Hard drive - erasing "100MB System Recovery? (Windows 7 100MB System Reserved)

Limp Gawd
[SOLVED]

Ack, "System Recovery" should read "System Reserved" in title, sorry.

I have two drives, an SSD for OS and a 1TB WD HD for storing My Documents. The problem is with the 1TB HD. I went to Device Manager and clicked on the Populate button (circled in blue in the picture) thinking that this will make my drive recognized by Windows, but that ends up creating a 100MB "System Reserved" partition, which I do not think is needed for this drive as it's not an OS drive. I learned that you are supposed to go to Disk Management in order to make the drive recognizable. This drive is not an OS drive and is just for storing documents. In Disk Management the "Delete Partition" is grayed out and I can't delete this 100MB partition. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Solved.
OK, I think I figured this out. Windows should have installed the 100MB "System Reserved" partition on the OS drive, but for some reason it installed it to the secondary 1TB HDD (lesson learned -- don't have multiple drives connected to your computer while installing an OS). I've completely de-attached the 1TB drive from the computer so this won't happen again and re-installed Windows 7 and now the OS drive has the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition on it as well as the standard C: partition for the OS, which makes sense.

All that remains to solve this problem is to figure out how to remove the System Reserved partition still on the HDD from the previous installation. I was able to just delete the partition from Disk Management. Hope this helps anyone else at least.

Last edited:
Back