Vizio Bails Out of Plasma TV Market

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Another TV maker is leaving the plasma market: Vizio. While the rumor mill awaits official word from Pioneer, Vizio has officially made it known that they are focusing on LCD TVs and diversifying their offerings.

The company’s Web site still features plasma models, but Vizio introduced no new plasma models last month at the Consumer Electronics Show, and is now virtually out of its existing plasma inventory, according to the company co-founder Laynie Newsome. As a result, just three large-volume plasma manufacturers are left marketing their sets in the United States: LG, Panasonic and Samsung.

As someone else posted on a different forum... "now if only they will bail out of the LCD market too"...

The rumor mill got offical word from Pioneer yesterday, they are getting out.

I'm fine with Vizio getting out of the Plasma market because their sets were not very good. However, on the LCD side they are making a lot of progress and actually pushing up the quality of lower end LCD sets. The new 55" LED local backlite unit for $1999 this summer is going to be pretty sweet.

I'm sad about Pioneer though. I might pick up an Elite 111 before they are gone. Yeah they were overpriced but the quality was second to none.

As someone else posted on a different forum... "now if only they will bail out of the LCD market too"...

any one know why? Brentsg... why are you bagging on them?

Indeed. I have a SV470XVT 120 Hz 1080p LCD from them and have been 110% happy. Only needed a few mild tweaks. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray @ 1080p are orgasmic on this baby. Only nitpick I had was that the built-in speakers are not really of the same caliber as the rest of the TV, but that's livable.

Why would you want Vizio to bail out of the LCD market. Vizio right now is #1 in LCD sales and they have basically driven the prices down via their competitive edge. Now some of their offerings are crap, but their latest 55" offering is pretty good. Plus they cover a large segment of the buying market that doesn't or isn't looking for the upper end or videophile range. Mid-grade is just fine with their market.

I 2nd that everytime I go into Wal-mart someone's buying one and a friend and I were shopping not long ago and there was a guy standing next to us and he was commenting on the great colors on the Vizio and I told him that it was just Vizio setting their tv's to max contrast to fool people that don't know shit about buying a Tv.

Which is generally who you find shopping at Wal-mart.:p

My Vizio has been fine. I use it with an Oppo upscaling DVD. Works for me. I have no desire to spend 1x,xxx. on a TV setup.

any one know why? Brentsg... why are you bagging on them?

In my opinion they make a poor quality product that is largely unsupported after the warranty period. They make post warranty repairs so expensive that it's clear they want to sell disposable displays.

And they sell so many cheap units that they have done a lot imo to drive the industry toward the same practices.

Why would you want Vizio to bail out of the LCD market. Vizio right now is #1 in LCD sales and they have basically driven the prices down via their competitive edge. Now some of their offerings are crap, but their latest 55" offering is pretty good. Plus they cover a large segment of the buying market that doesn't or isn't looking for the upper end or videophile range. Mid-grade is just fine with their market.

Well I wouldn't consider any of their offerings to be mid-grade.

Well my friend bought a Vizio for christmas and he was proud of it, I wish he woulda spent a couple $100 extra cuz the picture quality on that Tv is horrible. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Back