BenQ AMA _zing technology

dymy

n00b
basing on E2200HD model and two forum.purepc.pl users experiences i was wondering..
is BenQ technology AMA really amazing?

on BenQ.com you can find information like that:
AMA (Advanced Motion Accelerator) Provides the Ultimate Visual Entertainment.
AMA gives you true-to-life images with enhanced picture quality and reduced visual noise with only 2ms GTG (Grey to Grey) response time so there’s no delayed response to image deliverance.

more about AMA here http://www.benq.com.my/products/LCD/?product=839

Is it true? Let's see..

when AMA is set to ON in OSD and you are moving mouse cursor over bright-gray (and some others colors) you can see a moving shadow behind. but its not typical ghosting because the shadow is sharp one colour copy of moving object (mostly brighter). especially it's visible in others then Standard display mode (sRGB, Photo, Dynamics, Movie).
if you disable AMA in OSD everything is ok - ghosting looks like in others monitors.
also if you ON AMA in monitor and change resolution for a while and back to previous - AMA is not working (because this shadow efect disappears) but in OSD is still ON. if you wanna AMA working back you have to try changing display mode or even off and on monitor again - worth of RMA i think.
i made some photos so you can see how it looks:
index.php

and some short time pics when you slide screen up and down at http://cyberfoto.pl (good background color to test it):

index.php

index.php

index.php

strange is that monitor was tested by pro users like here http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3449&p=1

and i couldn't find any info about this defect.

what you think? AMAzing or not?

it's just another over-drive tecnology

If you want quality motion, get a IPS based panel and dump the TN

Looks like a typical RTA defect. (RTA= Response Time Acceleration)
RTA's are known for shadowing like this.
When RTA is pushed to limits for better benchmarks, side effects like these start to happen. As a result, some people prefer a well-tuned 5ms monitor over over-tuned 2ms monitors.

An over-tuned response time accelerator can leave dark-ghosting behind moving bright objects on medium-brightness backgrounds. Sounds like there's too much 'bounce' in this monitors' RTA at least for some colors. RTA's need to be tuned so that ghosting is reduced without introducing this type of shadowing artifact.

It would be ideal to have a slider that adjusts RTA intensity; to allow the monitor to have a an adjustable response between 2ms and 5ms, so people can find the sweet spot of minimized ghosting. RTA logic can be fine-tuned so that some color values change faster than others, so that shadowing is eliminated for that panel. Unfortunately panel differences (one panel tending to respond slightly faster than the next -- manufacturing isn't 100% perfect and different panels come from different assembly lines which may have response time differences -- even a tiny fraction of a single ms), throwing off the RTA tuning that's done in the factory, and introducing shadowing on one monitor when the same model of the same monitor doesn't show such artifact.

Defect? It's typically not classed as a defect even though sometimes RTA shadowing vary slightly from display to display.

Some different technologies such as IPS are better, though...

guys i know differences between types of panels ;)

but this overtuned shadow was advertised as better quality function when really it's usless.

selfswiching of AMA for me looks like defect.

hmm :)
imho important info for users plannig to buy some AMAzing Benq

I think no better or worse than many RTC mechanisms. Shut it off and enjoy the screen.

If you are going to complain about something I would think it would be the horrible static dithering on the grey fun boxes on lagom.nl which I generally found to be the more obvious issue. Of how 'bout the hard set sharpness on sRGB mode which makes black text show white halos when on a grey background?

Anandtech's reviewer also liked the E2200HD better than the E2400HD. I would reverse the rating for several reasons. The only thing the E2200HD has going for it in comparison is the ability to turn off AMA, where with the E2400HD it is hard set, but it is still a better monitor (by far) overall.

yea
hard set sharpness in other then standard mode is also a problem
one thing i liked is small pixel size - great sharpness and subpixeles arent so annoying ;)

so if You wanna test AMA in your BenQ monitor or other mark RTA there's good site to do it. colors of background and text are great to do that:

http://www.cyberfoto.pl/szkola-foto...line/51425_2-portret-mini-poradnik-v1-2-a.htm
or any other topic on this photo forum where you can slide screen down and up.

you should see something like that (or better not):

index.php

index.php

index.php

please report if some others models like E2400HD, G2400W, FP241W and the others brands have the same problem :rolleyes:

I heard complaints about it, but my benq g2400wd RTA doesn't artifact at all. I turned it on once for a game, planning to turn it off again, and just never did because I didn't notice any glitches.

Maybe if I busted out a magnifying glass or something, but it looks perfect to me. Noticeably faster response in games with it on, tho they are perfectly playable with overdrive off too.

did you test it on site i suggested? just slide up and down this site and watch letters for bright ghoasting. try it on all modes especially more dynamic like Photo or Film.

I'm not sure what the whole fuss about AMA technology is about?

All AMA is is bassically giving greater voltage for liquid crystals in the LCD monitor to improve GTG response time and picture quality and to reach tart brightness earlier than the original. Think of AMA technology as a super charger in a car! The super charger accelerates your RPM climb, so you have a faster acceleration time overall.

So in lamen terms, lets say without AMA you're processing GTG at 5 ms, but when on you're processing at 2 ms (GTG).

@10e: which monitor did you refer to as being better? E2200HD or E2400HD?

the whole fuss about AMA technology is about that nobody was saying how great is looking when for exp. white shadows are moving behind objects on grey background like gosting in 15ms panels. as you can see the problem is not only on grey bkg.
if you are looking for information about that the only thing you probably could find is that this technology improve video quality:
AMA gives you true-to-life images with enhanced picture quality and reduced visual noise with only 2ms GTG or no more ghosting and bluring.
so i'm sure it's important info for many and it's strange why in all reviews i couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Back