Price Drop!!! 4870/4850

Gah! I was trying to wait for the next gen, but this makes it even harder. :(

Way to kick Nvidia while they are down!
All things considered though this could actually be bad. The average consumer knows squat about the numbers, they just think the more expensive ones must be faster. Will make them think the ATI cards are slow little budget toys.

I don't think so. People looking for graphics cards usually know the difference. Why ? Because when you buy a computer with a graphics card capable of playing games and even more one like the 4800 series or the GT200 series you usually search for information online or on magazines on what is the best graphics card to buy. People may not understand much about computers but when a review says that you can get the same performance and pay less, there isn't much more of an argument.

The only people that buy GTX 295s and 4870X2 are the hardcores.

That is the problem with NVIDIA now. It is both failining to compete in the hardcore arena and in the mainstream.

i think its time to put my 8800GTX up for auction on fleabay.... I'd really like for it to just die on me so i can get a 260 :p

I really really want NVIDIA to cut prices. I'm extremely disapointed with NVIDIA.

With the die shrink they're graphics card consome less power and costs THEM less.
As a single chip they are more powerful then ATI counterpart.
A few months ago they had the best drivers and usualy people ranted about lack of optimization on ATI side.

Now time as passed and the latest ATI drivers give a kick in the butt to NVIDIA cards. ATI has a less powerfull chip but it is way cheaper. So cheap indeed that crossfire becomes a good choice and thus kicking any of the nvidia cards be it single chip option or SLI.

NVIDIA is loosing any possible edge it had a few months ago. Even a couple of weeks ago.
What the HELL are they waiting to cut prices?

I really really wanted a NVIDIA card for the phycx but this way it is sooooo hard to go for one,

I remember when NVIDIA had little competition and the prices were way way high for they're graphics card. Now they have competition. The competition keeps on hurting them bad. It is doing so for almost one year since it released the 4800 series. And NVIDIA still wants to be the "expensive" card maker.. It simply doesn't make sense

So everyone thinks ATi is doing this for the good of customers, rather than likely just clearing stock of old 4870s to make way for the 4970 in April?

Buy whatever makes you happy. Cheapest doesn't always = best though.

On Newegg, the 4870 1GB has gone UP in price. A week ago, you could find the MSI R4870-T2D1G and the ASUS EAH4870 for under $220, now they are $255 and $275 respectively.

well theyre all at $230 after rebate. i guess thats not too bad. i'm sure the prices will drop in the next week or so.

So everyone thinks ATi is doing this for the good of customers, rather than likely just clearing stock of old 4870s to make way for the 4890 in April?

Call it strategic philanthropy then. :p

And no one is arguing cheapest = best. Its always been about price : performance which the 4870 and 4850 are renown for.

So everyone thinks ATi is doing this for the good of customers, rather than likely just clearing stock of old 4870s to make way for the 4890 in April?

Well no shit that cheapest doesn't = best. But you need to look at the value curve. At $150 and today's games, the 4870 is an unprecedented value.

The ATI cards just aren't that durable. I had 2 4870s up and die on me within a month. Buyer beware....

My GTX 260 and 280 are just rock solid, overclock great and have not had any spontaneous deaths...

The ATI cards just aren't that durable. I had 2 4870s up and die on me within a month. Buyer beware....

My GTX 260 and 280 are just rock solid, overclock great and have not had any spontaneous deaths...

well i've also seen many gtx280's with major overheating issues. so its not related to jus the brand. its a quality control issue.

With these price drops, I'm just going to wait for the RV790. Might as well get one of those for 200 or so dollars.

So everyone thinks ATi is doing this for the good of customers, rather than likely just clearing stock of old 4870s to make way for the 4970 in April?

no but best bang for the buck means best in most peoples books anyways. and they are trying to clear out all the old 512mb stock. and for 95% of the games that is fine, a 1gb buffer is not needed even at high resolutions. and two 4870 512mb for 300 dollars will wipe the floor with a similarly priced setup about 90% the time as well. kinda hard to beat really.

The 4870 512MB is an absolutely amazing card at $150 :eek:

What will Nvidia do? Anything based on the G9x will be too slow to compete, and anything GTX200-based is too expensive to make to sell at that price point. IMO they need to get a "real" GTX250 ready, one based on a cut-down GTX260, and they need to get it ready soon. Re-branding nearly 2.5-years old technology just won't work and more.

