Who is shipping core i7 D0's?

Fafeifa

Gawd
Anybody know which dealer is currently shipping core i7 D0 stepping? i know that tankguys have them, but they went oos, just wondering if some dealer are shipping those but not listing them.
How about newegg are they still currently shipping C0s? Latest batch i've seen was 3844a may be it'll be soon :confused:

Tankguys said they're working on getting another shipment in but there's no ETA.

it is exactly the same cpu. the only change is the re-orientation of the serial number, and the cpuid. no hardware or firmware changes, at all. doesnt overclock better, or use less voltage, or have lower vid, or run cooler, etc, etc.

I don't work for Intel so I don't know for sure of what's changed and what hasn't, but the few people who own and have posted results with their retail D0s have shown it to be a very good stepping. Whether it's just coincidence due to their specific batch or just a good wafer the chip came off of, who knows. All I know is that the few D0 owners that has tested their chip thus far (not many obviously) and shared their results have shown it to be a better overclocker, generally speaking, than the C0 stepping due to the lower core voltage required to push it.

For reference:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100577171&mpage=1&key=�
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100578697&mpage=1&key=�
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=601632

I'm sure there will be a few bad D0s as well. Undoubtedly, it's still premature to say that the D0 is superior to the C0 at the moment until we get more results and see a more overall consistency. But from what I've read and what past experience has shown, it's looking to be this way. Just my two cents.

I hear Intel Core i7 D0 from Tank Guys, worth every cent. :eek:

It hasn't been proven yet. Most of the chips that were seen were ES chips. According to Intel, the change from C0 to D0 is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the physical properties of the CPU. We'll have to see how the retail chips perform before making any conclusions.

it is exactly the same cpu. the only change is the re-orientation of the serial number, and the cpuid. no hardware or firmware changes, at all. doesnt overclock better, or use less voltage, or have lower vid, or run cooler, etc, etc.

I personally haven't had this much fun overclocking a CPU since the Operton 148. Default voltage for my C0 is ~1.26, my D0 is ~1.0. I can boot at 4.3GHz with 1.2. Linpack / OCCT at 1.21 - 4.2GHz. I have yet to break 70c during any stress testing. It takes very little QPI to run ram at insane speeds and timings. Maybe just the three of us got golden CPU's, but I'm pretty sure we're going to keep seeing more D0's like these.

I personally haven't had this much fun overclocking a CPU since the Operton 148. Default voltage for my C0 is ~1.26, my D0 is ~1.0. I can boot at 4.3GHz with 1.2. Linpack / OCCT at 1.21 - 4.2GHz. I have yet to break 70c during any stress testing. It takes very little QPI to run ram at insane speeds and timings. Maybe just the three of us got golden CPU's, but I'm pretty sure we're going to keep seeing more D0's like these.

Agreed. All the people who say D0 is purely cosmetic need to open their eyes to these new results.

Aren't the new 950s and 975s going to be D0? I'd consider the creation of 2 new models as a pretty signification change from C0 to D0.

Agreed. All the people who say D0 is purely cosmetic need to open their eyes to these new results.

Then Intel must have changed something in the manufacturing process, because according to their own press releases they said that the changes were purely cosmetic. Wait until the E0s hit shelves...

Aren't the new 950s and 975s going to be D0? I'd consider the creation of 2 new models as a pretty signification change from C0 to D0.

Yes the 975 just broke the WC of 3dmark, that just proved that the D0 performed better than the C0s

Then Intel must have changed something in the manufacturing process, because according to their own press releases they said that the changes were purely cosmetic. Wait until the E0s hit shelves...

There won't be any E0s, up next is the 32nm die shrink. And the D0 chips do have some physical differences, Intel just didn't note them in their press release.

There won't be any E0s, up next is the 32nm die shrink. And the D0 chips do have some physical differences, Intel just didn't note them in their press release.

Care to share those physical differences for the masses? Why didn't Intel note them in their press releases?

lool why are dumbasses arguing???? maybe because they bought i920's already? and everyone that bought a D0 and posted is doing 4.0-4.2 at between 1.2.-1.25v LMFAO

lool why are dumbasses arguing???? maybe because they bought i920's already? and everyone that bought a D0 and posted is doing 4.0-4.2 at between 1.2.-1.25v LMFAO

And...? They score 100 more points in benchmarks? :D

Care to share those physical differences for the masses? Why didn't Intel note them in their press releases?

I personally don't know what they are, I only care about the fact that whatever they are is allowing better overclocks on average ;)

For those of you who have your panties in a bunch over this, good luck. Now back to what the OP initially asked, where can we get one of these chips?

Yeah but it would still be sweet to get a chip priced at i920 levels that can hit 4.0GHz easily. i950 and i975 would be priced in the $500-$1000+ range.

I guess it may be worth it to some to get the i950 for the higher multi. :confused:

It hasn't been proven yet. Most of the chips that were seen were ES chips. According to Intel, the change from C0 to D0 is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the physical properties of the CPU. We'll have to see how the retail chips perform before making any conclusions.

Well said.

Yeah but it would still be sweet to get a chip priced at i920 levels that can hit 4.0GHz easily. i950 and i975 would be priced in the $500-$1000+ range.

I guess it may be worth it to some to get the i950 for the higher multi. :confused:

ok, so from what I understand:

overclocked:
920 = 4GHz
950 = ???GHz
975 = ???GHz

what do you expect the last two chips to be overclocked (average, nothing TOO hardcore) ;)

ok, so from what I understand:

overclocked:
920 = 4GHz
950 = ???GHz
975 = ???GHz

what do you expect the last two chips to be overclocked (average, nothing TOO hardcore) ;)

Probably between 4.2 and 4.5 depending on cooling and luck. If the 950/975 did more than 4.5 than HOLY CRAP!

Tank Guys just updated their ETA for i7's

ETA Update: We expect inventory around April 14th. This is not guaranteed, but is the best and latest information we have from Intel.

Tank Guys just updated their ETA for i7's

I'd go with W3520, paying premium just for a stepping is out of my books. Besides they are taking advantage of the situation by instant charging your C/C if you want to preorder one without a definite date of shipping and $5 penalty for cancelation, more of a group buy to me, personally i don't deal with a retailer that does such a thing. They also charged the first D0 preorders "accidentally" ahead of time but i guess they are showing now what they truly are.
4600superpi.jpg

I just took delivery on an i7 from ewiz, d0 stepping, batch 3845B027. So they have them in stock for sure.

I just took delivery on an i7 from ewiz, d0 stepping, batch 3845B027. So they have them in stock for sure.

You got very lucky. It doesn't mean though that everyone else will get D0s, Ewiz is prolly still have a mixed stock of C0s and D0s and ship them out randomly.

That is good news, that new batches are showing up, so far all the fuzz has lasted 2 weeks, i'll be waiting for a W3520 results before making any decision.

I checked a few days back and all Micro Center have are C0s, nothing about D0s yet. They still have plenty of C0s left so I don't think they will have D0 anytime soon.

Last edited:
I am still fiddling with it as I have only had it for two days, but so far it OCs much better than my C0 did. Running 4ghz @ 1.25v. Runs at 4.2ghz @ 1.2875v, but is not Prime stable. Until I improve my cooling situation I am not going to push it any further.

Back