XFX Entering Power Supply Arena

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Don’t think there are enough choices out there for power supplies? Looks like XFX agrees with you because they’re throwing their hat into the PSU ring. Legit Reviews has the scoop on their forums, complete with pics.

XFX is getting ready to announce their very first power supply line at Computex Taipei 2009 next month. Details have emerged on the XFX 850W Black Edition power supply, which features one single +12V rail with a massive 70Amp/840W rating. The power supply is modular as you can see in the image below and is 80 plus silver certified, since it is 88% efficient.

The XFX power supply has a really appealing design to it. I hope it performs as well as it looks.

I'm all for competition and options. I am curious as to what their warranty will be.

Pretty "extreme" looking power supply. I sure do want an extreme power supply to power my extreme systems!

Looks like a combo of a honeycomb and windmill powersupply with green LEDs.

[H]adouken!;1034141832 said:
make a blue version and im sold, would look sooooo sweet in my antec 1200!!!

looks cool, blue lights are like a window on a car, every comp ever made has them....

And coming soon XFX Cases, Memory, Displays, Sound Cards and etc. :D

Interested to see how it performs and glad it be single rail.

I would prefer red to go with my XFX 4870 and my red Q-Micra v2E. If it passes Hard's powersupply testing and comes in red with atleast a 5 year warranty I'm sold.

If this proves itself through testing, I'd replace my Corsair 650 with it.

Awesome. Can't wait to see what it's made of. I'm about due for another PSU anyways...

80+ silver. not bad at all. Hopefully that comes from quality parts too.

It looks like Legit Reviews is down right now but I will definately check that out. XFX had made my last 2 graphics cards. No complaints with the hardware. Or the warranty.

i love the way this looks. If it performs how they say it will finally dethrone my corsair 620.

damn that thing is hot...it needs a love hole....

Let's hope the quality of their PSUs will be as good as their graphics cards.

Personally, though, I think XFX is a little over-the-top and gaudy when it comes to the aesthetics of their products. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want my PC to reek of "OMGzogmEXTreMEgaMER" status, which is why I try my best to stay away from anime babes and giant dragons (or bipedal wolves, in XFX's case) on my graphics cards. But hey, if the price is right and the build is good, I'd still get it.

There are already some 90+ ;)

thats why i said it was "pretty good" and not "outstanding" ;D but ive read the ~800w ballpark area is difficult for many PSU manufacturers, and i believe it.. they either cut down the ambient operating temperature certification to artificially inflate the wattage rating, or try to link multiple little PSUs into a single housing because they cant design a simple single transformer board without making it HUGE.. and sometimes both (hello ultra im talking to you)! but 850w@70A 12v rail with such relatively high efficiency and 50°C cert, within a "normal" sized housing hints that this might be a solid part. i hope so, because PSU standards have been severely lacking lately.

hopefully lifetime warranty just like their graphic cards

XFX graphic cards have double-lifetime warranty. Be nice if the PSUs have it as well.

Although PSUs are upgraded less often than GPUs, making them less likely to be re-sold, so maybe they won't bother...

Really looks like XFX themed, pretty nice. Hopefully there will be some reviews soon.

I hope they make a "non hideous green" edition.

Back