Acer H233H.bmid - Anybody here own one?

PGHammer

2[H]4U
I'm looking long and hard at this particular 23" because of both price and that it includes cables for all three of the display-routing options (VGA/DVI-D/HDMI), but I'm looking for reports from those that actually have one (especially gamers that run Windows Vista and Linux, particularly Ubuntu/Kubuntu, users).

What I'm curious about:

1. Color reproduction.
2. Resolution detection (especially in Ubuntu/Kubuntu) using DVI or HDMI.
3. Input lag (if any).

I own one, but I'm not a monitor snob so I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.:D

1. I think the colors look great much better than my old monitor.
2. I loaded up my Ubuntu partition and it automatically picked up on the resolution, but I had trouble with a Kubuntu Live CD chopping part of the screen(VGA only).
3. I couldn't tell you if it has input lag or not.

A couple of pics hooked up to my 360 via HDMI 1080p.
205biaw.jpg

2ypc7m9.jpg

331ks50.jpg

k1qplj.jpg

It has minimal amount of backlight bleed and zero dead pixels

Very nice reproduction. If I can luck out and have color repro like yours (and also no dead pixels, of course), I'd be a Happy Camper.

This is why I'm looking local: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9183224&type=product&id=1218049006792

This is why I'm NOT looking at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009162 (Yes, I see they offer free shipping; however, HOW do they ship displays? In-transit damage is an issue, and should be when buying ANY sort of display e-tail.)

I've had one for a few months now,
1) Color production seems fine to me
2) Not sure what you mean about resolution detection, but it's really smart about detecting what input you're using and setting correct aspect ratio bars if necessary.
3) Play FPS games on it all the time and do not notice input lag.

Buy it at Best Buy, you have 14 days to return it if you don't like it. Newegg = non-refundable. They ship them in the retail box, generally.

I've had one for a few months now,
1) Color production seems fine to me
2) Not sure what you mean about resolution detection, but it's really smart about detecting what input you're using and setting correct aspect ratio bars if necessary.
3) Play FPS games on it all the time and do not notice input lag.

Buy it at Best Buy, you have 14 days to return it if you don't like it. Newegg = non-refundable. They ship them in the retail box, generally.

What I mean is that some monitors (both CRT and LCD) don't communicate properly what resolutions they support via EDID. (My 19" CRT is one of them; it's a Micron Electronics CRT sourced from Panasonic.) I'd like to avoid that sort of SNAPU in the future, especially with a connection by other than VGA.

I just picked one up last Friday from Best Buy as well. I am very pleased with it so far. No stuck pixels and it looks great. I bought for my new i7 build which isn't complete yet. So I have only gamed with it using my old 6800 GTO. I haven't noticed any lag, but my 6800 struggles to keep up with it. I am sure my 260 GTX will be fine with it.

How are the black levels and movies on this set? Could we get some more pics please!

Thanks One2The3

Here is my first attempt at properly calibrating the monitor using the Spyder2Express.

Be gentle.:p

zn2cuv.jpg

2pyzyo9.jpg

2nauwoz.jpg

wval5d.jpg

Using the 360 to play the DVD.

I hate this camera. :eek:

I think I finally got the monitor pretty much dialed in. I had to use the Spyder2Pro software instead of the Express, because of the extra tuning options along with HCFR.
Before and After
zn2cuv.jpg
picture007dsg.jpg

2nauwoz.jpg
picture009d.jpg

2pyzyo9.jpg
picture035wgh.jpg

wval5d.jpg
picture031ldy.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really good! Thanks for the update ydragon! Might pick one up over summer. After (dunno exactly how long youve had it) how is it? I mean any bad blacklight bleed outside of norm, or some other thing?

Thanks, One2The3

Looks really good! Thanks for the update ydragon! Might pick one up over summer. After (dunno exactly how long youve had it) how is it? I mean any bad blacklight bleed outside of norm, or some other thing?

Thanks, One2The3

The only real problem I had was the 360 restarting every time I switched from the 360(HDMI) to my PC(VGA). It was easily fixed by using the HDMI audio dongle that MS supplies instead of using the Component cables to pump the audio into my headphones.
110489-9.jpg

I have the X223H. Same panels I believe and no speakers.

