Any news regarding Corsair's enthusiast case?

I am anxiously awaiting reviews as well, as this is the case I have eben the most intrested in since I laid eyes on the v1000b

This case is my responsibility guys - and we're making it better every step of the way. We're almost done though, just finishing three or four little stupid things. I can tease you guys with some good info though - we listened to the suggestions you guys made on the case we showed at CEBIT (an early sample, pre-tooling) and we have modified it quite a bit while retaining all the cool parts.

If you guys can keep your hats on for just a little bit longer you should be able to buy it before too long.

I might post some teaser pics in the next few weeks.... :)

Damn that prototype looks delicious. Makes me hesistant about ordering my Lian Li. Must have ETA!

Any confirmation on price breaks when bundling the case with a Corsair powersupply?

There will be promotions at various retailers, but we won't get into what they are now. They will change in time. It might be a deal with the HX1000 one month and the next month a deal with the TX850.

Depends on what is selling and what works.

If I can get it for $275 including a modular power supply, I'll buy one. Looks pretty. Don't want a window in the side panels tho....

If I can get it for $275 including a modular power supply, I'll buy one. Looks pretty. Don't want a window in the side panels tho....

We will have a version of the side panel available without a window for people who want one for mods and paint jobs and just don't like windows.

Can't wait for this case to be available. Going to be buying my case mid May. I hope it is out by than. It'll go nicely with my Corsair HX1000W :D

lol! you did see how nice, how big, and how feature-loaded that thing is right? $275 BEFORE psu is about right. you might get a 520hx with it for $350 total. if you want a modular corsair psu thats really worthy of this case (aka not 520hx or 620hx) then youre really only left with the 1000hx, and in that case dont expect to pay less than $450 combined. youll just be setting yourself up for disappointment. this is some high quality, high power schwag youre asking for. :D

can you answer about the removable mobo tray redbeard? i assume it has one since it seems to have everything else but id like to know for sure. looks like an awesome case. im glad you guys are really taking the extra time to do things right!

You sir, have got money to burn. Not that its a bad thing.:D

lol had to give up my old computer to my wife to be able to get this new computer! I wish I had money to burn hehe. Its a one time thing, but yes Corsair case with my new build makes a happy me!

can you answer about the removable mobo tray redbeard? i assume it has one since it seems to have everything else but id like to know for sure. looks like an awesome case. im glad you guys are really taking the extra time to do things right!

In one of the early samples, the motherboard tray flipped downward and was removable, but after playing with it a bit we realized we never used the feature.

In order for a removable motherboard tray to be useful it really has to contain the PCI slot brackets and the I/O shield area, otherwise you have to kind of screw in the board, put the thing back in the case, and then go to town.

The version that is launching has a fixed motherboard tray, for the fact that it didn't really add much to the feature set. There's a panel behind the CPU socket for installing heatsink backplates, there's tons of holes for cable routing, all of which are grommeted, and the case is huge inside so even with my substantial hands (I can palm Pluto) I have never felt cramped inside the case.

If the motherboard tray is a dealbreaker, then sorry about that, guys. My bad. But all the guys here who've played with it don't think it would really add any benefit, and we never used it. (though we did use it a lot of the time on other cases that had it).

it does look nice, but PLEASE..... if you're making a window at least make it a nice big one and not some weird shaped small one like CM did with their cosmos, it was crap... this is what has stopped me from buying several cases before.

that makes sense. def not a dealbreaker. dealbreaker for me on this one is the size. :( im not a full tower guy. i agree that to have the removable tray be useful, it has to contain the pci slots. i didnt even think about the fact that this case is so huge, it wouldnt even be of any help really. just goes to show once again how much thought you guys are putting into this thing. i may not get one for myself, but it sounds like i might be recommending it often!

