SunTzu H20

Hybridchemistry

Limp Gawd
Thought I would post this up here as well. After I heard about the x58 mATX boards comming out, I decided it was time to go to i7 so I grabbed some parts I had laying around, and bought a bunch more (wallet opens to show nothing inside :()

Thus SunTzu H20 was born.
Simple specs:

Silverstone SG-01
Intel i7 920 on SwiftTech GTZ
Asus Rampage II Gene mATX x58
6gb Corsair XMS3
MSI GTX280 on Swifttech GTX200 ramsink and MCW60
2x120mm Radiator and being pumped by a MCP350 pump with Petras top
74gb Raptor boot drive, maybe a 750gb storage if I can fit it :X
DVDrw
650w Silverstone PSU

Here's a lot of pics from before:

This is the sketch of about how it is going to be, some revisions have been made:
loop25.jpg

And here's the bracket that I was thinking would be needed for the pump, but after getting a male to male fitting from Petra's Tech, I don't know if it will be necessary.
SunTzu_pump_mount2.png

Dang this post is too long :\

Today I:
-Payed taxes to the government, over 800$ worth -___-
-Got my GTX280 in the mail
-Spent a lot of time cleaning it and putting on heatsink and block.
-Took pictures :)

First few of are when I installed GTZ

Hate to thread crap, but doesn't a 240mm radiator sound hella insufficient for a Core i7 and a GTX280?

Edit: I guess if you're not looking for 4Ghz overclocks, or better than air temps then it will at least keep the water from boiling? ;)

Hmm... this is a good point.. I'm not sure what my temps will be like, this is my first i7 build and first GTX280. I imagine this little box will output quite a bit of heat, I suppose if my temps are really horrible I can always tack on second 2x120 rad on the other side :p But it would have to run fanless :(

I'm following this thread because I just bought a SG02B-F and with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 and Nvidia 8800 Ultra in there, I'm looking at pretty much the same heat output as you with the same case. The only difference is that your motherboard has the PCI-e slot closest to the CPU and mine has the card in the second slot. But if I use a singleslot block with the connectors above the card, I could actually pull it off, getting the radiator and fans inside the case. My problem would be the airflow being blocked by the card.

So I'm pretty much in consideration how I'm going to manage that... I came from a SG33G5 Shuttle which pretty much pushed my desires to install cooling that required the HDD and ODD to be removed from the case. So now I got a case twice as large and I still have a space problem :)

I'm actually wondering if a 240x120mm radiator will be enough to dissipate 300W of heat (CPU = 130W TDP, GPU = 170W TDP). It would be easier if the outside cover was one big heatsink :) Hmm that could be an interesting project...

Anyway, I ordered decent air coolers so I'll see where it goes. Keep us updated !!

Don't worry, I plan on keep you all updated. I'm really just lagging on getting the window cut, after that, it's just mount the rad and fans, do some tubing magics, tap hole for fill port, moutn handle, and i'm good to go!

Here's the handle I got for improved transportation!
I'm just not sure where to orient it :( If I do it on the top, or anywhere really, I'm going to have to support it with some thin metal I think, just to distribute the weight a little more.

Putting a handle on this case is pretty difficult, your best bet would be a very large handle with multiple anchor points over the entire length (front to back) of the case. Since the panel is solid metal, it's about the sturdiest part of the case :)

"'If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!' Sun Tzu said that - and I'd say he knows a LITTLE MORE about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it! ..."

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Cool project, though. :)

BEHOLD!
The inside of the window to be cut!
Red areas are going to be cut out.
radical2.png

I'm trying to figure out if I want to plot holes on there, or just tap through something...

Putting a handle on this case is pretty difficult, your best bet would be a very large handle with multiple anchor points over the entire length (front to back) of the case. Since the panel is solid metal, it's about the sturdiest part of the case :)
I have a sheet of 1/16" steel I was planning on cutting an oval out of and having that under the outer shell, do you think that's still not going to be enough weight distribution?
Feeling the case, that top part is pretty flimsy... Looks Like I might end up doing it on the front after all... plus then I can throw junk on top of it, and it'll probably pack easier for LANs :D

Last edited:
You have an SG01 with a metal front so that figures. The SG02 I have is plastic and that would break off instantly :)

Your window diagram is looking good !

