Smashed my 4870x2.

Vonteme

Weaksauce
Hi

I was bored and I though I could put the time in a good use:) I LOVE to smash electronic stuff, it's so damn fun.

suc50730.jpg

suc50731.jpg

It was quite easy to remove both cores:p

Now the question is why did I destroy it?

After a small mod i did, I accidentally the card, and thats why i destroyed it, because there was no way to fix it.

have a nice day:p

Enjoy all the small sharp bits and pieces that are stuck in the carpet poking your toes n feet for years to come.

And this ladies is why you don't try and mod a card unless you know what your doing..

What a waste......but hey, you got some nice keychains..:)

It's a meme. Google it.

What was the mod you did and how did it go wrong?

i was to lazy to explane, but i have the energy now.

I tried to remove the screws from the backplate, the last screw that held the backplate was damaged and there was no posiblites to remove it.

I though I could turn the backplate some turns so the screw would follow and fall off from it.

As I did a small turn, I noticed some of the components got mangeled from the inside of the backplate, i did not predict that! ¤%&/()=# !!

Bad spelling, don't have grammer check.

I'm curious as to what you tried doing to it that broke it, but, Keychains FTW!

wow vonteme good work. you are just too cool. Did you at least try it and see if it still worked?

People who do that are the ones who are making it worse for everyone else. He did the right thing imo.

making what worse?

making what worse?

Uhm... shortening warranty, less flexible RMA procedures, plus all the other fall-out from JAs who think it's okay to send back a card under RMA after they have destroyed it due to their own stupid fault?

wow vonteme good work. you are just too cool. Did you at least try it and see if it still worked?

making what worse?

The OP voided his warranty the second he tried to do whatever mod he wanted to do ... at his own risk, and broke the card. Why would he even try to RMA it when it was his fault it broke, that's beyond dishonest. I agree with everyone else that say he did the right thing!

Good job OP! KEY CHAINS FTW! (sorry about the loss, that sucks!)

The OP voided his warranty the second he tried to do whatever mod he wanted to do ... at his own risk, and broke the card. Why would he even try to RMA it when it was his fault it broke, that's beyond dishonest. I agree with everyone else that say he did the right thing!

Good job OP! KEY CHAINS FTW! (sorry about the loss, that sucks!)

yeah, I reacted as usual calm and optimistic, I though I could fix it, but I was beound unrealitisc, haha..

The purpose with the mod was to remove the uper plastic cover and put some fans to make the cooling better...I FAILED ,fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu^666x

WOw what an expensive little accident:eek:

I think I would have tried it and see if it still works before destroying it. Maybe could have fried your mobo too and we could see some pics of that destroyed:D

Well the good news I may have a VisionTek 4870 X2 for sale.

one cheap ass drill, a bit and 30 seconds could have saved you $450 but way to go ;)

Seriously... i doubt it would of even been that hard of a fix, FFS it would be cheaper to invest into a hot air rework station and repair any of the chips you destroyed.

So you wasted $500 over something like a capacitor that could have been replaced for <$5?

If you would have bought xfx, you could probably warranty the damn thing right now (Exaggerating, but they really do let you pull warranty on massive user damage)

yeah, I reacted as usual calm and optimistic, I though I could fix it, but I was beound unrealitisc, haha..

The purpose with the mod was to remove the uper plastic cover and put some fans to make the cooling better...I FAILED ,fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu^666x

:confused:

AHAHAHA I destroyed a card more expensive than the rest of my individual PC parts...genius, I fail to see how besides the main blower and air channel shroud what good some fans blowing on the card will do, most normal modders would have just switched to a water cooling alternative than smash the living sh!t out of it.

Like someone else said, drill the screw head off.

Ah well it's not my money that got thrown in the bin.

With that shakey of pictures I think he must be drunk or something.

Either that or the OP really has no business working on small things that require steady hands.

Fail as a modder.

Please send me $450 the next time you feel like smashing something.:eek:

Well... I don't know what to say other than that I'd kill for one of those as a keychain for sure.

wow, nice idea! :p

Can I have the Fan?
I broke it

With that shakey of pictures I think he must be drunk or something.

Either that or the OP really has no business working on small things that require steady hands.

I was not drunk nor do I have shakey hands. It was quite uncomfortable to take a picture with one hand, which caused the shakiness:p

Back