Chimp Challenge 2009 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
I'm making this new thread because we are now one month from the start of the next Chimp Challenge. I have copied the contests from the old thread since all those informations is still relevant. Only the participating teams is still subject to change and we will know about that soon.

How the contest work :

On may 5th (cinco de mayo) at 12:00, the Chimp Challenge will officially start with each team folding under a single name. The official [H]orde name will be [H]ardApe and each team will still fold for their own team. The goal of the challenge is to reach the 20 millions milestone in the shortest time before others do.

The winning team will get the coveted jaded monkey and the loser will get a cursed and dreaded monkey paw. There is no monetary gain for winning, only the honor to be the best (or the worst :p) and ultimately, it's for a good cause toward the science progress on understanding proteins folding.

The official 2009 rules can be found at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1412668 thanks to bigtoyota479 wich is our official Chimp Challenge guy.

Basically, here's the steps you need to participate in the challenge :
-Around may 5th at 12:00 PM PST (noon), switch the boxens to fold under [H]ardApe and team 33.
-Sit around, toss some monkey poo at other teams.
-Borg more (remember, the answer is always "D").
-Profit :D
-Switch back to your usual routine when the challenge end.

Here's the team folding tag :

Passkey :
Hello [H]ardApe:

Your Folding@Home Client passkey is:
e109628a7f920fea706561b4ceb1b6d7

Your username is:
[H]ardApe

Please use this to activate your client.
Thankyou,
Folding@Home Team

Here's the stats page to keep trace of the challenge (thank you to seadave for doing that as usual) : http://clintdavis.us/chimp_challenge_2009
This post will get updated regularly with new informations about the challenge.

Last edited:
Are we going to need a passkey this year? I don't remember needing one last year.

Looking forward to this year. I will even stop WCG production during the chimp challenge and fire up 10 SMP clients to add to the 50K PpD I already have :D

If the folding gods are with me and I get a good consulting contract, I will add another i7 and 2xGTX295 by that time as well.

A passkey is not required so far, but it's good form and can help avoid TeamFTL like situations in the future.

Here comes the Chimp Challenge just when I was FINALLY about to pass the mighty [H]ardApe! :eek::)

How about a quick guide for changing the various folding applications over to [H]ardApe?

Seems like last year we got off to a slow start.

Here comes the Chimp Challenge just when I was FINALLY about to pass the mighty [H]ardApe! :eek::)

How about a quick guide for changing the various folding applications over to [H]ardApe?

You know the old sayin' "payback is a mofro" brother Celerator :rolleyes: I've got a feeling the [H]ardApe is gonna' blitz 'em to the max this year :D

I second that brother Xilikon, would you please post an abridged simple way of how to switch over to [H]ardApe Please make it simple because some us are not computer gurus ;) Unfortunately I learned too late last year and didn't get to give it my full resources (not that I think my small folding garden would've made any difference, but I'm under the impression "every little bit helps" :p

Folding for the CURE

Yes, give me this week to do something about explaining how to change names. We really need to prepare well this year and we must start too early to have a chance ;)

It won't be this year unless there is insufficient exposure, and the traffic in this subforum is still running a bit slow. I think we should have some FPP no later than half a week in advance of the CC.

It won't be this year unless there is insufficient exposure, and the traffic in this subforum is still running a bit slow. I think we should have some FPP no later than half a week in advance of the CC.

Totally agree here. We need to be able to jump in front first and foremost. Coming from behind will be difficult at best.

I'm thinking you guys should transfer over all of your boxes a week leading up to this, since they just count it starting 12:00am May 5th, all of your points leading into it won't count but it'll make sure your boxes are ready to go for when the competition starts.

Don't want to just start switching over on may 5th, by then you guys are already getting dusted!

I'm thinking you guys should transfer over all of your boxes a week leading up to this, since they just count it starting 12:00am May 5th, all of your points leading into it won't count but it'll make sure your boxes are ready to go for when the competition starts.

Don't want to just start switching over on may 5th, by then you guys are already getting dusted!

Thats a good point, but I think a week is a bit long. I went with 2 days before last year and everything was fine.

Sweet great advice. I was actually going to ask this question... Did someone PM Atlas about switchin his massive boxen:D...Can we get a sticky for the next month?

one month to go eh??
i´ll be ready :cool:

Sweet great advice. I was actually going to ask this question... Did someone PM Atlas about switchin his massive boxen:D...Can we get a sticky for the next month?

Yea, a few hints were dropped at him. :D

ill probably be running my 8800GT and phenom II 940 with 2 smp clients if i can figure out how to get the smp client working.. :p

ill probably be running my 8800GT and phenom II 940 with 2 smp clients if i can figure out how to get the smp client working.. :p

If you need help with SMP, let me know. I just did it on my rig and I have it working fine now.

Question though. Why noon pst on a day that people are at work? I don't have the means to switch over unless its at 6am or 6pm that day.

If you need help with SMP, let me know. I just did it on my rig and I have it working fine now.

Question though. Why noon pst on a day that people are at work? I don't have the means to switch over unless its at 6am or 6pm that day.

we are going to switch over like a day or 2 before. See previous posts:) or at least I will be. I will be at work as well so I will probably get everything switched the day before...

No shit. lol sucks i missed that post (or 3). nevermind then. Will change over the night before.

I guess I'll need to setup my linux VMs again. Hopefully they don't have the hang at 100% problem that I was experiencing earlier because it's a pain to check them all every few hours. Perhaps a new video card is in order as well since I have one slot free.

Is anyone going to pause their clients at 99% before the start time for a massive start?

ill switch over probably around 5 or 6 in the morning PST.. since ill probably be asleep when it starts.. woot for having a screwed up sleeping schedule..

