Gateway XHD3000 ?

menace2society

Limp Gawd
I need a new monitor and I'm thinking about getting a 30". I was wondering if any one owns the Gateway XHD3000 of has any first hand knowledge of how this monitor would work in a gaming setup. Is there any lag or any other down sides.

TIA. Menace

Do a search on this forum , there is a giant thread on the Gateway XHD3000...

They are an excellent buy for the money if you can still find them. I believe JR's still carries them. The early models definitely had their issues with many complaining of issues into later revisions. The two biggest issues are the two second blackouts, seemingly fixed on all but the earliest revisions, and vertical lines forming around the one year mark. These lines have been attributed to either the power supply or the panel itself. Gateway seems to be doing everything in its power to get out of any warranty replacements, so if you do buy, document well.

I have three of these beauties, and all of them work for the most part. Their build dates are March '08 (X2) and June '08. One of the March '08 panels has the blackout problem and very recently started displaying two vertical lines on the far left side of the screen. I had registered all three panels on Gateway's website, but they seem to conveniently lose my registration quickly (I've registered them twice with "no record" of the previous). Fortunately I have the confirmation emails, reciepts from Newegg and a phone recorder. :D When you call their support line and say "by law I must inform you this call is being recorded", they tend to not jerk you around as much. Still, they've been resistent and I don't have an RMA yet. I'll keep you informed.

tripletsn.jpg

Apart from all that, I love them! Their connectivity, color, refresh rate... all of it has been wonderful. So long as they honor their warranty I'll keep promoting them. If they don't, well we'll just add my name to the numerous pending lawsuits.

I've used this monitor for about 2 weeks before returning it to Micro center and basicly here are my short impressions :

1. If you plan to use a console on it and upscale the image .. brace your-self for some serious input lag. Its very noticable for my 360/PS3 games vs my older LCD that feels as smooth as a CRT. There really isn't anyway around it since the image is going to processed through the scaler in the monitor so its a bummer for people like me.

2.As was descirbed by Frrak , mine would randomly turn off or go into sleep mode and not come out until I restarted it about 3 or 4 times. Very aggrovating to say the least .. I would leave my PC alone for about 5 mins come back and have to do this over and over again.. not really my favorite thing.

3.Backlight bleed was pretty bad from the bottom half of the screen .. I've seen worse on some 22 inch TN panels but this wasn't that great at all and it really wasn't something I was expecting in this price range to be honest. I did my best to adjust the brightness/contrast to try and make it less of an issue but I just couldn't get over it .. this probably most of all made returning it my final choice.

This monitor was just not for me in the end , I did like alot of the features .. being able to watch tv in the PIP was pretty awesome and the picture for it looked great. In the end though the flaws were something I couldn't overlook so I took it back.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, you both have been very helpful. I wish you would have had better news for me though LOL. Frraksurred I just have one more question for you, If you had to do it all over again....
I just can't stop thinking about $899. That's what I paid for my 24"BenQ when it came out:confused:

TIA Menace

There's a reason these XHD3000 LCDs are $899. Frrak and the machine described the problems very well. I returned my XHD within 3 weeks after its power supply fried out. I think you'd be a helluva lot happier in the long run by spending a couple hundred more on the Dell 3007WFP-HC. Dell always runs coupons that can drop the price, too. The 3-year, perfect picture warranty alone is worth the peace of mind. Dell replaced my refurb 3008 (many stuck pixels) with a brand new one and covered all shipping costs.

these monitors combined w/ z5500's always makes me laugh

You and me both, lol. If you've followed any of my posts then you already know I'm in the process of changing that. I've a Marantz SR5003 reciever, but I'm still saving for the 5.1 speakers. They will be a combination of the Axiom's and a HSU sub. Having said that, the Z-5500's have served me well so far for what they are.

--

Frraksurred I just have one more question for you, If you had to do it all over again....

That's a tough call. I love 'em... I just wish GW would have built them to last. In the end I have to agree with Mr. Wolf. Spend the extra couple hundred dollars for the Dell and some peace of mind.

Back