Phenom II x3's Now at the Egg

Going to give it a week to let the prices drop.

What he said lol I'm not in a rush to build a new rig but I always do appreciate price drops ^_^ Let's see how Intel counters this and what AMD does in return.

I know. The other quads will barely fit in at only 30 dollar difference between the 720 and 920. I bet it will fall at least another 20 dollars before Intel does anything.

not bad, price is a little high. shouldn't take very long to go down. still very tempting even if i don't have an am2+ board to throw it on yet. i think i'll wait till pay day next friday even though i have the funds to finally upgrade i'm not in that big of a hurry... i think :cool:

Anyone notice the thumbnail on newegg shows the boxed CPU sitting on the 'backdrop' they use to shoot the photos instead of being edited down to a clean shot of just the package?

I've been waiting all week for this to drop!
But... I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. Price drops and such...

I already got my Newegg Wish List saved and waiting for my Fed tax return to get in my bank tomorrow.

1. AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
  2. GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
  3. PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
  4. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM
  5. Asus Radeon 4870 1Gb

However, I think I will visit the Fry's in Fountain Valley tomorrow to see if I can save a few bucks (other thread said $124 for the 720) as that would almost pay for two SATA optical drives.

I already got my Newegg Wish List saved and waiting for my Fed tax return to get in my bank tomorrow.

5. Asus Radeon 4870 1Gb

Wow, my choice exactly! This is my plans for next build, should be fun. Gonna try my first liquid cooling on it. Got a CM HAF to put it all in.

Good luck with it!

Wow, my choice exactly! This is my plans for next build, should be fun. Gonna try my first liquid cooling on it. Got a CM HAF to put it all in.

Good luck with it!

Thanks! If that is your exact choice you must have spent some time picking out your components as I sure did. This is going into a V2000? series that I picked up at a garage sale. I think I will run on air until I'm sure everything works properly. Then it is water, chilled alcohol, or maybe a phase change..

For those who are looking for a DDR3 MB with native PH-II Socket AM3 here are the links to newegg:

ASUS MA479T Deluxe
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Good timing on neweggs part :). Building a new pc for a co-worker who plays at 1280X1024 res, and didnt beed a BIG beefy system.

Guess ill be putting in that tricore procs in a new Asus mobo for her.

God Value is great!

P.S. Newegg > all

Thanks! If that is your exact choice you must have spent some time picking out your components as I sure did. This is going into a V2000? series that I picked up at a garage sale. I think I will run on air until I'm sure everything works properly. Then it is water, chilled alcohol, or maybe a phase change..

For those who are looking for a DDR3 MB with native PH-II Socket AM3 here are the links to newegg:

ASUS MA479T Deluxe
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Not sure if this mobo supports DDR3, but it supports the new AM3 CPU's, and isnt too expensive (and Asus)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131362

Not sure if this mobo supports DDR3, but it supports the new AM3 CPU's, and isnt too expensive (and Asus)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131362

No, unfortunately the M4A78 PRO doesn't suport DDR3 - I went to the manufacturer's website - only DDR2. If it did at $110 it would be a steal. DDR2 is good enough though, although as in Kyle's new review DDR3 did make a little bit of a difference, maybe 2% to 7% max difference.

No, unfortunately the M4A78 PRO doesn't suport DDR3 - I went to the manufacturer's website - only DDR2. If it did at $110 it would be a steal. DDR2 is good enough though, although as in Kyle's new review DDR3 did make a little bit of a difference, maybe 2% to 7% max difference.

Ahhh shitty, O well at least it supports the new AM3 cpu's and at $110 it is a good price for an Asus mobo.

<3 asus

5. Asus Radeon 4870 1Gb

However, I think I will visit the Fry's in Fountain Valley tomorrow to see if I can save a few bucks (other thread said $124 for the 720) as that would almost pay for two SATA optical drives.

Why 790FX mobo ?

Probably because the 790XT gets its PCIE slots set to 8x when two cards are in use... :p

Any date on AM3 X4 with unlocked multi?

I posted this article in the 720/810 review thread but then the database died. It's a supposed leaked roadmap for this year: http://www.donanimhaber.com/AMDnin_guncel_yol_haritasi_Haziran_ayina_kadar_cikacak_yeni_islemciler-12763.htm

If that roadmap is correct it looks like that 945 and/or 950 will be the top-end models and most likely to get the BE branding. The Hebrew month of Nisan correlates to March-April time frame. Guess the 925 could get a BE too, either way I'd say March at the earliest for AM3 BE CPUs based on that chart.

Just picked up a 710 to replace my backup rigs 3800X2.

I wonder how high i can get it on my ma78gpm 780g.

