I really need help guys... ATIKMDAG.SYS (blue screen)

Mickelonis

Limp Gawd
Ok so here's the scoop.... I started getting bluescreens a couple weeks ago referencing atikmdag.sys

Tonight I decided to fix this. Here's what I did...

1. Complete reformat, install Vista from CD....
2. Install al critical updates via windowsupdate.
3. Install chipset driver from intel.com
4. Install catalyst 9.3 from ati.com
5. Reboot, and I get the same exact blue screen....

Situation #2

1. Complete reformat, install Vista from CD....
2. Did NOT install any updates at all via windowsupdate.
3. Did NOT instal chipset driver from intel.com
4. Installed catalyst 9.3 from ati.com
5. Reboot, and I get the same exact blue screen.... (damnit)

What the hell is going on here?

I've reformatted like ten times so I have a fresh start each time... I've tried instaling 9.2 instad of 9.3.... No love... Same issue.

I have a feeling it's not the video cards because a simple google search shows massive history of ATI and these atkmdag.sys blue screen problems...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I'm writing this post from my laptop because my desktop PC is a paperweight atm...

Here's my system specs:

DX38BT Intel Board
Quad Core Extreme 6850
2GB Crucial Ballistix PC1600 Memory
Velociraptor X2 RAID0
Antec Signature Series 850Watt Power Supply
ATI 4850's in Crossfire (two cards)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

A few things I'd try after running into atikmdag issues lately myself, try connecting to only one monitor, and make sure it's hdmi.

The other thing you can try is updating to the vista sp2 rc update. It seems to have solved atikmdag issues for some people and the nvidia equivalent error.

Might be helpful to get more details of the error in event viewer.

I had a thread awhile ago regarding the ATIKMDAG.sys error. I would never while using the computer. The BSOD would only occur in the period between the disappearance of the windows loading bar and the appearance of the "welcome" screen. I switched to the vista 7 beta and it occurs far less frequently. Maybe once a month if that...it hasnt happened at all since I installed latest drivers a few days ago.

My motherboard still stalls at POST with an "error invoking video bios" error but i wouldnt be surprised if that was somehow related to the ATIKMDAG.sys problem many people are experiencing.

^That makes no sense whatsoever, The atikmdiag.sys error is a driver error usually attributed to either dual monitors or aero or both. The driver isnt loaded at the BIOS, if you get an error invoking your video bios then you have a genuine problem with your card.

To the OP. Disable aero or use 1 monitor and I bet your errors will go away. Sucks, but the onus is on ATI and NVIDIA to sort it out already...its been effing years already..

lol blast from the past... Just started playing Dunegon Siege III... Load into game and this .sys crashes to blue screen on my 6950. All other games are fine.

Back