Accelero hd4870x2

For those of you who still have one/care enough:
vyl3dl.jpg

Yeah, I think I might go in for one as well. Unrealsword, can you post some impressions one you get it installed?

man that things a BEAST.. but its damn good to see 3rd party cooling coming out for the 4870x2.. would be cool if it could run on the 5870x2 unless ati desides to change the mounting setup..

Initial impressions: whoa its huge. It didn't take that long to install (just the screws that hold the plate were a bastard because they have springs, you gotta REALLY push down on the screws).

Stock cooler idle 29% fan speed temp: core 1 51c core 2 46c
Accelero hd4870x2 29% fan speed: core 1 35c core 2 31c

Sound stock 39% is 2x LOUDER then accelero 100% fan speed. That's insane!
VDDC with accelero temps:
41c 42c 42c

Ingame: going to test in a second

Just bought 2 from the EWIZ link.

Thank you for the heads up on these unrealsword :)

Ingame fan speed of 60% on accelero. It's so quiet I can ever hear my cpu fan on my true which I cant usually hear!

Stock 46% fan speed Left 4 dead (VERY loud stock fan, my biggest gripe was because it was so damn loud. very shader intensive, gives me high temps).

Core 1: 82c, core 2: 81c
VCD: 92c 95c 95c

Accelero hd4870x2 60% fan speed (Dead silent).
Core 1: 46c core2: 44c
VCD: 69c 70c 71c

Sorry forgot cam at friends place, will get it tomorow. In the meantime:

UT3 ingame temp. Left is core 2, right is core 1
2edb7zc.jpg

That's real nice!

Great timing for us as well. The GF just picked up her copy of SIMS3, which by the threads in the PC Gaming forum, seems to be a vid card killer. Apparently it really puts the GPU's to work and her card has gone in to 100% fan mode more than once.

We got the HW monitor installed to her PC yesterday, after reading the threads about SIMS3 overheating cards. She starts off at 49c as expected, and I just...let her play at the fan speed of 50% (We find this to be a happy medium between noise/cooling). I knew we were in for something, as the "whining" that occurs with some cards is REALLY bad with her X2. Sure enough, just launching the game and rendering the first screen the card starts screaming. (great...)

Her card rocketed to 102c (that's like 200+ F??) Sure enough fan goes to 100 and tries to cool itself off. We found that if we set the stock fan speed to 75% (she went with 80% in the end) She can play the game and HWMonitor shows a max of 186F while she plays. While that's not a fantastic temp, and the card does handle by spec, I cant wait to see what these new coolers do to help out :)

Thanks again for the link to the deal - hope to get these in soon!

:eek:

Very nice, I'm definetly picking one of these up once I get some money :mad:

Can you run the test with higher res and no AA. Both cards werent fully used were they?

Test was run at 1920x1080 (my max) with xtreme burn mode on. The cards were used near fully.

Well rivatuner is showing usage somewhere around 90-95% for each gpu in your screenshot but still those are very impressive temps for a hd 4870x2.

Is it possible to replace those fans with bulkier more powerful 92mm ones? Heatsink design looks great, seems the only thing that hold is back is insufficient airflow.

Can you please run another furmark run with fans at 100% this time?

wow 49C running furmark.. damn thats an awesome temp.. even with my duorb on my 8800GT it hit the 60+C mark.. i havent tried running furmark on my other system with the accelero S1 since i have some cheap 80mm fans on it..

the product pictures made that thing look huge.. once you put it on the card it doesnt look all that big.. looks like it actually has enough room to run 2 4870x2's in quad crossfire..

Ahh...very nice!

Mine should be in tomorrow - can't wait!

It definately looks like a 3 slot setup. The bottom most pic seems to show the 2 slots the card normally uses, and the fans seem to clearly be in line with the slot right above, making it a 3 slot solution.

I have 2 X2's, so I'd be willing to see how well they fit since both PC's will be down for the upgrade.

OOOoooo....

For you guys that currently own this cooler, do you actually think it would be possible to run 2 of these on the P6T-Deluxe board? I'm very interested in these coolers, but not if I can't keep my quadfire setup going.

Thanks,

Edit: Just saw HammerAZ's post, please report back on your findings on dual X2's.

there is no way 2 X2's will fit side by side.

I'm still battling installing the first cooler - after 2 hours I quit and went to bed.

The stock cooler is flat - thus is as tall as the dual brackets. The new cooler's fans stick up a good quarter to half inch above those brackets, thus taking up space directly in a 3rd slot. This would be where the 2nd X2 would install. While I've not physically put them in the same box yet, I dont see it happening.

I'm not sure if I straight up goofed the cooler install on my 1st X2, but for the life of me I cannot get the screws to reconnect to the GPU mounts. Its bad enough that the bracket is bent to induce a spring like tension to keep continual force of "pulling" the cooler to the GPU. Add to that spring loaded screw mounts and the entire setup fights against you to put the screws in.

Dont get me wrong, I understand the concept behind the design, but WTF - I need a mini DeWalt to even attempt to screw these in!

I ended up searching through my box of PC screws and found 2 similar threaded screws with a little more shank. This helped me install the GPU bracket to 1 GPU...unfortunately I can only get 2 of the 4 screws installed on the 2nd GPU. I'm at the point of saying F it, and just leaving it as is, as I have no more longer GPU screws. The suck part is, even if I attempted to re-install the stock cooler, I still have to use the same tension/spring loaded brackets - which I dont see myself getting back on any easier - never mind the fact that the stock thermal pads were destroyed upon removing the stock cooler.

At this point I'm seriously considering just leaving my stock cooler on.

Apparently I'm not on crack...(well, ok maybe a little :p)

I just read a review over at Tom's and it seems everyone is screaming about the nightmare this install is. I'm not the only one who's had to put it down and come back due to bleeding fingers...

What worked for me was rotating the x bracket several times until I got two aligning holes to go in easy. It may seem crazy but turning them around really did work (in one hole that I couldn't screw in even with no pressure went in easy after I turned it)! Also you could remove the little black block things on the xclamp for easier installation. But yea it was a bitch (I had to push down with all my body weight while screwing).

i was thinking myself that the X bracket may be designed to go in 1 way over another...I was able to get 3 of the 4 in, but the 4th just wont go in...if I look closely, the female end on the GPU cooler is JUST got enough space to see a gap...so it doesnt touch the PCB...and I'm certain I need JUST that much more length on my screw to catch...

I even went as far as backing the screws out to get the springs off to get a little more distance...

I cant even begin to think of a place that sells the same thread but longer screws. That is WAY too much work with risk of punching the screwdriver through the PCB for a $50 cooler on a $500 purchase.

This sounds like a major design flaw. I have installed after market cooling on graphics cards before but never saw anything like this.

And BTW it's no longer a $50 part. They are OOS on the ewiz site.

And the label looks like just a cheap paper stick-on in the pictues. Is it really like that?

It looks like it would be possbile to countersink the x bracket a bit to give you that extra bit of length in the screw. BTW the screw is an M2 (metric) and in the docs it looks like
a flathead.. So you may be able to find something on the internet.

Where are you guys buying the coolers? I can't find them anywhere online.

that absolutely sucks you guys are having installation problems

wtf are these companies thinking? These cards dont come cheap and then on top of that they make it hard to install and make it expensive, what a bunch of assholes

thanks god my muashi took like 3 minutes to put on. I'm happy at least scythe did their homework.

Back