ASUS 120Hz 22" monitor

rostabosta

n00b
Anyone heard anything on this monitor? All I can find is the press releases from CEBIT 2009.

The only other two 120Hz monitors (samsung & viewsonic) seem like they would work but for a $350 TN panel I expect a stand thats actually adjustable and isn't a flimsy piece of crap.

Imo, the samsung and viewsonic seemed rush to market especially considering those are the only two 120Hz panels you can buy. Basically rushed them out the door to be first. Although I'm sure they'd work, I wanted to wait to see if the ASUS was better...since its coming out later hopefully they spent the time to do it right.

Anyway, if anyone has any info on the ASUS 120hz monitor it would greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing the complete lack or response is the answer to my question, but wanted to bump in case someone missed it...

Based on the stats listed on the press release the Asus 120hz LCD gaming monitor will be almost identical to the Samsung/Viewsonic models with the same response time as the Viewsonic and the same dynamic contrast ratio (20:000 to 1).

Doubt its going to be anything special or different.

Yeah, its not so much the panel, as that seems really good. It just the stand and the other misc. features that I'm hoping will be better.

Both the samsung and viewsonic seem to have really wobbly bad stands and features. For $400 TN panel, itd be nice if the others parts were nice.

i hope we could see some refresh rate war as we have previously seen in tv's and stuff :D

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes they'll be some info from CeBIT.

If you see anything, please post it here!

I want to buy a nice 120hz screen, but am not too psyched about the sammy. I did a little digging on the asus and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ULTXYIgTU

Fast forward to ~2 minutes, and he says it will be brought to market 3rd quarter. Nothing else is really said about it.

There's also a French? video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWyEzmQgtJM

I'm a bit surprised more people aren't interested in 120hz monitors.

I want to buy a nice 120hz screen, but am not too psyched about the sammy. I did a little digging on the asus and found this:

Fast forward to ~2 minutes, and he says it will be brought to market 3rd quarter. Nothing else is really said about it.

I'm interested, but I am not interested in 1680*1050 resolution. I refuse to go down from 1920*1200.

I am psyched for 120hz monitors, tn panel or not
I held off building my next pc until these 120hz monitors come out

I'm highly interested.

Although I'm not planning on getting a 120 Hz lcd panel anytime soon, but I would very much like for them to become more widespread and common (like 120/240hz TVs are becoming).

The reason for that is because I already have a 60 hz 1920x1200 lcd and I use my 21" crt for whenever I need higher refresh rates. I just don't have the need to spend money for another monitor atm.

Hey, thanks for posting the link! Finally know when this thing is supposed to come out.

I think I'm going to go with the samsung or viewsonic. I'd be tempted to wait but my secondary monitor is crapping out (slowly changing to darker and brighter as I write this), so thinking I'll get a new 120Hz for my main, and then move my current 19" main to my secondary. For me the 22" is an upgrade, but I can understand if you have a 24" how you might not want to go back down.

I also kinda want a 20", i prefer a smaller monitor for FPS games, which this is generally what alot of people will eventually purchase these models for.

I just dont like 24" TN gaming too much, even with it 3 feet from my face. Often play TF2 window moded with no window frames @ 1680xXXXX.

I also kinda want a 20", i prefer a smaller monitor for FPS games, which this is generally what alot of people will eventually purchase these models for.

I just dont like 24" TN gaming too much, even with it 3 feet from my face. Often play TF2 window moded with no window frames @ 1680xXXXX.

I like 1920x1080 for RTS titles (SOaSE, especially with the Entrenchment add-on, or GC2 Ultimate, both from Stardock, support this resolution directly). While later driving/racing titles also support the same resolution, I don't have enough RAM/GPU to drive them that tall, so I settle for 1280x720 for those (Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box in particular; however, the same applies to GRiD or NFS Undercover).

What's really frustrating is that older strategy titles often require mods to support any weidescreen resolution (I'm thinking of of C&C Generals and the Zero Hour add-on and C&C 3 in particular).

Shooters are even worse when it comes to supporting widescreen!

What all the hating of 24" TN? Color reproduction or input lag?

I meant to say i love my 24" TN for everything but FPS's

Why is everyone saying this will be a 22 inch? The photos at http://www.donanimhaber.com/Computex_2009_Asus_120Hz_Full_HD_LCD_monitorunu_gosterdi-14444.htm indicate 23.6 inches, 1920x1080. Or perhaps there are two?