Hazzah!
I got around to cutting the windows tonight, and I'm very glad I opted to mount them on the inside, the cuts were not the straightest :( But I think they turned out at least half decent, and it's not like they're really going to be seen :)

Some pictures:
I was trying to choose between red and blue fans... well you see what I settled on. ; Always be sure to wear protection!

On the picture with the three cuts, I was testing different speeds of my Dremel, shortest is 2, medium is 4 and last is 6, which is what I settled on for my cutting speed.

I was glad that they were both almost identical to each other, I have planned to change out both windows on the SG-01, mostly because I would prefer the uniform look, but also because I don't' like the air holes on either side.

And lastly, we have my template for cutting out the hole for air to pass through.

Last edited:
hmm this looks pretty good so far!

I'm using SG02F, and I am having trouble with the back vertical frame of the case if I want to mount stuff on the inside... there's about 1.5mm of clearance only.

if it's the same w/ SG01E, how are you getting around it?

hmm this looks pretty good so far!
I'm using SG02F, and I am having trouble with the back vertical frame of the case if I want to mount stuff on the inside... there's about 1.5mm of clearance only.
if it's the same w/ SG01E, how are you getting around it?
The back vertical... So the side where the PSU and expansion cards would mount to?

SG02-F-11.jpg

The right side, when looking at the front of the case, seems like a good place to mount things, but it also looks like it gets pretty well taken up when psu and optical drives are installed.. I had thought about mounting the pump to the back side of the front of the case because I have quite a bit of room there, but in the sg02, it looks like there is a lack of room...
What were you thinking about mounting with only 1.5mm of clearance?

hybrid, ant's problem is the rear vertical chassis frame. His interior mounted window will rub on it (same as my SG01 Evo) depending on how large a window he would cut.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about... which arrow is closest to what you're talking about?
dsfsdf.jpg

If you mean the right sided window (when looking at the front of the case), I should have quite a bit of clearence, there is plenty naturally in the SG01, but also I'm only using 1/8" lexan, vs the 1/4" plexi(?) that was on it stock.

Green arrow has it! Here is what my window currently looks like inside the cover.

WindowBackEdge.jpg

Right now it appears I will have to trim another 1/4" off the right hand side and bevel it so as not to rub the the vertical corner frame (green arrow). I believe ant has the same issue. He's just going to have to "hammer, grind, and file to suit" until it fits.....like me! :rolleyes:

Ahh... I see what you mean... and now that I've mounted the window temporarily on the top panel... There does seem to be a lack of space.. :(
This is a problem... Potentially you could trim either your plexi/lexan and or that edge piece.. Hoo boy. This should be fun to find a way to over come. :|

Here's some quick pics of taping the holes that I did tonight.

**edit
After some thinking, I think i'm just going to trim that edge of the case.On the SG01 its a solid piece unlike the picture I posted with the tabs, which really don't do too much anyway as far as I can tell. I think they're just there to keep the outer shell tight against the case. On the back that shouldn't be much of a problem, as there are 4 screws to hold it tight in place.
So I would be cutting along the red lines here:
DSC09938copy_576x768.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm I would be careful with cutting that edge. The shape keeps the case structurally strong. If you cut it there's a chance that it may get a little bit flimsy in that corner (esp if it's aluminum).

SG02F (the F versions) has a SECC body, and the 2x80mm fan mounts run all the way to the front of the case, so it might be a different, but I'd still rather not cut the case itself... =/

Here's what my right side window looks like mounted on the inside (not plexi, but modders mesh, which is ~1mm thick, and maybe 2~2.5mm w/ u-channel and tape:

258ox06.jpg

It fits to the case, but just

Nice work HC but I would look more to mounting on the outside for the lexan! Also in the pic you showed the amount you wanted to relieve the metal you would be taking out the the cleance mounting hole for the rear of the the top fan bracket! :eek:

Doing some nice stuff there!! :D

Nice work HC but I would look more to mounting on the outside for the lexan! Also in the pic you showed the amount you wanted to relieve the metal you would be taking out the the cleance mounting hole for the rear of the the top fan bracket! :eek:
Doing some nice stuff there!! :D
As far as I can tell that part isn't very critical, I wouldn't be cutting it at the corner, but right around it, so as to keep that in there and I don't plan on cutting all the way to the bottom if I don't have to.
I know I'd loose that mounting point for that bracket that holes the two 80mm fans, but that can't fit in the system anyway once I have the fans for the rad installed :p

Today I bought me some socket head cap screws, and I think I'm going to have to tap the holes on the top panel to be a little bigger. I'm so excited!