I posted this article in the 720/810 review thread but then the database died. It's a supposed leaked roadmap for this year: http://www.donanimhaber.com/AMDnin_...ayina_kadar_cikacak_yeni_islemciler-12763.htm

If that roadmap is correct it looks like that 945 and/or 950 will be the top-end models and most likely to get the BE branding. The Hebrew month of Nisan correlates to March-April time frame. Guess the 925 could get a BE too, either way I'd say March at the earliest for AM3 BE CPUs based on that chart.

If that's the correct roadmap, I will probably wait for the Phenom II X4 925-- same as the 920 but 95W and socket AM3. That means I can drop it in my current AM2+ board and wait until I purchase an AM3 board in the near future to put it in.

The Phenom II X4 920 and 940 now seem like dead ends to me since they are the only AM2+ chips on that chart. They aren't backwards compatible to future AM3 boards and thus you'll be stuck with a processor that can ONLY be used in current gen AM2+ boards.

I guess it's true: Good things come to those that wait. :D

I guess it's true: Good things come to those that wait. :D

Pretty much the mantra of IT, there's always something better down the road.

I think it will be really interesting to see what those Propus and Regor cores can do without the L3 cache. Since they have the IPC improvements of the Phenom II but lack the cache I'd want to say it will put them somewhere around the performance of the original Phenoms more or less. Hopefully it won't be drastically worse anyway. That 45W figure for a quad/tri core is pretty damn fine looking for anyone looking to build an HTPC or for OEMs looking at smaller form factors. Should do nicely in cheap notebooks too. That's more than enough power to decode most any media you throw at it, obviously it won't be a powerhouse for encoding stuff but that should be left for the heavy lifters anyway if you're worrying about shaving that extra bit of time off.

ASUS MA479T Deluxe
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

in my opinion the Gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377

is the only am3 mobo currently available that is worth buying. That is a personal thing since I run many hard drives in raid, and with this board I could put my 6 drives in raid5 with out a control card, and put 3 more drives for the OS in raid 5 on a seprate on board controller and still have a port for a disk drive. I am a disk speed/ Raid-O -Holic and lets be serious, how many people need more than 2 PCIe16 slots? So on this board, You can have everything anyone could need... I think, lol

Nice... I too have been eagerly awaiting its arrival. I too am going to wait a week or so for maybe a price drop and maybe free shipping???

My plan is just to pick up a 720 BE for now and drop into my existing AM2+/DDR2 system. I'll kick down later for an AM3 board once all the options are out and tested and the prices come down a bit.

my question is this:
do the x3 phenom 2's beat the 9950be and 9850be phenom 1's? they have a larger cache and they are phenom 2's....any data on this?

Heck yeah finally get to use up the two ddr3 sticks I have around and get to play around with the phenom II tech plus its cheaper than core 2quad and around the same price as phenom 1 , I would like to know as well anything on 710 720 compared to the 9850

Haha they keep jackin up the price, was $155 yesterday afternoon, $160 couple hours later, and now $165.

Seems most retailers are going to have them by Feb. 17, so I'm going to wait till then.

Yes, the PH2 X3's and X4's are faster than the PH1's. There are all sorts of reviews available on the inet.

Ahhh shitty, O well at least it supports the new AM3 cpu's and at $110 it is a good price for an Asus mobo.

<3 asus

Yeah, you are 110% right!!! I wish I had that mobo instead of the M3A78-T because I paid more for the M3A78-T but it works fine and will also hande PH2's, but I have an Asrock 790Gx mobo that is being replaced through RMA process so I can use that Asrock (an excellent mobo according to reviews) to use with an X3 720 or whatever latter in 2009. Maybe I will sell the M3A78-T with the X2 7750 I have running in it as I have way too many computers, and some are just sitting around doing not much of anything :eek: even though I just sold two to our company. Crazy hobby, but at least you can resell older but still good systems and components to recover some of your hobby cost. :rolleyes:

Haha they keep jackin up the price, was $155 yesterday afternoon, $160 couple hours later, and now $165.

Seems most retailers are going to have them by Feb. 17, so I'm going to wait till then.

I'm somewhat annoyed with the poster in another thread that claimed that Fry's had AM3 chips in stock. I was at Fry's in Fountain Valley today and their computer shows no stock at any of their stores. They also mentioned that Fry's have never received a shipment of the AM3's at all. What a waste of a trip to OC. :mad:

Even at the $165.99 price I paid for an X3 720 BE it was still a good deal. Other etailers got them for way above that price. :D

10 SATA ports :D
DDR3 support :D
PCI Express x 16 support times two slots :D

None of those are inherent to a 790fx board. The ddr 3 support is determined by socket, the manufacturer decides the amount of pcie slots and the amount of sata ports is up to the southbridge and any extra controller chips.

Back