Warner Bros. Red2Blu Upgrade Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that bought a ton of HD DVDs and now you want to get rid of them, you can take advantage of Warner Bros. Red2Blu upgrade offer. All you do is pick the movie you have, send in the original HD DVD cover art of the movie along with $4.95 and you get a Blu-ray version in the mail in a few weeks.

Dear Warner Brothers,

I think I paid around 4.95 for most of the HD-DVD's I purchased through Amazon and iNet Video. Clearance sales were good to me.

Thanks tho,

Although I wouldn't mind mailing them my Harry Potter Collectors edition Box set to get that back on Blu Ray for $4.95

Raping the cover art on my movies sounds kind of silly, but I guess technically I wouldn't really need it or the disc anymore... might have to browse the ol' collection when I get home and see what WB titles I could replace.

Sounds like a good PR move to me. WB probably makes a small amount and it broadens the blu-ray base. Win-win.

As much as I hate the studios, at least they not asking near to full retail for the exchange. Good PR move indeed, and it may actually get them more Bluray title sales out of it in the end.

Now if only they'd do something similar for DVD to Bluray. Yeah, right.

The only catch I've found so far is that to upgrade my ultimate matrix version, I'm supposed to have the paper from the back of the box. Yeah that got thrown away, so I'm screwed there.

Still might send in the harry potter set tho. $14.95 to upgrade those doesn't sound like a bad deal.

As much as I hate the studios, at least they not asking near to full retail for the exchange. Good PR move indeed, and it may actually get them more Bluray title sales out of it in the end.

That'll come someday, probably by some third party trader.

My mother collects Disney movies and cartoons. She had over 250 Disney VHS tapes and found a site online that does VHS to DVD exchanges for a couple dollars or so more.

I think they are including DVDs in Bluray boxes now as an added bonus. Which is a nice idea.

well gee, this is great!

<-- Now only if Universal did that... That would be most of my HD-DVD movies which I still watch!

Which is irrespective of my point. If they really wanted to earn some good will from the consumers that they've been repeatedly reaming for all these years, they'd do exactly what I said. It would increase Bluray penetration for sure, and again would probably lead to more sales overall. Hell, I'd finally jump on the Blu bandwagon right now if I could trade in my old titles (I'm teetering on that Amazon deal for a 40"/Bluray for ~$950 as it is though).

<-- Have lots of DVD's....... no blu-ray of them as of yet....

I have a PS3 that is my Blu-ray player.. I won't get anything else. Just not worth it.

Could you post a link to the Disney VHS to DVD site? My wife has a ton of money into the Disney movies and would really like to convert to DVD but they are limited time releases and not cheap.

Damn.... I don't have the jackets. I toss all that space-robbing junk and put them in sleeves in a large case for storage, and maintain the whole lot with DVD Profiler.

I've got around 800 DVD sets (well over 1000 discs), and when you reach this point there just isn't a reasonable way to store them fully intact any more.

I've got around 800 DVD sets (well over 1000 discs), and when you reach this point there just isn't a reasonable way to store them fully intact any more.

I don't know if they have them where you live but it's called a shelf :rolleyes:

Dear Warner Brothers,

I think I paid around 4.95 for most of the HD-DVD's I purchased through Amazon and iNet Video. Clearance sales were good to me.

Thanks tho,

Point has been missed.

You can get the BLURAY versions of these for another $5.
Which, means, it's a bargain. Transformers = $10 (if that's a warners brothers title)

Damn.... I don't have the jackets. I toss all that space-robbing junk and put them in sleeves in a large case for storage, and maintain the whole lot with DVD Profiler.

At 0.5" wide you should be almost be able to fit all of them onto two of these....ikea book cases

That's a lot of DVDs!

waitaminute... i thought we were paying for the right to watch their content. why do they want us to pay again for the same movie? :p

IMO, this should be the price for all "upgrades". They will never let us have a copy of the original full quality film, because then they couldn't mooch off us for all these different versions. ;)

Or you can get some cinder blocks and pieces of wood. Need more room, increase the amount of cinder blocks and wood. Cut to fit.

Could you post a link to the Disney VHS to DVD site? My wife has a ton of money into the Disney movies and would really like to convert to DVD but they are limited time releases and not cheap.

