Opinions on Fry's B&M Open box deals

EtherealConstruct

Limp Gawd
I've seen some insanely good deals on open box products at the store and I'm just wondering if I shouldn't be too hasty in jumping on them? They seem to be pretty good about marking whats wrong with them, at least from my experience returning a few items.

The second you walk out of the store, open up the used or refurbished item and make sure that you're getting the product you're buying. One of my buddies once bought an open-box TP3-430 430W PSU, got home, and found that there was a Raidmax PSU in the box. Good thing Fry's was cool and all and accepted that their own guys made a mistake but still kinda sucks. At least my friend got a new TP3-430 for the price of the open-box:)

Also see if those open-boxes are still covered by manufacturer warranty.

I buy open box stuff when it's cheap all the time at Fry's. I've never run into a substitution à la Best Buy. You get regular return privileges for all open box stuff, which is 30 days for most items. It's really not a gamble. If you see boxes with white stickers, be sure to check out what's missing to see if it's important to you.

My P7N SLI was an open box item for $75. The only thing missing was the SLI cable. I think it was returned because it had an old BIOS on it and the board woulnd't boot with a 45nm processor installed.

The thing about open box items is, you never know if the last person zapped the thing with ESD. Since ESD can have a latent effect, the board could fail long after the return period has expired.

... then again, some of their New-In-Box stuff isn't very reliable either, lol.

Aren't most fry's open box items from returns only like 5% off? It usually doesn't seem worth it.

Back