This case is my responsibility guys - and we're making it better every step of the way. We're almost done though, just finishing three or four little stupid things. I can tease you guys with some good info though - we listened to the suggestions you guys made on the case we showed at CEBIT (an early sample, pre-tooling) and we have modified it quite a bit while retaining all the cool parts.

If you guys can keep your hats on for just a little bit longer you should be able to buy it before too long.

I might post some teaser pics in the next few weeks.... :)

Thanks for the response. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these puppies.

That'd be sweet if I could get a deal on this and a PSU, especially an HX1000. ;)

I'm pretty sold on this and ready to switch away from LL's for standard deployments. Thank you for making one without a window, that's not something that would fly here. Do you have a rough idea of which month it will be shipping?

How does this case perform with repects to air flow. Only bottom fans and a rear, no front for some odd reason. so does this case work on a negative or positive pressure? BTW you know what would be interesting to see... Mac Pro handels. :rolleyes:

Handles do come in handy, ouch mind the pun. I found a pair on Xoxide or some other mod site a few years back and added them to my Lian-Li case. They are a nice shiny aluminum. Of course I had to mark and drill my own holes, but they have been great while lugging my case to numerous Lan parties over the years. From the dimensions of the case in question, I'm not so sure I would enjoy lugging that bad boy anywhere.

Handles do come in handy, ouch mind the pun. I found a pair on Xoxide or some other mod site a few years back and added them to my Lian-Li case. They are a nice shiny aluminum. Of course I had to mark and drill my own holes, but they have been great while lugging my case to numerous Lan parties over the years. From the dimensions of the case in question, I'm not so sure I would enjoy lugging that bad boy anywhere.

Yeah handles are great when you plan on moving a case pretty frequently, like a Lan Party case or something. This thing really isn't much of a Lan Party case.

We might as well put tank treads and a small motor on it. You could sit on top of it and drive it to the Lan Party yourself.

That would definitely be awesome.

But I disagree that handles are only useful with a small, mobile case. Every time I've had to move the my CM Cosmos I've been very thankful for those goddamned handles. Maybe your case won't weight 100lbs though.

In one of the early samples, the motherboard tray flipped downward and was removable, but after playing with it a bit we realized we never used the feature.

In order for a removable motherboard tray to be useful it really has to contain the PCI slot brackets and the I/O shield area, otherwise you have to kind of screw in the board, put the thing back in the case, and then go to town.

The version that is launching has a fixed motherboard tray, for the fact that it didn't really add much to the feature set. There's a panel behind the CPU socket for installing heatsink backplates, there's tons of holes for cable routing, all of which are grommeted, and the case is huge inside so even with my substantial hands (I can palm Pluto) I have never felt cramped inside the case.

If the motherboard tray is a dealbreaker, then sorry about that, guys. My bad. But all the guys here who've played with it don't think it would really add any benefit, and we never used it. (though we did use it a lot of the time on other cases that had it).

I think after my experience with the LL A70, I would agree with that. Once you add the CPU mounting holes, I don't think there's a real pressing need to make it removable. Plus the case is freakin' huge anyway, so being cramped (a la P180 series) won't be a problem.

If the final product lives up to expectations I certainly intend on purchasing one for my next build. Maybe if the line is a success a small mid-tower addition for the Lan Party enthusiast might be possible. I know I would want one.

If the final product lives up to expectations I certainly intend on purchasing one for my next build. Maybe if the line is a success a small mid-tower addition for the Lan Party enthusiast might be possible. I know I would want one.

I don't think anybody goes into the case business with the intention of building just one product. :)

Build an HTPC case with the sexiness of OrigenAE's offerings, but much cheaper with wider availability!

Well I haven't seen the design in person, nor am I familiar with all the changes to the case so take my observations with a grain of salt. (Though any of you who read my thread on the P190 know how tough I can be on case designs.) The main issue I have with the design is that it uses 3.5" hard drive trays. These are almost always universally cheap feeling, flimsy and pointless. In many cases they rattle and just create noise.

