disable gtx285 downclocking

Does anyone know how to disable downclocking/powersaving on the gtx285?? I cannot play COD4 anymore because it just crashes no matter what my clocks are at. I have a feeling it is power savings related because everything else runs fine..

doesn't setting dual display lower performance? I know it technically should do nothing if I have only one monitor but I always set my 3d settings to "single display performance mode". anyway I'll give it a try.

well, it does nothing. regardless of the setting, clocks stay at 300/600/100 and idle voltage at 1.10.

i remember there was a fix posted on some forum that described turning off downclocking with a gtx280 through modifying registry settings, but I have searched and searched and cannot find it. The closest thing I found was an exe someone posted that disables downclocking on the 200 series, but the hosting site no longer has the file. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

there was a bug with the GTX280 that stopped downclocking

I just fixed mine by modifying the bios with nibitor4.9 and flashing it back onto the card now its always at 702/1598/1250

you can try forcing performance mode with rivatuner but it's hit or miss.

I hope they fix this in future drivers. I can not minimize any of my games anymore without the card going to 2D speeds on the desktop and the game running in the background. Then I maximize and get crap 3D performance cause the card is still stuck @ 2D speed. O well, no more forum wh0ring while I'm waiting for respawn I guess. Please fix this Nvidia. It's my one and ONLY complaint.

You should be able to change the 2D speeds in Rivatuner to match your 3D speeds. I personally have not tried it, but I'm sure it's possible.

well even if u do, 3d clocks require more voltage , 2d clocks are .1v less

not the case with me. My card is voltmodded and to run my 3d clocks it needs 1.3v at load. 2D voltage is 1.1. If my card ever downclocks (which apparently it really likes doing while playing cod4) I get an instant freeze. I guess what happens is it drops the voltage to 1.1 while my 3d clocks are still in effect, causing a crash. And about rivatuner, I'd prefer to have a permanent fix rather than having to run rivatuner in the background at all times as I would not use it for anything else.

edit: I guess the real problem I have is not so much that the clocks get lowered, but that the voltage gets lowered. From what I understand, if a card downclocks normally during game usage, all that happens is the game goes really slow for a little bit before the clocks ramp up again. But for me, there must be a bug with my card or something, because it seems like the voltage drops randomly while the clocks stay in effect.

I'm thinking that the problem may lie elsewhere, but regardless, I'd like to disable downclocking altogether to at least get that factor out of the equation. I really have no use for it and the extra heat during idle is not a concern. The temps will still remain below the 50's whether its running in 2d or 3d so the point is moot.

i thought you meant powersaving mode was disabled with those drivers. you having no crashes doesn't mean i won't have crashes. what i'm trying to do is disable 2d mode altogether.

how would I go about doing this? If you're referring to setting the default 2d clocks to 3d clocks, that won't help - the voltage will still decrease in 2d mode. I'm pretty sure that changing the voltage table through the bios doesn't actually do anything, but I'll give it a try. I'll set the voltage in the bios for 2d the same as 3d and then measure with a multimeter. I will report back.

how would I go about doing this? If you're referring to setting the default 2d clocks to 3d clocks, that won't help - the voltage will still decrease in 2d mode. I'm pretty sure that changing the voltage table through the bios doesn't actually do anything, but I'll give it a try. I'll set the voltage in the bios for 2d the same as 3d and then measure with a multimeter. I will report back.

I think the voltage does change when you change it through the bios, give a shot its pretty easy

Nibitor 4.9 lets you mod 285/295 bios and flash it with nvflash

alright, update. edited the bios so that both 3d and 2d clocks are the same entry as "extra" - 1.15. success. 2d and 3d voltage stays at 1.25-1.26 like I want. Obviously, running a game or stress test bumps it up to 1.30 like it should. everything good there. So then I edited the bios to keep the same clocks for every mode, flashed it, and then something bizarre. I can't boot into windows. Everything posts and boots fine up until right before the login screen, where it has the little orb animation and startup sound. The whole screen gets white/gray artifacts all over it for about 5-10 secs and comp restarts. Oddly enough, I could boot into safe mode just fine...this makes me think it's a driver issue. My guess is that the driver is conflicting with the bios in some way since the driver is still set to use powersaving mode. Booting into safe mode fine would make sense since the nvidia drivers are not loaded. So although I fixed the voltage issue, I'm back to the same spot overall - how to disable downclocking through the driver?

