Quite Hot: Phenom II 920 for $134 shipped

ManCannon

2[H]4U
There's already a thread about this deal but Newegg has just dropped the price by another $30 and the former $30 coupon code is still active, so I figured I'd give this a little more exposure because I imagine there are some people who, like myself, would bite at $134 and not $164.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103472

Coupon Code: AMD32530

Get it while it's hot folks, this is a ridiculously good deal for a very nice quad core.

How well can this overclock compares to Black Edition?

Not nearly as well, unless you have a good sample of a new motherboard.

Without overclocking the power consumption can be somewhat competitive with similar performance Intel models. The Black Edition however is much worse in performance/watt but MUCH better in terms of raw performance.

Bottom line, you should only get a 920 if you care about something like power consumption. If you want to OC, definitely get the Black Edition.

Nice price......if only I had a board to put it in..might have to give AMD a try here soon....need to build another system for playing around with...

Not nearly as well, unless you have a good sample of a new motherboard.

Without overclocking the power consumption can be somewhat competitive with similar performance Intel models. The Black Edition however is much worse in performance/watt but MUCH better in terms of raw performance.

Bottom line, you should only get a 920 if you care about something like power consumption. If you want to OC, definitely get the Black Edition.

The 940 is faster but with this deal you are get the four core with full cache for the price of a 710 tri core

The 940 is faster but with this deal you are get the four core with full cache for the price of a 710 tri core

Yeah but the 920 can overclock to like...5 to 10% faster than the 940 at stock, if you're lucky, whereas the 940 can get 25% faster, easy.l

Yeah but the 920 can overclock to like...5 to 10% faster than the 940 at stock, if you're lucky, whereas the 940 can get 25% faster, easy.l

This is a good $80 cheaper than a 940 by Newegg's current prices though, so you get what you pay for.

There's no guarantees with overclocking and it's really up to each person whether an unlocked multiplier and 200 mhz is worth an extra $80.

For me, I'd rather get the 920 at $134 because it's just a really good deal, I doubt I'll be doing much OC'ing with my board anyway, and every dollar counts.

I don't know about that,

PhenomIIat405ghzWorldrecord.jpg

Zif33rs@RHCF

Man... wish this deal had been around when I got my 720! That's a crazy price. This is partially motivated by the fact that my 720 doesn't seem to want to overclock much.

If you already have an Intel board and really want to upgrade, your probably better off with one of the chips on sale at Dell.

If you're looking to build a completely new system and choosing between the Q6600 and this it'd really depend on the board you were looking at buying. The AMD board will likely be a bit cheaper. The 940 hasn't been too much more then the Q6600 though and that would be an even better choice if you're going to OC.

Why do you do this to me newegg!?!?! They must know im still using a shitty pentium D. Shunnnnnn

The 940 is a far easier chip to overclock for beginners for you can adjust the multiplier and the bus speed. The 920 can overclock very well (as the image above suggests) but it takes more skill, and more luck of the draw some chips are great some are not. You should be able to easily to overclock your 920 to at least 3.4 ghz even if your chip is a dud, and 3.6, 3.8 or even 4.0 ghz if your chip is great.

What is the performance of this CPU compared to a Q6600?
Clock for clock the q6600 is less than 5% faster for the same ghz speed. In some tests the q6600 is faster, and some the PHII is faster for chips of the same ghz. Now the PHIIs are good overclockers just like most of the q6600s. Overall the chips are almost identical in speed. The PHII is cooler and takes less power though due to 45 vs 65nm

The thing is this PHII is $134 vs $181-270 for the q6600 (according to google shopping). Comparable AMD Motherboards are the same price if not cheaper than the similar intel ones, and the AM2+ socket is probably going to last longer (not that this matters in my mind.)

Similar chip to the q6600, but 50 dollars cheaper. And remember the q6600 was much more expensive when it first retailed.

I don't know how reliable arstechnica is as I don't really follow all these benchmarking sites, but I was reading these benchmarks here:

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/reviews/2009/02/phenom-ii-scaling.ars/6

And it seems the Phenom II's are excellent gaming CPU's.

Is that really the case?

I actually googled a bit and found another site that I can't find the link to at the moment that confirmed the Call of Duty 4 results which were very impressive for the Phenom's.