What will Nvidia do? Anything based on the G9x will be too slow to compete, and anything GTX200-based is too expensive to make to sell at that price point. IMO they need to get a "real" GTX250 ready, one based on a cut-down GTX260, and they need to get it ready soon. Re-branding nearly 2.5-years old technology just won't work and more.

yeah really...

its funny, right before the 4800's came out nvidia was the one bashing them in the press saying bl;lah blah blah you suck ati basically...

now look who's losing. you get what you give. :p

i think its time to put my 8800GTX up for auction on fleabay.... I'd really like for it to just die on me so i can get a 260 :p

I don't mind seeing a " I smash my 8800GTX " thread with pics and the hammer that did the smashing ;)

Trust me I am sure with the lack of competition at ATi's price point there, they could have just kep the prices the same. This is for the good of the customers.

Shit my 9700pro and 1900XTX is still running along nicely.

Just cause you got 2 bad cards doesnt mean you fried them by overclocking a shitton.

WOW. Thats a super aggresive price cut for a very good card.
a 4870 at $149 is absolutely amazing...its almost pointless to buy a 4850 at $129 let alone nVidia cards.
nVidia has NOTHING to compete against the pricepoitns of 4800 series atm :eek:

I have to wonder whats the true meaning behind these price cuts..40nm cards anyone?

The ATI cards just aren't that durable. I had 2 4870s up and die on me within a month. Buyer beware...

while I can understand your particular trepidation, My ATI cards have all been completely rock solid.

If two cards in your system die at the same time then it's probably your PSU at fault.
If that kind of failure rate was legitimately an ATI problem, you would see articles all over the internet about it, it would be like the RROD of video cards.

So
HD 4830 - $80
HD 4750 - $100
HD 4850 - $129
HD 4870 512 - $150
HD 4870 1Gb - $179 (see this link, unverified though)
HD 4890 (vanilla) - $250
HD 4890 OC - $300

HD 4870x2 - $400
HD 4890x2 -$500 (?)
HD 4890x2 OC - $600 (?)

Agreed.
They can't rebrand the 9800 GTX+ or whatever it is; which was just an 8800 GT and call it a GTX 250.............the green team needs something fresh.

I have a 4870 512MB and it is a good card,going strong.

So
HD 4830 - $80
HD 4750 - $100
HD 4850 - $129
HD 4870 512 - $150
HD 4870 1Gb - $200
HD 4890 (vanilla) - $250
HD 4890 OC - $300

HD 4870x2 - $400
HD 4890x2 -$500 (?)
HD 4890x2 OC - $600 (?)
The article says the 4830s will be replaced with a newer part; most likely the '4750'.
Not sure yet how the 4890s will perform but it seems the price/performace quickly deminishes after the 4870s.
I hope ATI releases the 4890s at $199.

The article says the 4830s will be replaced with a newer part; most likely the '4750'.
Not sure yet how the 4890s will perform but it seems the price/performace quickly deminishes after the 4870s.
I hope ATI releases the 4890s at $199.

Supposedly even 4870 1Gb is dropping down to $179 so that could be a realistic number. I'm interested more about the price of the OC version and whether there is going to be a 4890x2 OC edition.

Agreed.
They can't rebrand the 9800 GTX+ or whatever it is; which was just an 8800 GT and call it a GTX 250.............the green team needs something fresh.

I have a 4870 512MB and it is a good card,going strong.

from a historical point of view, this could be great for nvidia. last time amd slashed prices ridiculously was before core2 came out lol

What a kick in the guts this is. Besides for the 295 ATI was pretty much in control of most price points and levels and now this further cements that mid range lead. Impressive price cut that should really put Nvidia on the defensive.

The good news is we all win when this kind of stuff happens thanks to the competition. :D

I think the price drop will be to diminish stock of the items before the launch of the 4970 and 4950. It makes a lot of sense really they diminish stock of the items, then release the new items that include the 4750 to fill all other gaps.

I think the price drop will be to diminish stock of the items before the launch of the 4970 and 4950. It makes a lot of sense really they diminish stock of the items, then release the new items that include the 4750 to fill all other gaps.

if they're going to release 47xx and 49xx cards at the same time, why not just call it the 56xx and 58xx

Back