Asus P6T7 WS or EVGA 'Classified' vs Asus P6T Deluxe

Burner27

Supreme [H]ardness
Asus P6T7 WS or EVGA 'Classified' vs Asus P6T Deluxe--

What is the difference (other than the crazy prices of the EVGA and P6T7 WS)?

Why would someone choose these monster mobos over the P6T Deluxe?

The Classified board is designed with a particular layout and feature set to appeal to overclockers and people with very high-end systems. There are two versions of it, one of which has an onboard NF200 chip which gives it the ability to run full 16x/16x/16x tri-SLI as well.

The P6T7 is really designed for workstations meant for large-scale GPGPU uses. It has two NF200 chips onboard, which means that it can run seven PCI-E slots at the same time, in a 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x configuration. However, this is tremendous overkill for most people, since a gaming rig cannot take advantage of that many video cards. The only real advantage for gamers/enthusiasts is the fact that all 7 slots are physical 16x slots, so it allows a lot of flexibility in terms of card positioning.

The P6T Deluxe is a good board, but compared to the above two, it does not have the capability to run tri-SLI, let alone in a full 16x/16x/16x configuration. It's a great board for people using two-card SLI or Crossfire setups, but for people who want to go the extra mile and run three cards, it doesn't have a layout that will allow that.

In your situation depending on whehter or not you are looking for very high levels of overclocking and additional features will determine which board to go with. I think the P6T Deluxe all around is very hard to beat especially with the mature nature of the bios and its refinement of just working. The deluxe does actually have support for tri sli just not a full 3 x 16 layout but it is debatle from a performance standpoint if you will see a difference between 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 or (at x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 mode) modes that are offered. Additionally if you do not need SAS HD support you may want to consider the standard P6T.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359

The deluxe does actually have support for tri sli
Yes, technically it does. However, practically, it does not. You need to have a single-slot card that supports tri-SLI, of which there are none, which means that you need to watercool the card, which is a big added expense if you aren't using watercooling already. Plus, the board does not come with an SLI bridge that will allow you to use tri-SLI, so you'd need to find a flexible tri-SLI bridge that fits the board, which is a bit difficult. So, yes, tri-SLI is technically supported, but it is not practical at all. And I find it easier to just say that it isn't available on that board rather than explaining all this ;).

Would you recommend the rampage?

Never used one, they've gotten pretty cheap though, I have a P6T6 WS and like it, haven't had any stability issues running it at 3.36 with it crunching 24/7.

Is the P6T6 worth the money over the P6T7 WS? Or in general is the P6T6 WS a better choice over the P6T deluxe or the other mobos I linked to? I don't game very much.

So performance wise- I am not gaining anything over a P6T deluxe?
No, no significant performance difference.
I am finding it hard to find a P6T Deluxe v1 nowadays. Is this because the v2 is out?
Yes. The original P6T Deluxe has been discontinued and was replaced with the V2 which is identical except for the lack of a SAS controller.
Is there a comparable motherboard option from EVGA or Gigabyte? I was considering these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039
There are several comparable boards, including those two.
Would you recommend the rampage?
I don't know if you're referring to the Rampage II Extreme or the Rampage II Gene, but both are good boards.
Is the P6T6 worth the money over the P6T7 WS? Or in general is the P6T6 WS a better choice over the P6T deluxe or the other mobos I linked to? I don't game very much.
The P6T7 is $100 more expensive than the P6T6 WS Revolution. If you won't be gaming or doing any GPGPU stuff, it would be pointless to go with either.

In order to give you a recommendation, I need you to state specifically what you plan on doing with this PC. Otherwise, I'm just flying blind. Also, I recommend that you go read some reviews yourself, because I'm not going to summarize info about every single X58 board out there when the information is readily available on the internet and all you have to do to see if a board has what you want in it is fire up Google.

In order to give you a recommendation, I need you to state specifically what you plan on doing with this PC. Otherwise, I'm just flying blind. Also, I recommend that you go read some reviews yourself, because I'm not going to summarize info about every single X58 board out there when the information is readily available on the internet and all you have to do to see if a board has what you want in it is fire up Google.

Gaming--sometimes. Mostly for coding/re-encoding video to other formats. I have 7 SATA devices however. So the v2 of the P6T Deluxe is not helpful.

How many video cards? If you'll only be using one or two, then it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference which board you get. Just go with whatever you like the most.

