Hanif

Limp Gawd
have:
onkyo sr506
polk audio rm10s 5 speakers
HSU Research STF-1 Subwoofer

its essentially 5.1
im switching from ps3 to a pc what do u guys recommend

should i stick with these polk speakers and hsu sub or go bookshelf and keep the sub? the receiver is fairly new

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want ideas on how to connect the PC to Onkyo-SR605? If so, what does the PS3 have to do with anything? Also, what sound card do you currently have?

Anyways, if you are using onboard sound, you are gonna need this 3 of this 3.5mm to 2-RCA cable. That's gonna give you 5.1. You might also want to use the Optical connector in your motherboard if yours happens to have one, but be aware that not all motherboards support DDL. DDL is what allows you to convert 5.1 sounds in your PC into 5.1 Dolby Digital, because otherwise is gonna send 2.0 PCM.
In the other hand, if your computer has a X-Fi sound card already, then you have 2 options. Either go digital like I said before, since X-Fi cards support DDL. If your card doesn't have a digital connector, but is still an X-Fi, then you might want to try this cable. That pretty much does the same thing as the first one I mentioned, but that one is a little bit different. X-Fi cards only have 3 plugs for 7.1, therefore require a special cable.

Ok my friend, hope that helps. And please, do a search next time, cuz I'm getting tired of answering this very same question several times a week, no lie.

Ok my friend, hope that helps. And please, do a search next time, cuz I'm getting tired of answering this very same question several times a week, no lie.

Nobody is forcing you to reply to this tread and he didn't ask specifically for your help.

op, you need to give more details, sound card or onboard?

Last edited:
have:
onkyo sr506
polk audio rm10s 5 speakers
HSU Research STF-1 Subwoofer

its essentially 5.1
im switching from ps3 to a pc what do u guys recommend

should i stick with these polk speakers and hsu sub or go bookshelf and keep the sub? the receiver is fairly new

I'd say it depends primarily in the size/arrangement of your pc. If you're using a 40/50" hdtv as a monitor then by all means keep the rm10's. However, if you're sitting at the computer you'll probably want bookshelves since they're more designed for nearfield listening.

That said, if you have optical audio out I'd just try to run that to your receiver, position your speakers where they'd be in the computer setup and seeing how they sound. If they sound fine to you, then no need to change around your setup. If the soundstage feels disjointed or off you can either try software like SRS Sandbox, repositioning, or switch to bookshelves.

...Nobody is forcing you to reply to this tread and he didn't ask specifically for your help...
Jesus man, relax. I was been sarcastic. If I was mad about it, I would not had taken my time to help him, and provide him with all the required links. Besides, I love helping, because I learn myself in the process.

...should i stick with these polk speakers and hsu sub or go bookshelf and keep the sub? the receiver is fairly new
Oh, I see you edited your first post a bit from last time I replied.

Anyways, I wanted to say you need to give us more information on what you have to work with, and what do you really want to achieve. Or are you simply trying to find ideas to incorporate the PC into your current PS3 experience. If that is so, then you can do what I said before, and connect the PS3 using optical, and connect your Pc using optical or 5.1 analog input. Good thing you have a nice receiver that allows you to do various configurations.
One thing I just noticed, is that your receiver has Zone2. Not sure you want to have maybe the 5.1 for movies, and the a separate 2.0 setup for your regular browsing. I mean, you easily have both connected in your PC, and just switch back and forth from your 2 setups depending on what you want to do.
Or perhaps you simply want to change your speakers. And if that is, what is your budget?

I dunno, I'm just trowing ideas to try to figure out what you want to do.

If you have more budget to spare, I would upgrade those Polks. Entry level Polks are kinda bad, imo.

I will upgrade the polks to a 2.1 system once I sell them
I will buy these - Bose 161 or Infinity 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (P152)

Oooh you said the B word. People here seem to be very passionate when the name Bose comes up. To be honest, I have never heard their stuff in great detail though I read a lot of things about them in various audio forums (most not being too complimentary).

I don't know how much the Infinities are but there seems to be many decent bookshelfs out there for decent price (Energy, Behringer, Paradigm, etc).

Edit: I have found certain brands get very passionate responses in various forums. If you say you think Silenx fans are wonderful in the SilentPCReview forum, you are likely to get pummeled with responses. If you say Apevia PSUs are great in Jonnyguru's forum (or any decent forum on hardware) then you will get some interesting colorful responses. And I guess if you say Bose, it sparks some interesting coversation here.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and if anyone says that the [H] audio forum camp is a bunch of Bose bashing people who want to give that brand a hard time, here are some other threads regarding Bose.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3266
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7596_10...wstuffworks.com/bose-lifestyle-v20-review.htm
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/106205.html
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/basics/141741-help-save-me-bose.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090429152452AAdcnFg
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-55910.html

The last one is quite humorous regarding the BosePro posts vs everyone else's posts.

It's not that Bose is mind numbingly awful, its just that they're just bad for the money. The bookshelf speakers aren't too bad in this regard. The real enemies are the expensive Bose Lifestyle systems (tiny cube speakers and 3-2-1 system). Those are faaaaaaar too expensive.

Ok, so I guess what he wanted after all was new speakers.
The question remains, what is the budget?

Back