DAEMON Tools Lite Alternative?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I use to be a huge DAEMON Tools fan, however I am having issues with it on several Windows 7 boxes. I know the Pro edition works fine, but not "Lite" which is the free one. I also tried the beta driver update with no luck. Besides, they cut too much from the free Lite edition such as the nice interface.

Thus I was wondering if there is any good alternatives? I only need max of 2 virtual drives and I don't care about built in burner support. Just want to mount images, nice and simple.

Looks like it will be Virtual CloneDrive, but any other suggestions? I won't be able to install until later this week so figured I'd ask the experts. :c)

Virtual CloneDrive

works great in w7 and its light as it comes, mount/unmount and thats it. upto 5 drives.

Virtual CloneDrive is free and works fine under Windows 7 64-bit.
It does not even need a reboot after install.

I use to be a huge DAEMON Tools fan, however I am having issues with it on several Windows 7 boxes. I know the Pro edition works fine, but not "Lite" which is the free one. I also tried the beta driver update with no luck. Besides, they cut too much from the free Lite edition such as the nice interface.

The daemon forums offer very easy directions on how to fix it on Windows 7. I had issues too but now it's working great.

Got a chance to use Virtual Drive, damn I'm in love!

Good-Bye Daemon Tools.

Got a chance to use Virtual Drive, damn I'm in love!

Good-Bye Daemon Tools.

Thank god for Windows 7, without it I would have never used this gem of a program.

+10 for slysoft virtual drive.

used it to install diablo 2 which has 4 disk and when it says insert next disk you just double click the ISO and dam done.

Thank god for Windows 7, without it I would have never used this gem of a program.

+10 for slysoft virtual drive.

used it to install diablo 2 which has 4 disk and when it says insert next disk you just double click the ISO and dam done.

True! With Daemon Tools, it would take like 10-15 seconds to mount the image, but with Virtual Drive it's almost instant! Great stuff.

Okay, you guys win. I'd been clinging to Daemon Tools. I gave CloneDrive a try back in an early Windows 7 beta, and I had poor experience with it. But I just gave it another shot and it's definitely faster.

Okay, you guys win. I'd been clinging to Daemon Tools. I gave CloneDrive a try back in an early Windows 7 beta, and I had poor experience with it. But I just gave it another shot and it's definitely faster.

Looks like they just added Windows 7 support in the end of March, that's probably why. :c)

True! With Daemon Tools, it would take like 10-15 seconds to mount the image, but with Virtual Drive it's almost instant! Great stuff.

I tested Daemon Tools on Win 7 32bit last night and it works just fine if you install the SPTD driver with admin privileges first.
(I tested with SPTD v1.58 and v1.59, not sure if earlier versions work)
Then install Daemon tools and set the main .exe to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Also, in Win 7 there is zero delay opening an image, its so quick, I thought it had cheated lol.

I tested Daemon Tools on Win 7 32bit last night and it works just fine if you install the SPTD driver with admin privileges first.
(I tested with SPTD v1.58 and v1.59, not sure if earlier versions work)
Then install Daemon tools and set the main .exe to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Also, in Win 7 there is zero delay opening an image, its so quick, I thought it had cheated lol.

Either way, I like CloneDrive better. I don't care for Daemon anymore, plus they always try to have you install all that toolbar crap.

I've been using Daemon Tools for years now ... because of this thread , I'm going to give CloneDrive a go ..thanks!

Never had issues with Daemon but the company that makes CloneDrive is good. I've been using other software by them for a long time now.

Well, as much as I'm digging VCD, I had to go back to Daemon Tools. CloneDrive doesn't do mdf images, boooo.

Well, as much as I'm digging VCD, I had to go back to Daemon Tools. CloneDrive doesn't do mdf images, boooo.

Actually most of the time it WILL open images that it doesnt think it supports. Just force it to open the file (change the file browser to 'All Files')

Add another vote for VCD. I used to use MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM (freeware) for a brief while after I gave up on Daemon Tools, but VCD blows them both away for simplicity and elegance.

Ya so far the best virtual drive for win 7 is Virtual clonedrive.

Other ones I tried are lacking shell features or does not work as well as I wanted to.

ANOTHER vote for Virtual Clone Drive. I've been using it since before it was cool, and love it.
Very stable, always there when you need it. I'd rank it right up there with 7Zip.

I haven't had any problems with DAEMON Tools Lite in W7 RC... should I? Maybe I'm doing something wrong :confused:
Same.
No issues with Daemon tools either in W7 64bit, installs, requires reboot, finishes install when the system comes back up. None of this run with admin privileges or install SPTD separately stuff.

Worked this was in Vista 64 and W7 64 for several installs.

I know I necro'ing an old thread, but . . .

Need to mount Blu Ray titles. Is Daemon tools the only game for that? I'd live to use Virtual Clone Drive, but I don't see that it does BR.

Back