Whoa... as far as I can tell, that's new information. Good find, man! When I google for VG242H, I get two pages of foreign language, so this may not have been reported on in English yet.

Info from the picture:
ASUS VG242H
Panel Size: 23.6" Widescreen
Optimal Resolution: 1920x1080
Brightness(max): 300 cd/m
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio: 20,000:1(max)
Frame Rate(max): 120Hz
Response Time: 2m (gray-to-gray)
Speakers: 2Wx2 Stereo
Input/Output: HDMI, DVI-D(Dual-Link), D-Sub, Audio-In Jack, S/PDIF Audio output, Earphone Jack

This monitor just got much more interesting. It will be TN of course, just like every other 1920x1080 LCD monitor on the market.

I meant to say i love my 24" TN for everything but FPS's

I've found that my H233H handles UT 3 just fine (1280x720 NI); however, I also have the Titan Pack *and* patch 5 applied (both patches bring the game to current, AKA Unreal Tournament 3: Black; also, patch 5 fixes a bug in the Ttian Pack).

The reduction in motion blur is what we're after with 120hz. With a 60hz LCD monitor each frame is displayed for 1000ms/60=~16.7ms, which is long enough to cause degree of "retinal burn in" (think about what happens after you've looked at a lightbulb). Obviously, 120hz halves the display time of each frame (assuming your source is delivering at least 120 frames per second).

Well I hope it can do 1080p, comes with DVI + HDMI, and has low input lag. That's about all I want. Throw in 120hz and it would be very nice!

But, can it do 120mhz at non-native res?

You could always get the graphics card to handle the black bars (image scaling), meaning the monitor would always receive data at its native resolution.

My samsung 2233rz is fucking awesome. IN for info on this asus 120hz model.

So is this vaporware or is there any solid news on it. When is the next gen of monitors coming out? I want something awesome to play the Sims 3 on. I know... don't laugh!

Viewsonic 22" 1680x1050 120Hz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116402&Tpk=120hz

I'll agree I'm waiting for 24 or 30" LED 120Hz LCDs, that's going to be my next screen (probably 30 if they ever come)

I'm a little peeved though that I can get a 120hz LCD TV no problem (and did! looks freaking amazing, Sony V5100, works great with a laptop too, kinda want to make it my main monitor) but computer LCD's are lagging.

I'm a little peeved though that I can get a 120hz LCD TV no problem

Well you can stop being peeved as soon as you read this post, because you can't get a 120Hz LCD TV. Unless you don't actually want to play games at 120Hz, which is the whole reason anyone on this forum cares about 120Hz monitors.

I read on the nvidia forums that the Mitsubishi and Samsung DLPs can accept a 120hz signal. Of course, there's no word on what the input lag on those models is like...

Not interested in 120hz monitors until I see one with a 1920 x 1200 resolution. It'd be nice to see a non-TN one as well, but I won't hold my breath. If its a TN done by, say, BenQ then I wouldn't mind at all.

V2400W + 120hz refresh = Very likely to be bought by me

Well you can stop being peeved as soon as you read this post, because you can't get a 120Hz LCD TV. Unless you don't actually want to play games at 120Hz, which is the whole reason anyone on this forum cares about 120Hz monitors.
Explain, please.

Explain, please.

The Samsung 2233rz and Viewsonic VX2265wm are the only true 120Hz LCD monitors; they take 120Hz from the video card. All 120Hz, 240Hz or 480Hz LCD TVs do not do this; they take 60Hz from the video card or other video source and, internally within the TV, insert duplicate frames to double the framerate. This makes film look better, but as far as gaming is concerned they are 60hz displays with extra input lag.

I read on the nvidia forums that the Mitsubishi and Samsung DLPs can accept a 120hz signal. Of course, there's no word on what the input lag on those models is like...

They can't. DLPs run at 960x1080@120Hz, so they take 2 frames to output 1080p. They won't accept a 1080p signal at 120Hz, but they are able to do "120Hz" 3D with a 60Hz signal by making one half-frame for each eye (and using an nVidia card and glasses.)

