Managing an HTPC with Remote Desktop

astyler

Gawd
So my dream setup is to have my HTPC be "remote-only" with no keyboard or mouse, so I originally set up my user without password and it was dandy until I wanted to do more and more fine management and moving my keyboard was a hassle.

I setup a password so that remote desktop was possible so I could manage it from my PC, and used netplwiz to make automatic login possible so that if it were reset, the device wouldn't need a keyboard for password entry.

Anyways, all this works, except if I do remote desktop into the machine, it breaks the TV's session on the machine and next time I try to use it, it's at the login screen wanting a password.

Anyone have any possible solution that doesn't involve wireless keyboards?

I would probably use a different remote administration tool. I've used Radmin before which allows you to control the computer without having to log the user out. I'm sure there are more and possibly better solutions out there but check this route out.

I've been using LogMeIn to manage my home server, but I don't have a password on it.

Create a batch file on your desktop that has the following text in it ... (notepad, save as type all, logout.bat)

tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#0 /dest:console (for vista)
tscon.exe /dest:console (for XP)

Then, when you're finished your Remote Login session, just run the batch file and it'll log you out and log back in the local session.

My video only seems to go to 16-bit when i use Remote Desktop. And yeah its tough to do settings since it locks the user screen.

When you start the remote desktop connection, select options at the bottom, then the display tab, then set colors to 32bit. Should fix it.

I'll try it out logan, if i add:
%SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe
following the first command (link to media center runner), will that start windows media center back up for the local user session or am I dreaming too big now?

(logging in remotely closes the WMC view for some reason)

I don't know if that exact command would work, but you should be able to get it to re-start MCE somehow. I just use the green "start" button on the remote, myself.

I just use concurent login for my vista 32. I can remote from work if the wife has problems. I have streamed a mkv while doing updates and changing permissions fine.

I have it so the htpc user auto logins on boot so i never need to drag the mouse and keyboard. I run that with a remote for a vmc and if i see there is a windows update i rdc in with the other user and run that.

Windows will leave you at the logon screen, it sucks. I made a small .exe that that you click your done using the remote computer which automatically disconnects and relogins to the desktop/main screen. Even better, use a hotkey program to assign the file to a key, then just hit that key and your done.

If you have not found a solution, PM me and ill send you a download link

Gah, so the bat file:

tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#0 /dest:console
%SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe

Almost works perfectly; logs me out, doesn't leave a login screen, and starts up WMC, but leaves a cursor right in the middle of the screen that I can't clear with the remote at all.

I might just leave out the last line and use the green button. Only problem is that button is a PITA cause it turns on my 360 :(

go into your 360 and change the remote settings. I had that issue with the green button and searched and searched for a fix. It now only takes commands from the 360 not any mce remote and wont turn on with green button.

thanks for the help, the bat file is actually working perfectly for me, there was only a cursor the first time but has since stopped (i think there was some dialog popup behind VMC that brought the cursor up).

thanks for the 360 fix info, I'll be sure to change that right away so i can remove the cardboard from my 360 :D

heh, I had the same problem with my 360... it took me a while to figure out it was turning on SageTV (which I had linked to the green button through my Harmony 880) was also turning on my 360. I'm glad it had that setting to change.

Now I just want a "invert horizontal right stick" option for games that have the camera control reversed... <sigh>

Back