I read as many reviews as I could before grabbing anything from Acer 'cause I'm a Sammy fan. Anyway, I haven't seen one report of dead pixels and have none myself.

acerduals.jpg

I have the X223H. Same panels I believe and no speakers.

I read as many reviews as I could before grabbing anything from Acer 'cause I'm a Sammy fan. Anyway, I haven't seen one report of dead pixels and have none myself.

acerduals.jpg

The reports of dead/stuck pixels are from NewEgg's site.

Speaking of the acre of Acer (pun intended, but barely), I picked up mine today (local BB; my 19" CRT finally got too sick to go on).

I'll tell you one thing; this beastie is *bright* at the default settings; however.the blacks are every bit as good as *any* of the TVs in the house (all except two are CRTs, and include a 32" Trinitron WEGA). It also doesn't suffer from the detection issue that my CRT did (I actually swapped displays while Windows was running; even though I was moving from analog to digital (and from 1600x1200 to 1920x1080) on-the-fly, Windows (7 Ultimate 64-bit RC) adjusted nicely. My one quibble (with Windows 7) is that it lacks wallpaper for widescreen use.).

I haven't done any gaming on it yet; that will be interesting, to say the least.

EDIT: I threw my newest (and generally favorite) game (Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box for PC) at the Acer; while I have neither enough CPU or GPU to crank things up to 1920x1080 (the monitor's base resolution via DVI or HDMI), I do have an option within the game for 1280x720 (also non-interlaced, which runs quite swimmingly, despite it NOT being the preferred resolution for the monitor. Another thing; it flat-out *spanks* most LCDs in the same size range (and kicks the butt of most CRTs, for that matter) in *text* display at 1920x1080 (HTML text is clean, crisp, and legible; so are PDFs, Word documents, e-mail, or anything else viewed at that extremely tall resolution; I am both near-sighted and suffer from severe astigmatism, which means that dealing with text at high resolutions is usually a pain in the rear (especially with non-aperture-grille CRTs); this is among the rare LCDs to actually get text right, even at viewing distances exceeding a foot (however, I noticed that the only other panels that BB had on display that got text right were other TN panels; however, they did NOT include the Hannspree, which was $10 less).

Last edited:
Anybody know the main differences between the Acer X233H 23" and the H233H bmid? I'm guessing its just the speakers, but is the quality the same?

Thanks, One2The3

I have 2 of them and LOVE them no dead pixels I purchased mine from best buy, I will post picture later

Anybody know the main differences between the Acer X233H 23" and the H233H bmid? I'm guessing its just the speakers, but is the quality the same?

Thanks, One2The3

Yeah, just the speakers (I believe) and the cabinet is different.

Thanks Nighted. I could care less about aesthetics as long as it retains image quality. I've got some speakers anyhow too! Think I'll pull the trigger on the X233H sometime soon and hopefully report back.

Thanks, One2The3

Thanks Nighted. I could care less about aesthetics as long as it retains image quality. I've got some speakers anyhow too! Think I'll pull the trigger on the X233H sometime soon and hopefully report back.

Thanks, One2The3

The speakers (or lack of, in the case of the X233H) are the only difference (they use the exact same panel and include the same display-management software and documentation). They did not have the X variant at the local BB (however, they have since put the H on sale), and the speakers are, for me, primarily a convenience on the "Hackintosh" side of things, as that's where I use my onboard sound (no X-Fi support on Macs/Hacks; however, Windows and Linux distributions support the X-Fi just fine).

Speaking of included cables, that's one other major PLUS in Acer's favor - they didn't just include every video input cable, but a separate analog audio-input cable as well. Acer, to my knowledge, is the only low-end LCD display company that includes cables for every input; in fact, they are one of the few LCD display companies that does so at all. It's always better to have (but not need) a cable than need (but not have) that same cable.

I am unfailingly recommending the H/X233H as a replacement budget/value LCD display.

Thanks PgHammer for reenforcing my thoughts on buying either set. Yeah I know BB doesn't carry the X variant, but I checked out CompUSA's website and it's there. I'm thinkin I could visit today to see if they have it (also have the H variant) and come to a decision. Thats the one of the things I like about this Acer; it has all the cables! We'll see what happens!

One2The3

Back