Hope you bought fine thread ones....#6-40 (#6-32s should be ok) or #8-36 (#8-32s again should be ok but wouldn't go any larger) as you're tapping into sheet metal and need some thread to grab. I do like socket head screws for doing small stuff, especially getting them in black.

Think I just killed my PSU while leak testing so my build just came to a screeching halt. :(

Just noticed, don't why I missed it before, your swiftech gpu cooler and massive heat sink. Having done the passive originally in an earlier version found it required a whole lot of air movement to help.

Got a very nice build going and am enjoying watching! ;)

Why didn't you post this in the Gallery?

A 240mm rad will not be enough to overclock a Core i7 and a GTX280. I have effectively 3 x 120mm rads and it's just enough to cool the Core i7. My fan setup isn't optimal, though, but I suggest ditching the graphics card cooling and let the stock heatsink vent out the heat.

Last edited:
Hope you bought fine thread ones....#6-40 (#6-32s should be ok) or #8-36 (#8-32s again should be ok but wouldn't go any larger) as you're tapping into sheet metal and need some thread to grab. I do like socket head screws for doing small stuff, especially getting them in black.
Think I just killed my PSU while leak testing so my build just came to a screeching halt. :(
Just noticed, don't why I missed it before, your swiftech gpu cooler and massive heat sink. Having done the passive originally in an earlier version found it required a whole lot of air movement to help.
Got a very nice build going and am enjoying watching! ;)
Well the SwiftTech Ram sink should have plenty of air flowing across it, the 120mm fans are going to be right next to it :)

Why didn't you post this in the Gallery?
A 240mm rad will not be enough to overclock a Core i7 and a GTX280. I have effectively 3 x 120mm rads and it's just enough to cool the Core i7. My fan setup isn't optimal, though, but I suggest ditching the graphics card cooling and let the stock heatsink vent out the heat.
Meh, we'll see how hot it gets, I pondered about getting a second rad for the other side, but I really just want this up and running right now. I didn't post this to the gallery because its a work in progress, not complete yet.

Hybrid, non project related question.......how are you doing your thumbnails?
I'm just having Photobucket create the links for me, are they working okay? There was an issue a while ago where they would just link to the thumbnails and not to the full sized pictures. :\

Long time no post, there fore, there will be lots of pics.

Since last time, I've trimmed the side of the lexan so now the case slides straight down into place on the case :) Also, the holes for inlet/outlet for rad have been drilled, and the air duct for the rad is almost done, just needs a little trimming. Pics will explain the rest.

Last edited:
Okay, build has been completed (needs to be cleaned up a little though), but there some leaks with my bits power fittings, so I guess I need a new board. :( Pics might be up later...
Btw, it weighs 23 pounds :(

w00t pics!
I'm actually surprised how everything worked out. Tomorrow at lunch I plan on bringing the two potentially defective bitspower 45* fittings to Petras to pressure test them, but it looks like I didn't really need them in the first place, the two 3/8" fittings I used instead worked great.
Also after re-seating my waterblock and proc (good thing too, not enough TIM the first time :(), booted up just great. Now I need to register winders :\ I think I'll just save whatever I have on there and install Win7 RC :)

Looks like it did go together well! This may be the inspiration I need to get back on DreamCatcher as it is still sitting in the same condition when I fried the mobo. :eek: And this is with the new mobo sitting unopened next to the parts.........:rolleyes:

Look forward to the "assembled" pics with all the construction tape and plex covering off, powered up with everything lit! :D

Last edited:
So, what be happening???? Need inspiration to get off my ars and rebuild mine after flamming the mobo........ :eek:

Sorry for the big break, rig is mostly done, just a little touch up needed.
This is what I did at PDXLAN:

and

Last edited:
Back