I'll have to ask my mother when I see her. I haven't a clue.

pretty cool idea actually.
you're not mailing the actual hd-dvd, just the cover, so you can now own the title on both HD formats.

The only catch I've found so far is that to upgrade my ultimate matrix version, I'm supposed to have the paper from the back of the box. Yeah that got thrown away, so I'm screwed there.

Not really. The Matrix Blu-rays used the same audio and video as the HD DVDs.

I find it funny how WB decided to do this considering they're probably the worst studio there is in terms of releasing quality Blu-rays. Might be a move to get on the good side of those quality enthusiasts... or then again, maybe not.

I will never support Blu-Ray. Maybe not a big deal since I'm only one person, but I'm guessing there are others who also will not swallow this pill.

Dear Warner Brothers,

Thanks tho,

Haha! I was thinking the same thing, I don't think I've paid more than $5 for a movie.

Nice. I don't think 4.95 is low enough. We'll see. I like my covers. haha.
Kinkos color copies FTW? :D

I'd just scan the covers and print me some new ones on my inkjet - may not be perfect, but for the price, I wouldn't really care (if I had any Warner HD-DVDs...)

Not a bad deal if you have those titles, SH adds $6.95 which is not to bad. And that is for how ever many you get. Ive paid more then that for SH on one disc alone in the past.

I'm also going to get hosed on the Matrix but You can still get the 10 year anniversary edition of the first one if you send that in. This works out for me as I have that Harry Potter set and about 6 others and was wondering if I was going to fold and rebuy as bluray or just wait for my HDDVD player to crap out. Now if I could just do this and get the Bourne movies in BR...

Point has been missed.

You can get the BLURAY versions of these for another $5.
Which, means, it's a bargain. Transformers = $10 (if that's a warners brothers title)

I re-thought some of my original misinterpretation from the first post, but seriously, I have three totally functional HD-DVD players and a lot of those re-released warner titles don't offer any difference besides the color of the case. A few of them have upgraded audio tracks, but I'm not really down to pay $5 extra for marginally improved audio.

I do think it's cool that you get to keep the disc though, that's a nice touch. I'm going to read through www.hidefdigest.com and see if any of my Warner discs offer something improved that would warrant a re-buy.

As someone else pointed out, The Matrix collection has 0 improvements on the blu ray release, so that would really be a pointless re-buy.

I only have the one player and this way I don't need to worry about future compatability. And really, as much as I loved my hddvd player (a Toshiba A-3) the player really is a piece of crap, especially compared to my PS3 for bluray. It takes over a minute to boot (or maybe just under a minute but damn it feels like forever) and on at least half the hddvd's I have played on it it has frozen at some point and I have to power the entire thing down and back up to get it to play. And this is a common problem with seemingly all but the first gen Toshiba players. And this still after 4 firmware updates. It is a fantastic upscaling DVD player though and I like an underdog so it holds a special place in my heart but if I could swap everything or near everything I have in hddvd for bluray for $5 a piece I would do it in a heartbeat. As it is after this I'll be left with the 2 of the Bourne movies, the last two Matrix movies, Hulk, Frighteners (awesome Peter Jackson movie if you haven't seen it), Babel and Transformers on hddvd.

Great gesture on the part of WB; shipping kills it for me though as the only one I really would like to exchange is $14.95+6.95 shipping. The BluRay version of the same is $21 on Amazon. Sadly, I've already spent the money to "upgrade" most of my HD-DVDs to BluRay the old fashioned way.

So like I said, for me anyhow, it's a nice gesture... but also too little, too late.

Correction... LOTS of shelves. Been there done that. I needed my living room back.

Have you seen the room it takes to store over 1000 DVD's in their cases?

I don't know if they have them where you live but it's called a shelf :rolleyes:

Just an FYI, WB is limiting the "exchange" to 25 DVD's per household / customer. While they are ways around this for most, it's still an annoyance....

Just an FYI, WB is limiting the "exchange" to 25 DVD's per household / customer. While they are ways around this for most, it's still an annoyance....

Good, so it won't be an issue then because you're supposed to be sending in HD DVDs.

Back