The Samsung 2233rz and Viewsonic VX2265wm are the only true 120Hz LCD monitors; they take 120Hz from the video card. All 120Hz, 240Hz or 480Hz LCD TVs do not do this; they take 60Hz from the video card or other video source and, internally within the TV, insert duplicate frames to double the framerate. This makes film look better, but as far as gaming is concerned they are 60hz displays with extra input lag.
Ohh, I see. Though, these TV's don't just duplicate frames (that wouldn't have any noticeable effect on a TFT-LCD) but generate new ones by motion interpolation. So movements (with a steady and suitable frame-rate) really get smoother. (It needs at least two of the original frames, or even more, that's why there is a long lag.)

I read on another forum that the frame interpolation techniques are far from perfect, and some people have reported feeling very uncomfortable when watching those TVs. Another option for fake 120hz TVs is to use frame insertion, where every other frame is just a black frame; this would halve the display time of every real frame, thus reducing retinal burn in.

I read on another forum that the frame interpolation techniques are far from perfect, and some people have reported feeling very uncomfortable when watching those TVs.
There are people who don't like it, but there are more people who do, and the rest is just don't care because they don't even notice the difference. :)

Perhaps doubling the frame-rate is just not enough on an LCD (for the relatively long time you see a frame), hence there are now LCD-TV's that quadruples the rate.

On the other hand, movies are intentionally shoot at 24 fps. At this rate it's dream-like, while at a faster rate it becomes just like a more everyday video.

Another option for fake 120hz TVs is to use frame insertion, where every other frame is just a black frame; this would halve the display time of every real frame, thus reducing retinal burn in.

Yes it also makes movements more natural -- but it also causes a 60 Hz (50 Hz in Europe) flicker...

AFAIK modern movie theatre projectors works the way they triples every frame and insert black gaps between each, as well. So it could be simulated by a 144 Hz TV (24*3*2). (But then you must cope with higher fps video material, too.)

In my opinion:

Even if your not getting 120fps while gaming, you have the advantage of anything higher than 60fps. With a 60hz refresh rate, your "maxed" out at that 60fps on your monitor. Now your video card is pushing more frames than that but your monitor is only showing 60. Granted, you'll get a smoother experience when your pushing more frames than your monitor can show, SO just having a monitor capable of 120hz allows you to take full advantage of your video card.

I don't think 1920x1200 is a good idea for a 22" monitor. Even if it were feasible from a bandwidth respect, I think manufacturers have anticipated that a 22" doesn't require higher resolution, with DPI fonts still not that great, current resolution seems fine for me too. Just getting a 120hz 22" monitor out is a good start to me.

24" 120hz monitors @ 1900X1200? Please, but they've gotta start somewhere.

Even if your not getting 120fps while gaming, you have the advantage of anything higher than 60fps. With a 60hz refresh rate, your "maxed" out at that 60fps on your monitor. Now your video card is pushing more frames than that but your monitor is only showing 60. Granted, you'll get a smoother experience when your pushing more frames than your monitor can show, SO just having a monitor capable of 120hz allows you to take full advantage of your video card.

I can set my VX2265wm to run in 60Hz mode and game with it and it is as utterly, horrifyingly bad as every other 60Hz LCD in existence. I would recommend for all the folk out there who think that 60Hz is fine for gaming pick one of these up and watch the difference with their own two eyes between gaming at 120Hz and at 60Hz, one after the other. It is not fine in the same sense of the word that playing TF2 on a 360 controller is not fine.

I can set my VX2265wm to run in 60Hz mode and game with it and it is as utterly, horrifyingly bad as every other 60Hz LCD in existence. I would recommend for all the folk out there who think that 60Hz is fine for gaming pick one of these up and watch the difference with their own two eyes between gaming at 120Hz and at 60Hz, one after the other. It is not fine in the same sense of the word that playing TF2 on a 360 controller is not fine.

Exactery my point.

It would be great if there we more 120hz lcd owners chiming about this. Comparing a 120hz CRT to a 60hz LCD looses some of it's legitimacy, but just retarding your monitor to 60hz for comparison is perfect. It seems all to obvious, but it seems like so many people are slow to jump on board with demanding 120hz monitors.

Anyone other owners sportin' these new 120hz monitors willing to give their impressions of your exact monitor simply being retarded to 60hz and jumping back up to the lovely 120hz?

Back