Which DAC only?

cesium666

Supreme [H]ardness
I know I've made similar threads, but this time I need a USB dac only for under $100.

I've purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880s (2003) and a Meier Audio Headfive amp. All I'm missing is a USB DAC (needs RCA output, altho i guess an adapter could be used), and all I've got left is $100.

I was thinking of buying a HotAudio DAC Destroyer or HotAudio DAC Straight (if I can get a good price), or a premade alien dac or y1 dac.

Any other options?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
uh oh lol. i put quite a low offer on the hotaudio dac straight and he accepted it lol. guess my decisions made for me.

I'll be waiting to hear about your impressions of it then. I haven't heard much at all about it; the guy seems pretty new to the scene and I haven't seen his circuit published either.

yep, ill be sure to do that. people seem to be very happy with his dac/amp combos, so I figured it was worth a shot.

i'm still surprised he accepted my offer lol

edit: from reading his thread on headfi, i think this dac uses the PCM2702 chip. its a decent chip from what i can tell.

If choosing a chip was all there is to designing a good DAC, anyone could do it...

Back