T-Shooter 4 Barrel Cooler

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can’t make heads or tails of this website but I did manage to scavenge a handful of images of the sweetest looking cooler I have seen in a long time. I’ll try to dig up more info on this thing for sure.

I'll throw the first theory out.

It looks like it's creating a vortex. Maybe they figure a tornado-type effect cools better than just pulling air over the thin plate?

I think the concept here is that you're getting more air over more surface area that's closer to the CPU. Probably works pretty well, but probably not any better than a good heat pipe cooler.

shit Steve, I didnt even notice the headline I thought I was original on the 4 barrel cooling comment.

I tent to look at pretty pictures before I read. damn me.

Aside from the fan on top, my first thought was some sort of quad ln2 pot. But dunno :confused:

Any guess on what liquid/gas goes in the center passage?

Not even close to enough surface area, and has too much mass/material, too expensive to manufacture, it just can't succeed.

At first I thought this was going to be an LN2 cooler, from the way the top was open.

I'm not sure if this would work well in the way they're depicting it. Traditionally the fan blows DOWN on the heatsink, not away from it like they show on their website.

I think it might work better if there was some kind of side fan blowing cool air inand having a second fan pulling the air up out of the tubing.

my guess is performance isn't even close to the best cooler.... looks cool though.

actually, in a case, it wouldn't even look so cool

got their thinking caps on for sure

This thing would have been much better if it was lined with half inch long, flat pins spiralring up. I doubt this cools all that well.

I bet it cools just fine. Would I trust it with my pc..... F*** NO

Maybe if it was a heat pipe in the middle to distribute the heat but i don't think this would work the way they want to, but I am sure it would cool a cpu fine under normal use. I believe it would look cool in a case, if you had a window you could see right through the fan and the 5 pipes going down.

thats pretty sick looking!

I wonder how it will preform as well as pricing and if we can get some people from japan to ship it into America for us!

If you look at the thermal picture, you will notice that the hottest spot (centre) is right underneath the fan's dead zone.

errr.... posted too fast. I meant it had a huge dead zone it seems like.

Not even close to enough surface area, and has too much mass/material, too expensive to manufacture, it just can't succeed.

I don't know about being expensive to manufacture, its an extrusion that has minimal machining done to it. It looks a lot cheaper to make than most of the other non-OEM coolers out there.

Interesting design, I don't know anything of fluid dynamics, so can't judge it there, but the lack of general surface area would have me worried about how good it would be.

Atleast it is something completely new, not just a variation of the heat pipe + fin tower design.

Well if that whole center section is fluid It will probably work very well if you can mount it vertically.

I do think it will heaksoak but??? Al is a very good heat disipator and the fluid is whats going to do most of the cooling, look at the U-120 for example it's all fluid heat transfer.

maybe if it hooked into a water cooler loop. Maybe they were inspired by industrial cooling towers?

I highly recommend this heatsink to be used with the cheese you used in your thermal paste review. I think they are on the same preformance level.

I know epic fail is over used, however this one really will be epic fail.

I'd be so surprised if this performed anywhere near as well as many of the heat pipe coolers around at the moment (due to tiny surface area of fins).

I hope it does though, as it'll be quite cheap to produce in huge quantities - it's mostly just a single aluminium extrusion.

Though I guess if it works, it could be improved with heat pipes to take the heat from the centre to the edges where most of the heat is supposedly sucked out of the metal by the magical vortices.

Looking forward to test results.

Not going to work that well at all. Too little surface area. And the fan that is being used on it won't have enough static pressure/suction to actually make the air to vortex like it is intended to do.

A large blower fan or, better yet, a vacuum cleaner fan would work wonders.

Not going to work that well at all. Too little surface area. And the fan that is being used on it won't have enough static pressure/suction to actually make the air to vortex like it is intended to do.

A large blower fan or, better yet, a vacuum cleaner fan would work wonders.

Doesn't matter if you pushed all the air in the world every second through the fan at completely turbulent flow. Not enough fin area to do anything.

It's 80x80mm by 97mm hight according to the links. That means each barrel has ~40mm diameter and 40 fins. From the pics we can measure the fin height at 3mm and 1mm wide. That gives a total of (3+3+1+1)*40*4*97 (one side, other side, inside, bottom between fins)*(number of fins)*(number of barrels)*(height) = 0.124m^2. Take a thermal right ultra 120, 63mm*132mm*52*2 = 0.865m^2. You can be really fancy, but it's going to be really hard to beat something with 7 times the surface area.

I don't know about being expensive to manufacture, its an extrusion that has minimal machining done to it. It looks a lot cheaper to make than most of the other non-OEM coolers out there.

You might be right. When I first looked at it I thought the grooves here helical (which a vortex kind of requires), like "rifling". So the main peice is extruded, then 4 cuts are made, then it's bonded to the base.

I almost wonder if the basic part was made for some other purpose, and someone thought to make a heatsink out of it.

One thing it has going for it: broad cross section to carry the heat out into the fins. However, all that useful cross section is in the radial plane, but aluminum is not going to have as much conductivity as heat pipes in the Z axis - only the half inch or so near the CPU plate would actually be doing any cooling. So +1 for the central heat pipe idea (one fat heat pipe is analogous the the planar heat pipes used in communications satellites and "vapor chamber" GPU coolers). Then all you need is 7x the airflow of the fan on your TRUE 120 (+1 for vacuum cleaner blower), and a good noise-canceling aviation headsets for gaming.

Looks cool though - would probably look really sweet in an acrylic ITX case cooling an Atom.

As this is supposedly designed to be a quiet cooler, I'm very curious how it will perform. You guys are too quick to discount applied fluid dynamics for cooling. You'd be surprised at the efficiency of some unintuitive designs that were produced using mathematical models.

(I'll admit that there is a lot of fluid dynamics that is so close to voodoo, it's practically guess work.)

As this is supposedly designed to be a quiet cooler, I'm very curious how it will perform. You guys are too quick to discount applied fluid dynamics for cooling. You'd be surprised at the efficiency of some unintuitive designs that were produced using mathematical models.

(I'll admit that there is a lot of fluid dynamics that is so close to voodoo, it's practically guess work.)

You can build all the mathematical models you want, trust me I've run a few FEA. But if you have reasonable flow rates (which you do on something like the 120) then you simply can't gain that much. For example on a recent problem we did at work, we went from a 6000 RPM fan to a 14,000 RPM fan. We only dropped the temperture delta by a little less than 20%.

Back