Align Intel X-25M SSD

notsane

Gawd
Does anyone know the optimum alignment for these drives? I have it at 64 sectors using diskpar at the moment, wondering if it should have been 64 bytes (I was looking at information about diskpart and that uses bytes as units, not sectors).

I am just going to say it, dumb question. What is the relationship between bytes and sectors as it pertains to SSDs?

I was always using diskpar to do the alignment at 128 sectors until last night when I used a vista install CD instead.

To be honest, aligning the X25-M doesn't really matter because its raw performance is just so high. You'll only see incremental improvements with alignment.

However, I believe the ideal alignment would be either 64K or 128K offset. This would be achieved by using "create partition primary align=64" (or align=128) in diskpart.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that 128K=256 sectors. So if you're aligning to 128 sectors, that would equate to 64K, and you should be fine. Enjoy your speed demon SSD :)

To be honest, aligning the X25-M doesn't really matter because its raw performance is just so high. You'll only see incremental improvements with alignment.

However, I believe the ideal alignment would be either 64K or 128K offset. This would be achieved by using "create partition primary align=64" (or align=128) in diskpart.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that 128K=256 sectors. So if you're aligning to 128 sectors, that would equate to 64K, and you should be fine. Enjoy your speed demon SSD :)

Thanks!

I bet it doesn't make much difference and I am not really into re-installing my PC. Since I used diskpar to align 64 sectors (instead of my normal 128), I suppose it is wrong.

This is a fantastic SSD...I've got a couple and they totally rock...slim, silent and cool.

I like it so far! I honestly can't tell any difference between this and Vertex in actual use.. Kind of funny.

Back