Mysterious Elecom Scope Node Mouse

Phyltre

Limp Gawd
Just stumbled over a product listing for a supposedly available Elecom mouse, called the Scope Node. Can't find any real product/purchasing information about it. Anyone got a heads up?

scopenode2.png

scopenode1.png

This is the PDF the images are coming from, a European Elecom affiliate, but apparently they don't actually sell anything, at least not online.
http://www.ednet-gmbh.de/download/products_elecom_2009.pdf

I can't even begin to describe how uncomfortable that looks.

I just like "different" peripherals. I see a strange design and want to try it out. Worst case it would make a good paperweight. ;)

Must have just been announced. I don't see it anywhere on their website.

It looks suspiciously like it has some kind of trackpad where you'd put your thumb... what is that mysterious black mostly circle with the red dot?

I sent an email to jlist.com about this mouse (they sell Elecom products to countries that wouldn't otherwise be able to get them, among other things) and they said

"Thanks for letting us know about this. Yes, we'll get that in as soon as we can."

So if anyone out there actually might want this mouse, jlist will probably be your best bet for finding it. I'm hoping it's just a new/pre-release, and not a failed/cancelled product launch or an extremely limited run. Frankly I'm just curious how the thing works. Other Elecom mice with buttons in those locations had functions for moving in 3-d space, like the M-3D1UR laser mouse for CAD and other design applications.

elecom3dmouse.png

So I'm curious just how much of those extra surfaces are functional. I also hope this mouse doesn't cost more than a G9, that's probably the cut-off point in my budget right now. Oh, my sad love for odd accessories and the poor state of my wallet...

Necroing because there was a story over at Engadget about this and I'm interested. Doesn't look nearly as uncomfortable with a hand on top of it. Kind of makes sense, really.

jlist doesn't yet stock it, but then I have no idea if it's actually available for sale yet. Can't find any resellers.

That thing looks diseased. Having a slight tension off center (cord isn't in the center) would feel weird to me.

The silver/matte version (my favorite) is up for pre-order at jlist. $64, unsure of shipping. I expect there will be more retail options once the mouse sees a release in Japan.

The silver/matte version (my favorite) is up for pre-order at jlist. $64, unsure of shipping. I expect there will be more retail options once the mouse sees a release in Japan.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'd been looking in to importing my self, but this seems to be a much more reasonable and likely less expensive option.

Shipping is ~$5-15, not all that unreasonable from Japan. I got the $7.50 option which is supposed to take 7-10 days, vs. the $5.50 option that could take up to 3 weeks. $15 gets it in 4 days. Total was $72.60 shipped with the 7-10 day option.

Now I just have to find a new keyboard...

It handles and feels just like a normal mouse, the mouse itself is slightly smaller than the pictures suggest (obviously for smaller Eastern hands, although I have large hands and it's still comfortable.) I'd say most of what's different is the styling rather than any real usability change, but if you like the style, it's a neat mouse. And you're sure to get comments on it at work or some other such location. Definitely competently put together--but I'd put it below, say, A G9 or Revolution as far as component quality. Then again, it's a fair bit cheaper than those mice as well.

so i guess it isn't quite like holding a pen like the advertisement claims it is. =/

so i guess it isn't quite like holding a pen like the advertisement claims it is. =/

You can make it feel like that, but you have to tilt the mouse slightly to do so. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be.

Back