So America's Army on UE3 is coming to Steam, huh?

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
This is an interesting development.

Pre-loading already started, it launches next week. "America's Army 3", as they are calling it, seems to be a whole lot like the earlier games in the series - just running on the UE3 engine.

Still "free", too (as in, you can't buy it, but you pay for it every couple weeks with ur tax dollars :p ). I like the idea of integration with Steamworks, though. The community and friends overlays working in-game, to keep in touch with your mates playing other titles...heck, even Achievements are in.

(Oh, and I'll take VAC any day over Punkbuster for actually doing a halfway decent jobs of keeping the h@x at bay)

this game is a development training for the programmers working in the army. Main thing they did was make them develop on a new engine. That's why it doesn't look like much. UE3 is a bit old now.

AA is pretty awesome for a free game.

For a free game? Hell, AA is pretty awesome for any kind of game.

I really like that it makes playing on pubs borderline acceptable from a challenge angle. The 'honor' system tends to ensure that you can find a server where the people capable of playing on it aren't complete toolboxes, and have a sense of what it takes to make a team work.

i will pre-load it when my cap resets (c'mon saturday!). i just hope that we get some New Zealand servers. Ive never played an AA game before

Nice. Preloading, I hope it's good, I played a little AA (can't remember what version) it was fun, I think I stopped playing cause of lack of good pinging servers, that's usually the reason I don't play a good FPS. Here's to hoping there are some decent servers near me and enough players to have some interesting games.

I played many many hours on the original versions, Pipeline map was awesome. Looking forward to the updated engine, thanks op.

[guess] Because you can't respawn, no bunny hopping, and you have to complete the lengthy training and marksman courses before you can even USE the sniper rifle? [/guess]

For those of us who have played earlier games in the series, this one seems very nice. For those who haven't...well, it's no Quake, Counterstrike, or Unreal Tournament, that's for sure.

I played many many hours on the original versions, Pipeline map was awesome. Looking forward to the updated engine, thanks op.

Yeah, lots of good times on Pipeline. I always liked 'Bridge', too. The great thing about that one was that, if one team was materially better co-ordinated than the other - doesn't matter if they were defense or offense, you'd completely STEAMROLL the other team. From either side! Not too many games and maps can do that.

Because you can't respawn, no bunny hopping

THIS is what makes the game good

============================================

how about the older maps are they going to be included too?

Awesome, thanks. UE3 is a natural progression for this game, as the previous versions were built on UE2.5.

Eh doesn't support 16:9 or 4:3 resolutions. 16:10 ONLY. If you have either 4:3 or 16:9 you are forced to take black bars. I will pass.

They fix it, ill play.

Last edited:
Eh doesn't support 16:9 or 4:3 resolutions. 16:10 ONLY. If you have either 4:3 or 16:9 you are forced to take black bars. I will pass.

They fix it, ill play.

Any particular reason you assume that? It's UE3 engine, I have a hard time imaging they would break the resolution support in the rendering engine?

I installed the previous revision a few months back and still haven't touched the game :(
Perhaps I'll uninstall and try this new one...and ACTUALLY play this time and hope that it's worth the hype. However, it's going to cut into my TF2 time...

Any particular reason you assume that? It's UE3 engine, I have a hard time imaging they would break the resolution support in the rendering engine?

Well any engine can render at any resolution pretty much, its a case of what they enable to the users through the games menu and config files. EA have a history of not supporting widescreen correctly, they often dont support resolutions greater than 1280x1024 in games like NFS and when you have a widescreen monitor they do vert- instead of horz+

I have no particular reason to expect that they're going to change their ways unless they specifically announce so and even then I'm skeptical they can do it correctly. They've proved over and over again to simply either ignore this topic or deliberately not impliment it either through their own stupidity and ignorance or because of some twisted warped logic.

EA have had years and years and many games to get benefit of the doubt they always fail.

Well any engine can render at any resolution pretty much, its a case of what they enable to the users through the games menu and config files. EA have a history of not supporting widescreen correctly, they often dont support resolutions greater than 1280x1024 in games like NFS and when you have a widescreen monitor they do vert- instead of horz+

I have no particular reason to expect that they're going to change their ways unless they specifically announce so and even then I'm skeptical they can do it correctly. They've proved over and over again to simply either ignore this topic or deliberately not impliment it either through their own stupidity and ignorance or because of some twisted warped logic.

EA have had years and years and many games to get benefit of the doubt they always fail.

This game has nothing to do with EA? Why would their bizarre programming deficiencies impact it?

As to resolution - I wouldn't say that "any engine can render it". Obviously, they need to code the game not to 'stretch' the objects or anything silly like that.

[guess] Because you can't respawn, no bunny hopping, and you have to complete the lengthy training and marksman courses before you can even USE the sniper rifle? [/guess]

That's like saying Gran Turismo sucks because you can't shoot other cars. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because I played the game.

4:3 = black bars on top and bottom
16:9 = black bars on left and right

This is great because it was always such a hassle getting the install file back in the day. Can't wait to play this. I'm a former Pipeline addict but Headquarters Raid was my all time favorite. Many hours with the SAW on that map.

man I loved HQ Raid. Getting a friend on teamspeak and sneaking through the tunnels a few minutes in was the best :D

Thanks for mentioning this!

I played the orriginal AA back in the day and had quite a bit of fun.

I'm very excited about this new game. It looks like it has some real potential.

Pre-loading now to be ready to play on the 17th. Awesome.

I lost count of how many hours I played in the original... I remember hitting 80 honor though, so it had to be a ton. I'm looking forward to AA3, though there were more than a few issues with the beta. If it's all fixed, I'll have found my staple FPS game.

If not... they'd better fix it!

Because I played the game.

4:3 = black bars on top and bottom
16:9 = black bars on left and right

Are you sure it's the game that's doing it and not something on your end?

Your monitor may have a correct aspect ratio setting that automaticaly puts black bars for things that aren't at it's native res.

Then also Nvidia has this feature in it's drivers, if you have it on it will do the same.

And lastly in teh game options you have to make sure you select both the right resolution AND the aspect ratio, they clearly have an option for 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10.

Are you sure it's the game that's doing it and not something on your end?

Your monitor may have a correct aspect ratio setting that automaticaly puts black bars for things that aren't at it's native res.

Then also Nvidia has this feature in it's drivers, if you have it on it will do the same.

And lastly in teh game options you have to make sure you select both the right resolution AND the aspect ratio, they clearly have an option for 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10.

100% sure its not on my end. Check it out weds. The option even has a little picture of it doing blackbars for 16:9 and 4:3. Check it out yourself.

I never played any of the games in this series. I read up on it and it seems like it'll be pretty cool, so preloaded it is!

II have it loaded now so i am cooler than the people that don't have it loaded.

I am going to slaughter everyone and make them so mad they all leave the game.

Back