Also this has a tool-less design in place for the 5 1/2" bays. Again these often irritiate me as they just aren't usually well done. The largest problem I have with these is that they normally lock down only one side of the optical drive or other installed hardware and when looking at the front of the case, the optical drive has a larger gap around it on one side vs. the other. These also create a situation where the optical drive can generate extra noise and vibrate like a jackhammer when the optical drive spins up. Tool-less designs sound well and good in theory, but in practice I find that I'd just rather mount the drives with four screws the old fashioned way. I would also prefer a windowed, and a non-windowed version of the case. I don't like cases with windows in them but I understand that many people do. So I'd like to see two versions to please both camps.

So far from what I can see the case looks good overall, but I don't think they've got a Lian-Li killer or a Silverstone killer on their hands just yet. With a few changes, they very well could. So many cases would be nearly perfect with just a handful of minor tweaks and many case makers stop just short. (Cough, Antec, cough, cough.)

I've been using cases without motherboard trays for awhile. If the case is large enough (most of mine tend to be E-ATX compatible cases) then this is far from a deal breaker or a problem. I do like what you said about the hole in the motherboard tray so you can access the back of the CPU socket for installing heat sink mounting plates. That's truly an innovative feature that I think should have been done years ago.

I don't think anybody goes into the case business with the intention of building just one product. :)

I was implying a spin off of a popular version suitable for the Lan Party crowd using the same design features but on a smaller scale. If the full tower version were to tank in sales would it make good business sense to initiate the smaller design or would that line get axed in favor of the "next best thing" in your design portfolio?

Am I the only that thinks this case is highly overhyped for what it is?

I've not really ever heard much "hype" about it. Yes it is an anticipated product and with good reason. In a world full of plastic gaudy, tacky looking cases we need another choice in the market place. At least those of us who like simple yet elegant designs.

Can we get a separate sku for a top panel without the 3 fan mounts for us non-water cooling noobs? ;)

Yes, I like the really clean lines (Apple/Lian Li) look.

Awesome case by the way!!!

No. Other than the thread I posted, I haven't seen any discussion on this or any other board I frequent.

Redbeard also posted this on XS, and got plenty of responses there as well. Mind you, there's gotta be dozens of other overclocking/enthusiast forums out there, but I consider [H] and XS to be the best two options.

*please pardon my homerism lol.

Agree about having enough space inside being better than motherboard tray.
I once had Aopen HQ8 with full tray and while I used tray few times removing every single wire was pain in the neck... It's lot easier to just remove external cables from case and move it to work table...
In which even single carrying handle is very useful with big E-ATX case when you can't just wrap one arm around the case for keeping it upright when using other for lifting it from bottom.

The main issue I have with the design is that it uses 3.5" hard drive trays. These are almost always universally cheap feeling, flimsy and pointless. In many cases they rattle and just create noise.
And while plastic doesn't insulate vibration it does that for heat so you don't even get cooling effect of hard screw mounting to case structure.

Also this has a tool-less design in place for the 5 1/2" bays.
The largest problem I have with these is that they normally lock down only one side of the optical drive or other installed hardware and when looking at the front of the case, the optical drive has a larger gap around it on one side vs. the other. These also create a situation where the optical drive can generate extra noise and vibrate like a jackhammer when the optical drive spins up.
And installing short devices like card readers/fan controllers to these securely can be very hard so standard screw mounting option should be always available.

So many cases would be nearly perfect with just a handful of minor tweaks and many case makers stop just short.
Or more properly: They forget utilitarian aspect when they instead start adding fashionable marketing gimmicks and bling.

Last edited:

I would strongly suggest using some good button/switches for the power/reset. My biggest pet peeve about my CM 690 case is the fact that the power switch broke within the first 40 days of ownership(stupid cheap plastic). I ended up replacing the buttons with a set of high grade Vandal switches from frozencpu(not exact switchs, I used 2 momentary and 1 latching)

Last edited:
Back