

Sorry if I got peoples hopes up :p

Na, I tested it before I read this. I just set my texture quality to medium and maxed out everything else exept for view distance and traffic density, without aa texture quality dosen't make much of a difference anways, it seems to have helped. I really hope that they fix this and add AA. It really is crazy to have a game made in 2008 that dosen't support anti-aliasing.

Edit: It looks like Nvidia removed the GTA line from the release notes or I just didn't see it.

I just sent Rockstar an email about it. I don't expect much of a responce, but if enough people do the same they might work on it, Im still not getting my hopes up.

Any update on this? I'm getting this problem right now. I wish I hadn't bough GTA IV - at least not for the PC. I swear I'm done with PC gaming. :(

Back