I guess I'll need to setup my linux VMs again. Hopefully they don't have the hang at 100% problem that I was experiencing earlier because it's a pain to check them all every few hours. Perhaps a new video card is in order as well since I have one slot free.

Is anyone going to pause their clients at 99% before the start time for a massive start?

if im awake, maybe..

With the latest core, the hang issue seens to be really resolved. Mine happens sometime and it was just because I was too lazy to upgrade the core :p

With the latest core, the hang issue seens to be really resolved. Mine happens sometime and it was just because I was too lazy to upgrade the core :p

What's the latest version of the core, and will it auto download or do I have to grab it from somewhere? I checked around foldingforum and the newest I saw mentioned was 2.04 but I didn't see mention of how it was distributed.

Thanks.

I started a teardown/rebuild of two of my machines this weekend in an attempt to be able to fill my empty 16x slots with Nvidia 8800 series cards I have laying around. I should be ready to go by next weekend with a few GPUs. ;)

What's the latest version of the core, and will it auto download or do I have to grab it from somewhere? I checked around foldingforum and the newest I saw mentioned was 2.04 but I didn't see mention of how it was distributed.
I believe if you delete the old core in your folder, the client should just DL and install the new core. In terms of the hanging issue, what I did was reinstall the client with the newest version available at that time. I think it was the client version that needed to be updated. In any case, it has been working for many months and it should be fine now.

Sorry, I miswrote what I mean... I'm talking about a new client (6.24 I think) which resolve that..

one month to go eh??
i´ll be ready :cool:

Way to go sister LeSLIe :eek: You are definitely a great representative to the lady side of the mighty [H]orde :D

You kinda' dilute our neanderthalism (is that a word :confused:, youse get the ideer :p)

DCing for the CURE

I fold for a different team, but I'll be taking part in the Chimp Challenge as part of the [H]orde. Right now I'm producing about 50K PPD (stats), but I should be able to increase that.

Thanks for your help, SazanEyes. I missed this entirely last year and I was folding. Don't ask me how. Anyhow, glad to pitch in my 30Kppd to help feed the [H]ardApe.

I fold for a different team, but I'll be taking part in the Chimp Challenge as part of the [H]orde. Right now I'm producing about 50K PPD (stats), but I should be able to increase that.

woot (especially if you forget to change the team number back :D)

Thanks in advance, it's much appreciated. :cool:

Thanks in advance, it's much appreciated. :cool:

Yeah,I second that SazanEyes :p We appreciate any and all help we can get ;) Not trying to get personal, and if I am please ignore this blatent (or blatant) attempt at recruiting :(, please come and join us full time, we've always got room for a new folder (or a folder from another team) no matter what they're ppd is :D

To parrot a famous movie quote "We's don't need no stinkin' rerun of last year" (or something like that) :)

DCing for the CURE

Sazan is a full time [H]ard DC Commando. Hes been helping us greatly with many of the DCVault projects. Not that we wouldnt welcome another folder too but he is a pretty big contributor to the Horde. Thanks SazanEyes.

so where are the CC pics?

let the PPD fairy be with you

ppd%20fairy.jpg

Last edited:

<Disturbing photo NOT quoted>

I think we started everything a bit too soon last year. By the time the race actually started, everyone was burned out except for OCAU who were real late to the festivities.

woulda' quoted the pic, but I can't afford a new monitor

leSLIe lady :eek: you certainly stretch the credibility of the old sayins' "beauty is only skin deep", "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover" (especially books about fairies), "people can't help what they look like" (not even bad fairies) and "so what if you were dropped on your head off a 30 story building when you were a baby, nobody is perfect" (besides that, the pavement is hard) :rolleyes:

I'd ask where you got all the pics you post, but then you might actually tell me. Then my curiousity would get the better of me, I'd check it out and I'd wind up having to get a new monitor :mad:

You know what the scary part is :confused:, they say everyone has a double (that old wives tale has gots to go) :eek:

A little play on words "that fairy definitely poofed up the ppd with the old magic wand trick" (pay carefull attention all you "mega folders" out there) :D

DCing for the CURE

Last edited:
leSLIe lady :eek: you certainly stretch the credibility of the old sayins' "beauty is only skin deep", "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover" (especially books about fairies), "people can't help what they look like" (not even bad fairies) and "so what if you were dropped on your head off a 30 story building when you were a baby, nobody is perfect" (besides that, the pavement is hard) :rolleyes:

I'd ask where you got all the pics you post, but then you might actually tell me. Then my curiousity would get the better of me, I'd check it out and I'd wind up having to get a new monitor :mad:

You know what the scary part is :confused:, they say everyone has a double (that old wives tale has gots to go) :eek:

A little play on words "that fairy definitely poofed up the ppd with the old magic wand trick" (pay carefull attention all you "mega folders" out there) :D

DCing for the CURE

its a little nifty thing called google images and 4chan :p

So what time does the CC start exactly? Is it 12:00 Pacific? Atlantic? UTC? I'd hate to have all my clients paused at 99% only to start folding an hour early, and lose all those points completely ;)

Rather than leaving your clients at 99%, and then restarting at 12:00, couldn't we just leave our comps disconnected from our networks, and let the clients finish the WU's completely? They wouldn't be able to upload the results, and right when the Challenge starts, plug all our rigs back into the networks, and just send a massive amount of finished units? That would take out that little 1% delay to begin with :)

PST = pacific standard time..

and yes you could do that woody.. but also depends on how many WU's were put in the cache.. sometimes it may only be 1 sometimes 2 or 3..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back