Security Advisory: Firefox 3.0.7

HardOCP News

[H] News
For all you alternative browser types out there, Mozilla has released a new version of Firefox (3.0.7). The latest updated fixes eight vulnerabilities, six of which are considered critical.

Mozilla developers identified and fixed several stability bugs in the browser engine used in Firefox and other Mozilla-based products. Some of these crashes showed evidence of memory corruption under certain circumstances and we presume that with enough effort at least some of these could be exploited to run arbitrary code.

I updated lastnight. Today I got an error from the system and Firefox shutdown. I'm running XP-MCE without a pagefile and got the "increase pagefile size" notice when Firefox got shutdown. I assume it's something to do with the new memory fixes.
I'm running 2 gpu and 1 smp folding clients, but still have over 750MB ram free.

_

hmm

i've never really thought of myself as an "alternative browser" type

still using firefox 2.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0......20 something.

tried upgrading and lost 80% of my bookmarks. hadda do a system restore to get everything back

i just got a little notice on my screen, and updated with no problems....so far

I'm also getting a connection timeout when trying to update. Hopefully it will be available soon.

I've been using Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 for the last several months, with nary an update in sight... I hope that this version doesn't contain the vulnerabilities that are getting patched in 3.0.

Firefox isn't really the alternative browser. It's the regular browser. Chrome and Opera are the alternatives. IE is just something you use to download Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. Personally I just use the console FTP client, but whatever.

Firefox isn't really the alternative browser. It's the regular browser. Chrome and Opera are the alternatives. IE is just something you use to download Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. Personally I just use the console FTP client, but whatever.

QFT.

+1

Been using Firefox since it came out. IE ftl

My FF update window shows "connecting to the update server"
Doesn't seems to be able to start downloading the update

Firefox has many critical vulnerabilities... they get patched.
IE has many critical vulnerabilities... they get patched.

I really don't see the argument for security anymore. Especially since in Vista/7 you've got UAC so the fundamental security of a sandbox is better than a standalone app.
Firefox gets broken and you're into the userspace. IE gets broken and you hit UAC. Zero day protection FTW.

Now, I'd still say there's a great argument for plugins and web standards, no doubt.

Now, I'd still say there's a great argument for plugins and web standards, no doubt.

...and those are the real deal breakers and pretty much the major reasons why the people who use Firefox use it. Me? I know how NOT to screw my shit up, so I would be just as safe using an older version of IE without any type of PC security. I don't choose to use FF because it's "safer" - I use it because it has pretty much every type of plugin imaginable, it's pretty secure, and it conforms to most web standards.

Me? I know how NOT to screw my shit up, so I would be just as safe using an older version of IE without any type of PC security

I'll be direct, to the point, and not sugar coat this in any way....

That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.

Talk to anyone involved in Security and they'd laugh in your face about that. It doesn't matter how well versed you are in security, stuff happens.
Have you ever heard of a zero day attack?

I'll be direct, to the point, and not sugar coat this in any way....

That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.

Talk to anyone involved in Security and they'd laugh in your face about that. It doesn't matter how well versed you are in security, stuff happens.
Have you ever heard of a zero day attack?

Yes, I know what a zero day attack is, no I've never gotten any form of malware on any machine I have ever owned.

Why? Because I know how NOT to get infected. That's not the most "ignorant thing" you've ever heard. I'll be direct, to the point, and not sugar coated in any way: if you're not a moron and don't visit questionable sites, and don't open any questionable emails, then your standard software/hardware firewall combo will be good enough.

Did I say I DON'T use virus protection? No, I didn't. So, until I do, then you should probably refrain from calling the way I run my computer "ignorant", because by the way it sounds - you sure have gotten yourself some malware before, but have been lucky enough for your virus/malware protection to catch it and remove it in time.

I've already decided that I'm done with this argument, as there is no arguing - I've never had any malware due to my "practices", and I don't use Firefox because it's "safer", I use it because it's better, and that's pretty much all I have to say.

So, good day :)

Back