I noticed HardOCP's benchmarks were not favorable at all towards the Phenom II's, whereas the three other sites I looked at all had them performing exceptionally well in gaming tests, even beating out the Core i7's at times. They got walloped in most other tasks, but for gaming they did great, which is what I'm mostly concerned with.

Anandtech is one of the best review sites there is for computer hardware their is (some say the best, but I find HardOCP awesome especially for the power supplies.)

They recently did additional testing of the X4s vs the X3s and Core 2 Quad vs I7. See here

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3533&p=9#comments

Note you are getting similar results with FarCry 2 that you got here on HardOCP (though why HardOCP limited the AMD to 2 gigs of ram, the Core2Quad to 4, and the I7 to 6 is beyond me). But in every other game the AMD is comparable to the other systems. And in Farcry 2 the game is still very playable, and Anandtech points out how this is the game that favors intel the most out of pretty much everything out their.

Furthermore when HardOCP reviewed the Phenoms IIs 3 months ago they were much more expensive then. For example the 920s were $235 when HardOCP reviewed it, now with this deal you can get the chip for $134. That is a $101 dollar price drop.

Competition is good for us the consumers even if it is bad for the margins for amd/intel.

Do you know of any reputable sites that have benches for GTA IV with the Phenom II 920 or 940? That's the game I'm most interested in seeing as it simply would not run on my X2 5000+.

not for GTA IV. Good luck finding a good review/benchmark.

Now GTA IV to my understanding is one of the games where you want a tri core or quad core, and it is almost impossible to play it with a good dual core without getting the chip to 4 ghz or so. This is because it was very badly done port of the Xbox 360 version, which is using a 3 core powerpc cpu (3 cores, and each core can do the power pc version of hyperthreading but it is an inorder cpu instead of an out of order cpu like the recent intel/amd duals/tris/quads.)

From what I read get a tri or a quad core and the game runs fine... at least for a badly done port.

anybody know how this will compare to a phenom 5000+ @ 3.1ghz+gigabyte ga-ma770-ds3? i plan on OCing.

not for GTA IV. Good luck finding a good review/benchmark.

Now GTA IV to my understanding is one of the games where you want a tri core or quad core, and it is almost impossible to play it with a good dual core without getting the chip to 4 ghz or so. This is because it was very badly done port of the Xbox 360 version, which is using a 3 core powerpc cpu (3 cores, and each core can do the power pc version of hyperthreading but it is an inorder cpu instead of an out of order cpu like the recent intel/amd duals/tris/quads.)

From what I read get a tri or a quad core and the game runs fine... at least for a badly done port.

My dual core runs GTA IV just fine at 3.5ghz and full graphics settings. I get the occasional frame rate drop, but it mostly goes smoothly.

And the CPU for $287 shipped. Freaking $25 tax kills me. I hate paying tax online. Newegg screwed me by putting a warehouse in TN. :mad: I spend 90% of my money at ZZF just because of that now.

I love living in Maine because I'm sure no one will ever put a warehouse here :p.

Took me a day thinking about it to finally push the button.

Ordered a x4 920, DFI 790GX, freezer pro, and a 22x lite on.

Will be upgrading from a socket 939 x2 4600.

Thanks op.

Took me a day thinking about it to finally push the button.

Ordered a x4 920, DFI 790GX, freezer pro, and a 22x lite on.

Will be upgrading from a socket 939 x2 4600.

Thanks op.

Prepare to jizz in your pants when you experience difference.

I don't know about that,
--image of 920 overclocked to 4GHz--
Zif33rs@RHCF

Like I said, unless you have a good sample of the right motherboard. That's a 790GX, and there are about a million other motherboards someone could possibly drop a 920 into.

Decided to do my new build around this. Couldn't beat it for the money. I am a little anxious though, what with everyone going after the 720 and 940 BE's. I'm hoping the 920 proves to be as capable when it comes to OCing.

Chops..I honestly think you will be satisfied ;)

I like the price to put together a nice OCing pc on a budget !

Yeah, it's definitely a nice little CPU even at stock.

I threw it in, changing nothing else, and GTA IV went from an unplayable mess (literally couldn't mantain 20 fps at the lowest settings) to a very fun and quite nice looking game.

Back