18 minutes to install XP x64!

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
I got my WD6401AALS and finally decided to just go ahead and do a clean install. Due to the way I partition my drives, my Program Files and user profiles directories have been around for a number of reinstalls and are starting to get cluttered. I figured it was best to just start from scratch this time, to avoid any possible issues.

I use an unattended setup which only asks for a few bits of info, like which drive to install on, what name to give it, and what admin password to use. I have a few items disabled via the unattended file (Outlook Express, etc.), but this is a full Windows install (as opposed to some super hacked down nLite version).

I hit Enter to select the install drive at 10:30:15. At 10:48:08, I was sitting at the login screen.

It's been a while since hardware was slow enough to actually match the "time remaining" estimates during setup, but this seemed especially fast, so I decided to keep track of exactly how long it was taking.

10:30:15 - Pressed Enter to select install drive (there is some load time before this point - the "F2 for ASR, F6 for SCSI drivers" stuff)
10:34:00 - DOS mode file copy (with the yellow progress bar) finishes copying
10:35:00 - More copying (just shows filenames in the status bar) finishes and the system reboots
10:36:00 - Boots to "T-39" GUI installer and begins copying
10:37:00 - Status changes to "Installing devices"
10:39:15 - Spend about 30 seconds manually typing in hostname/password/workgroup name
10:39:45 - "T-29" copying phase begins
10:42:20 - "T-18" Registering Components
10:46:50 - System reboots
10:48:08 - System sitting at logon prompt

Many of my preferences are already set when I logon, thanks to my CD customizations. The chipset, SATA, network, and nVidia (182.50, minus PhysX due to size constraints) drivers are already installed, and my HDTV/monitor is at the correct native resolution. I just need to configure my second monitor and install my audio drivers for onboard and SBLive! that I use for voice chat (again, not included due to disc space issues).

I'm pretty sure this is the fastest Windows install I've seen. It really amazed me how fast this drive and the system in general are. I had been using an old 40GB drive (~2004) as my system drive since I upgraded, because I was coming from an AMD system but wasn't ready to repair/wipe my old install. Just like the HDTune numbers indicate, this thing screams!

Now I'm just sitting here in BartPE waiting for PartitionMagic to do its thing on the old drive so I can migrate my data and actually use this beast. =)

That's pretty quick for an OS install.
My big Color laser printer takes about that long just to warm up.

And the funny thing is: Windows 7 installs pretty much as fast, and it's 4-6x larger, go figure. If you use a USB stick to install Windows 7, it's done in roughly 12-16 mins on most current machines. I get about ~15 mins from boot to the usable Desktop off a 4GB USB stick (avg read speed 18MB/s) and Windows 7 7077 installed on a Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz laptop w/4GB of RAM and a WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200 rpm drive. Pretty snappy...

Nice to see someone out there still keeping XP Pro x64 alive... after years of solid dependable reliable ass-kicking performance, I finally put it to rest in a drawer back in December and I've been running Windows 7 as my primary OS since.

No looking back now...

ps
Just as a suggestion: avoid using Partition Magic. It's old, hasn't been updated in almost 5 years now (just gets longer by the day), and there's a far far better tool out there: Parted Magic. Open source, updated frequently, Vista/Windows 7 ready (Partition Magic from Symantec/Norton will fuck up a Vista/Windows 7 installation, guaranteed). I know you're using XP Pro x64 which is older, but even so... Parted Magic is the best tool for partitioning nowadays (and it's free, can't beat that).

www.partedmagic.com

Why does Vista take so long? I think it took almost an hour on my machine.

Something up with your hardware, perhaps. Get a 4GB USB stick, follow the instructions in the sticky located here and go for it. If it takes longer than 20 mins, something is up with your machine...

Just as a suggestion: avoid using Partition Magic. It's old, hasn't been updated in almost 5 years now (just gets longer by the day), and there's a far far better tool out there: Parted Magic. Open source, updated frequently, Vista/Windows 7 ready (Partition Magic from Symantec/Norton will fuck up a Vista/Windows 7 installation, guaranteed). I know you're using XP Pro x64 which is older, but even so... Parted Magic is the best tool for partitioning nowadays (and it's free, can't beat that).

www.partedmagic.com

Yeah, I know PM is getting old and has issues. Unfortunately I had a Fedora experience where it decided to eat a couple hundred GB of NTFS partitions, so I'm a bit gun-shy about using Linux-based partition tools. I'm sure it would be fine, there's just that subconscious irrational fear. =)

You guys should try using a USB stick sometime, I think the difference in speed for the entire installation will surprise you, even if most USB sticks max at about 20MB/s for reads. Because of their very low access times, the installs just breeze right on through. ;)

Save wear and tear on the optical drives, use a USB stick next time and see whatcha think...

Why does Vista take so long? I think it took almost an hour on my machine.

It shouldn't take that long on fairly decent hardware.....Vista or Server 2008 have taken me under 20 minutes to install on my primary laptop...early Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs, 7,200rpm drive.

USB flash drives sure make life easy. I have all my drivers on one, windows updates and upgrades like IE8, MP11 etc on another, and most of the major programs I use on another. No more swapping what seem to be endless stacks of CD's for me. :D

Windows 7 took me roughly 30 minutes to install on my ASUS 1000HE using an external dvd drive. I thought that was pretty damned quick...quite impressive, actually.

Back