Breathing New Life into My Wife's PC

notsane

Gawd
This was our first SLI computer. It has gone through quite a few changes. Started out with two 8800gts 320MB,
then briefy 8800 GTX (returned),
then two 8800GT,
then GTX 260 core 216,
now (stepup to) GTX295

Evga 680i LT Motherboard, Core 2 Duo e6600 CPU, 2GB Corsair DDR2 800, Raptor X 150.

I also added a 60GB OCZ Vertex and that has to be the biggest differnece.

My wife rocks!

PICT0064.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

what games does she play, that is a nice looking rig there is that power supply Orange or Red?

Wow nice and clean wiring. Can't get that done if my life depended on it in my case.

Is that an Antec case there, looks like you spent some time cleaning up the wires.

That Antec tri cool fan needs to be replaced though those things are so loud set on anything but low.

I just replaced my 8800 Gt with the new 260 216 55 Nm what a great card, i cant believe how light it is compared to the older G80 series cards.

what games does she play, that is a nice looking rig there is that power supply Orange or Red?
She likes Team Fortress 2 (rips it up as a medic, usually getting first or second, but plays other classes too). We also like Neverwinter Nights 2. I got an extra copy of Farcry2, we will see if she likes that.

That is an orange/copper PC Power and Cooling Silencer Quad 750.

Wow nice and clean wiring. Can't get that done if my life depended on it in my case.
Ya that antec p180 revision 2 with the raised motherboard tray is the niceset thing since zip ties. I really like making things look nice inside the case, though I am not sure what to do with that vertex 2.5" SSD. I bought an enclosure that goes into the floppy tray and I suppose I will use that eventually. Don't want to run the wires down there really..

Is that an Antec case there, looks like you spent some time cleaning up the wires.

That Antec tri cool fan needs to be replaced though those things are so loud set on anything but low.

I just replaced my 8800 Gt with the new 260 216 55 Nm what a great card, I cant believe how light it is compared to the older G80 series cards.
Yes, P180 revision 2. Love it, this is my first of 3. Here are pics of my latest build (before stepup to gtx285 and adding a second card):
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1386696

I really liked the GTX260 Core 216, I think it outperformed two 8800GTs in SLI. We ended up selling the two 8800GTs (we had modded them with akimbo coolers) and buying the GTX260 core 216 for not much more than we sold the other cards for. The only reason we upgraded to the 295 is that the stepup was about to expire and I like to use the stepup whenever possible. We also plan on getting a bigger monitor for that PC since the 20" dell LCD is about 5 years old now and may need a little more horsepower down the road. I don't like to mess with her PC all the time re-installing and removing parts. Last time we re-installed, it was almost 2 years ago (wow XP is stable).

What kind of fans do you suggest replacing the tri-cool with? All of the fans in that case are pretty old (almost 2 years)

I was looking at that case too, very nice. Ended up getting one of the few last Rocketfish cases available at a price that could not be passed up (- $50).

Wish i got here sooner im selling my 2-8800 GTS 320s right now and moving my 8800 GT to my P6N board and picking up one more to SLI the 8800 GT's

As for the fans depends what you want to spend, i would pick up some of the medium or slow Yate Loons from petra's if you are on a budget they sell 4 of them for like $20 if i recall.

If money is no option the Scythe S-flex fans are good or low speed San aces work well without too much noise.

Here is one of my systems, nothing too fancy though just some cooling mods.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/jasonstr/22034.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/jasonstr/22035.jpg

Thanks for the info Jason!

That is a nice build, very clean!

Adding a second 8800GT SLI is a big upgrade and you will enjoy that to be sure!

I'm not sure how the P180 is constructed, but why not the slot at the bottom of the upper chamber to mount the SSD?

Now to use the GTX 295 to get the most potential out of Aim and MS Hearts.:D Oh I keed

Back