Rampage II GENE

Just ordered mine today, they're available here in switzerland. Should arrive within two days. Can't wait!

img7296.jpg

img7381n.jpg

img7287.jpg

img7338z.jpg

img7355j.jpg

They were in stock briefly at MotherboardPro this morning. I got one ordered, as well as an i7 920, and 6GB of OCZ Platinum... :D

Wonder if any other mATX X58 mobos will be made.

Good reviews should give clear perception for other companies to produce small boards.

Wonder if any other mATX X58 mobos will be made.

Good reviews should give clear perception for other companies to produce small boards.

DFI makes one.

There are some discussions about this board and the DFI board in the SFF subforum.

Newegg now has a slew of combo deals for this board: mostly memory; some GPU's, and one or two case deals.

Hopefully they'll post a deal similar to the Asus Revolution of a few days back; then I'll bite.

Been looking at it since it showed up; in particular this combo deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.177558

Works out cheaper (with the same memory) than Ewiz's $224.40 price for the board alone- which is a good/great price, but shipping of $14.xx sours it a bit.

Wanted an Asus P6T or a Foxconn Bloodrage due to the provision for mounting 775 HSF's. Have a brand new SpinQ (or my two Tuniq Towers for that matter) that I don't feel like shelving. So those two fit the bill; but wanted a few more bells and whistles than the P6T or the limitation of the 3 mem slots of the Bloodrage- so here the Gene for me at least, covers all those bases plus the dual HSF provision.

Am I losing anything by going mATX???

This board will fit either of my Antec's: 900 or Skeleton, so I'm good in that department.

Seen no real downsides in the few reviews I've seen; frankly this board shines from everything I've seen so far.

Thoughts?

Forget the $224.40 price at Ewiz; they just jacked the price up to $241.00 plus s/h. They did the same thing with the Bloodrage when it finally popped back into stock- $255.00 plus s/h (should have gotten it then... but wasn't clued in to how they price things then)... s/h killed it at $15.xx; then it jumped to $278.00 plus free s/h; then to 309.00 plus s/h. They did this pricing scheme all within a 3 to 5 day period. Crazy way to do business. Generally their shipping is twice that of Newegg. Well so much for rewarding competition- I'll just stick with Newegg.

Jean-Claude, similar situation here. Was really having a hard time deciding on an X58 and was going back and forth on getting the BR or waiting for something better. I wasn't sure about how stable the Foxconn board would be, and to be truthful, I mainly wanted it for its looks and its supposedly good OC'ing ability (memory at least). Then I saw the GENE and said this is for me. If you're just looking for a solid, no-nonsense board with the reliability of ASUS, a good OC'er, and don't need TRI SLI, this looks to be a good buy.

Initially, The RII Extreme appealed to me just as much as the BR, but the $400 price tag made it seem like too much board for me. The R2G has impressed me so much, I've decided to make a small form factor gaming lan build out of it with a smaller case.

Like many in this thread, I've read three reviews and all have nothing but praises on the OC'ing ability of this board (920 @ 4.3GHz). Benches show it at, or JUST a smidgen below (and sometimes ABOVE) ATX boards. This is a beast of a micro ATX board.

What it comes down to in my opinion: You get the ASUS trusted name in reliability, the bells and whistles of a Rampage II Extreme (minus TRI SLI and the X FI hardware sound card), and all at a price at $250, which is on the low end of the X58 board price echelon. I say anyone who is on the fence, go for it (unless you're torn because you're considering the DFI Lan Party Jr, which also seems to be a solid performer and at the same level of this board).

Maximus II Gene: doesn't even show up on Asus' US site; saw one listing for it in New Zealand for $881.49. Wonder what the conversion rate is? Looks to have been a limited release.

Smoothmove: did you get one of the combo's at Newegg? Let us know when you get it. Waiting for my new camera to come off backorder~get shipped, then I'll do one of these... hopefully next week. Of course, with my luck, the Bloodrage GTI will finally show up, and I'll be stuck trying to make a decision once again.

Found another review from a Swiss site (yes, it's in English); format is a bit different from what we see on this side of the pond, but what is interesting is that the comparisons are with the Asus Rampage II Extreme, and the DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 (the only other extant 1366 mATX board)- and the new kid bests those other two in almost every comparison, and in a few cases it runs away from the field, otherwise it's neck and neck. For $150.00 less I'll take this over the Extreme hands down. More I look at this beast, the more I love it.

Frankly it looks like the only thing that this board doesn't have: is the Asus ExpressGate. But all the other goodies more than make up for it. I feel like I just became a 'Fanboy'... oh well. :p

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=266&sel_lang=english

I'm strongly considering using this for my new build...can get it with OCZ 6x2gb DDR3 1600 for like $325 at newegg right now which seems like a good price.

Is there are [H] review in the pipes for the x58 GENE board by any chance?

The Maximus II Gene hasn't been released yet, was just announced @ Cebit this year. I was hoping for a mAXT X48 board other then Shuttle, but it's just P45 :(

Linky.

Got it and set it up. Intel I7 920 with 6 gigs OCZ DDR3-1600, Two OCZ Vertex SSD 30gig in RAID 0.

First impressions are that it is perfect- if you don't need TRI-SLI. Would be just as nice if it were Legecy Free. The Northbridge/Southbridge temps read high- 70c when the CPU is reading 55c with stock Intel cooler at stock speed. When you touch the NB- it doesn't feel that hot- maybe 50c. I also tried to operate it with passive cooling, but the NB became very hot- too hot to touch.

The board would not turn on at first. The RAM needs to be in the blue slots if you only have 3 sticks. It has several LED's on board- which are green. They look similar to Alienware/Dell XPS lights on board- I am wondering if they can be color changed by the user

I don't have any complaints about it.

I have not tried to OC it yet (Blasphomy, I know).

smoothmove,have you tried two video cards in it to see how they fit? Wonder how 2 GTX 260's would do?

So my board finally came in, love the size looks great in my Antec Mini P180! I am having an issue with the JMicron controller tho, I can't seem to get it to detect my eSATA drive as removable. I changed the type to AHCI in the bios because I read that might enable it but Vista x64 says the device can not start. I tried getting the latest driver from JMicron but got a BSOD.

Anyone been able to get removalable sata devices working?

I only have one video card, BUT both PIC-E slots are double wide and would easily fit large coolers. I have an ATI 4870 which takes two slots and it fits with room easily for a second video card.

When OCing, the temps shoot up FAST. I will probably leave it @ stock speed.

Using the Scythe cooler which works well for it. Fanless is working out well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185064

So my board finally came in, love the size looks great in my Antec Mini P180! I am having an issue with the JMicron controller tho, I can't seem to get it to detect my eSATA drive as removable. I changed the type to AHCI in the bios because I read that might enable it but Vista x64 says the device can not start. I tried getting the latest driver from JMicron but got a BSOD.

Anyone been able to get removalable sata devices working?

I take it you changed to AHCI after install? If so, you need to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us

Can the GPU be put in either x16 slot, or is there some priority there? I imagine I can put my vid card in the bottom x16, leaving me the top two slots for use with two x1 cards... right?

I got mine on friday, so far it's pretty awesome, build was really cramped in my SG01, but it works :)
Next up, water :D

Great looking board, and initial impressions seem to be excellent, but seriously, who named this thing? ASUS's marketing department leaves a lot to be desired.

Just ordered 2-Apr-09 Shipped this Morn..Will report back with

Info when arrives and put together.. I'm excited....:)

Back