How many video cards? If you'll only be using one or two, then it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference which board you get. Just go with whatever you like the most.

One but it does matter as I need a board with 7 SATA ports.

One but it does matter as I need a board with 7 SATA ports.
Well, many i7 boards have 7 or more SATA ports. Any of the ones that do will be fine for your needs, although I would personally go for something on the cheaper side that still has good reviews, since there's no need to spend a lot of money on a board with more features that you won't end up using anyway.

Also, you may also want to consider going with a board that doesn't have that many SATA ports and just getting a PCI-E controller card to stick into it and give you some more ports.

What about eVGA boards? I have been reading reviews and each has their own 'quirks'. It seems on Newegg that the eVGA boards are popular.

Thoughts?

yes the nf200 chipset does run warm.. I have a fan blowing on the NB chipset and through heatpipes it cools it down a lot. It has some waterblocks for the chipset/nf200 though I will get oneday soon here.

If you want to save a little money the Asus P6T is pretty good. It's what I have. When I was researching the sub-$300 mobos a few weeks ago before buying this one, pretty much all of them had some sort of problem, but the P6T's only quirk was that it couldn't return from Sleep... until you update the bios. No big deal.

It's essentially the same as the Deluxe V2 except it does not have an SAS controller, and doesn't have the 16+2 phase power design which made no difference in tests. It does however have a better layout for Tri-SLI though, but only at x16/x16/x4.

No, no significant performance difference.

Yes. The original P6T Deluxe has been discontinued and was replaced with the V2 which is identical except for the lack of a SAS controller.

There are several comparable boards, including those two.

I don't know if you're referring to the Rampage II Extreme or the Rampage II Gene, but both are good boards.

The P6T7 is $100 more expensive than the P6T6 WS Revolution. If you won't be gaming or doing any GPGPU stuff, it would be pointless to go with either.

i'm also planing to buy ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer motherboard [along side with intel i7 975] , but i want to know is this motherboard is ideal for gaming and other multi-media purposes , as i am a gaming enthusiast

i'm also planing to buy ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer motherboard [along side with intel i7 975] , but i want to know is this motherboard is ideal for gaming and other multi-media purposes , as i am a gaming enthusiast

Unless everything you own for your motherboard is PCI-Express then it's gonna be useless to you, it has no regular PCI slots or anything like that. For gaming and multimedia the Classified is obviously a lot better, and the layout is great, for folding then the Supercomputer wins, no contest.

It will be no better for gaming than any other Tri-SLI-supporting i7 board, of which there are many. For gaming, I would recommend something like the ASUS Rampage II Extreme, ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, eVGA X58 SLI, or eVGA X58 SLI Classified instead.

P6T7 also serves if you have a lot of pci-e cards, possibly including:

Hardware RAID cards
Sound
LAN (gotta love genuine Intel LAN)
TV/Video tuning
(USB 3.0 in the future maybe)

Just to name a few.

i have one more question does the eVGA X58 SLI Classified supports dd3 dominator's 2000mhz ? can't find anywhere

i have one more question does the eVGA X58 SLI Classified supports dd3 dominator's 2000mhz ? can't find anywhere
I cant see why not as the REII does it. I will let you know when i get my EK FC-block for the classy. One thing i do know is that it requier a lot of QPI/DRAM juice to be stable@Uncore of 4000MHz. Way more than 1,35V. Have to see if Classy is better on this point than REII who wants 1.48V+ for it with my CPU/board combo.

best to start your own thread, perhaps you'd get better replies.;)

I owned the evga classified motherboard and thought it was awesome. But to be honest, I have my i7 975 with the supercomputer mobo and I've been more than amazed. My score in crysis,3dvantage and everything went way up. I purchased it thinking it was'nt going to be that much different but hell... I cant believe how freakin fast it is. was amazed!!!.. But then again I'm running 3 way sli gtx 285's at true x16 speed. Also, the reason why I got this was because I'm waiting on my 2 asus mars cards. Wanted an asus motherboard. Regardless, form personal experience it;s expensive, but if you want to overclock your cpu to 4.40 ghz prime stable without doing any sort of tweaking. This is where it's at. :D

I also have 6gb ddr3 dominator 2000mhz. Runs amazing on the supercomputer mobo..
I can honestly say though I love the way the classified looked in my case.. On the other hand I've never been able to run a processor stable at 4.40ghz on a mobo at 32 celcius using 1.416 volts.
:)

Back