As I said before, I know for a fact there was a way to do it through the registry - i did it with my old 280. the problem is I cannot find that page anywhere through google. Somebody has got to know either what entries to change, or where to find that guide.

edit: also noticed that my driver set is outdated. 182.08 is the newest and i'm running .06. anyone know whether the new drivers have anything to do with a fix for my situation? seems like digital viper is the only one who's still trying to help.

alright, update. edited the bios so that both 3d and 2d clocks are the same entry as "extra" - 1.15. success. 2d and 3d voltage stays at 1.25-1.26 like I want. Obviously, running a game or stress test bumps it up to 1.30 like it should. everything good there. So then I edited the bios to keep the same clocks for every mode, flashed it, and then something bizarre. I can't boot into windows. Everything posts and boots fine up until right before the login screen, where it has the little orb animation and startup sound. The whole screen gets white/gray artifacts all over it for about 5-10 secs and comp restarts. Oddly enough, I could boot into safe mode just fine...this makes me think it's a driver issue. My guess is that the driver is conflicting with the bios in some way since the driver is still set to use powersaving mode. Booting into safe mode fine would make sense since the nvidia drivers are not loaded. So although I fixed the voltage issue, I'm back to the same spot overall - how to disable downclocking through the driver?

As I said before, I know for a fact there was a way to do it through the registry - i did it with my old 280. the problem is I cannot find that page anywhere through google. Somebody has got to know either what entries to change, or where to find that guide.

edit: also noticed that my driver set is outdated. 182.08 is the newest and i'm running .06. anyone know whether the new drivers have anything to do with a fix for my situation? seems like digital viper is the only one who's still trying to help.

yes, that happened to me when I used a certain bios, not sure what causes it, but try again with the same bios, see if it's the same, if it is try a different base bios image

yes, that happened to me when I used a certain bios, not sure what causes it, but try again with the same bios, see if it's the same, if it is try a different base bios image

you mean a different bios revision? What I have now is an FTW bios, the changes I've made to it are the fanspeed IC thresholds/settings and the voltage adjustments I just made. I may have to try an SSC or vanilla bios, although for whatever reason it seems like the FTW bios produced higher voltages for me when i did my vmod.

on the upside - I just played cod4 for about an hour...totally raped too. My score was like 130 kills 20 deaths by the time I stopped.

you mean a different bios revision? What I have now is an FTW bios, the changes I've made to it are the fanspeed IC thresholds/settings and the voltage adjustments I just made. I may have to try an SSC or vanilla bios, although for whatever reason it seems like the FTW bios produced higher voltages for me when i did my vmod.

on the upside - I just played cod4 for about an hour...totally raped too. My score was like 130 kills 20 deaths by the time I stopped.

now I remember, I modded the fan profile, and it worked, when I played with the clocks and voltages, it messed up :<

yeah so far i've been able to change the voltage entry it uses for 2d/3d, but messing with 2d clocks gives the artifacting problem like I described earlier. Honestly, it's not THAT big an issue...my main concern was keeping the voltage steady. I would like to be able to still fix the problem driver-wise though...if anyone knows the fix through registry/patching, please share.

So what exactly is the problem?

Card drops to 2D clocks midgame? Why can't it be solved with a bios change where you make all the volts in both 2d/3d the same as well as the clocks?

So what exactly is the problem?

Card drops to 2D clocks midgame? Why can't it be solved with a bios change where you make all the volts in both 2d/3d the same as well as the clocks?

changing bios voltage works, but flashing higher 2d/3d clocks results in a non-bootable os.

So is this a driver issue too with the 200 series? Which drivers are affected? Only the 182xx?

Well like I said earlier in the thread, i was able to fix this with my gtx280. I stepped up to the 285 only about a month or so and IIRC I have been on the 182's since then, so I don't have any experience with previous driver versions and this specific card. But from what I gather around forums, downclocking during games/not downclocking during idle states is still a big problem for many people with 200 series cards.

Well like I said earlier in the thread, i was able to fix this with my gtx280. I stepped up to the 285 only about a month or so and IIRC I have been on the 182's since then, so I don't have any experience with previous driver versions and this specific card. But from what I gather around forums, downclocking during games/not downclocking during idle states is still a big problem for many people with 200 series cards.
Alright the only reason why I asked is because I'm getting this card sometime this week. Just want to know which driver to use to avoid any problems related to downclocking. I guess I will find out. Seems like a pretty easy thing for NV to fix, maybe it'd be best if they allow people to control the card's clock manually, let us put it in 2D mode or 3D mode whenever we like.

Alright the only reason why I asked is because I'm getting this card sometime this week. Just want to know which driver to use to avoid any problems related to downclocking. I guess I will find out. Seems like a pretty easy thing for NV to fix, maybe it'd be best if they allow people to control the card's clock manually, let us put it in 2D mode or 3D mode whenever we like.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I have no idea why the user doesn't have the choice of changing downclocking settings through the control panel. How difficult would it be to put in an "on" and "off" radio button in the control panel that just change a few registry entries? it's beyond me.

Back